Correct Board Type In Shower

Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,184

Correct Board Type In Shower

so im on another board and currently having a heated debate with another member as to what the correct type of board is to use in a custom shower/bath.

i responded to the post stating to use greenboard on the ceiling and walls around the shower but to use either durock or densesheild within it and end the board the next stud past the shower. another member responded to this stating that regular drywall is perfectly fine as long as schluter membrane is used. how do you get the message to someone that regular drywall is not acceptable and wont pass an inspection

so whos using durock and who's using densesheild. on our jobs we use densesheild. we usually go above code whenever possible, the only issues we've had with inspectors is getting them onsite when we want them there and having engineers paperwork ready when they do arrive

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 226

Re: Correct Board Type In Shower

Standard drywall is perfectly acceptable when using Kerdi.

Of course, local (antiquated) building codes may say otherwise but oh well....then you're stuck with the overkill of CBU.

I prefer the use of 100% DensArmor in a bathroom and just Kerdi the areas to be tiled.

Bottom line, if you're using Kerdi, trust it to do its job. No moisture is getting past it so why worry about what's under it? Let the heated debate begin...

Last edited by angus242; 04-02-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to ApgarNJ

Dens Armor is awesome. I guess you could also use Densshield and then kerdi
Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
Dens Armor is awesome. I guess you could also use Densshield and then kerdi

No need. DensShield is very similar to using CBU or Kerdi on its own. That, too, is overkill. If you're going to use DensShield, just use a liquid membrane on your seams/screw holes and be done. No need for Kerdi at that point.

However, my reason for using DensArmor throughout is I don't have to deal with dissimilar materials. When using CBU, you have to make sure you end it at the proper location (in reference to where the tile will be) and you need support (stud) where the 2 materials meet. Using just one material (DensArmor) you skip that issue altogether.
ApgarNJ (04-02-2010)
Old 04-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #5

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 10

I would put durock in the actual shower/bath itself with the kerdi, and the rest of the bathroom with a greenboard.. I'd have to agree with Angus, nothing will get by the kerdi. Me personally would still like to have the durock behind it just to be safeeee and never have a worry about it swelling, softening, decaying, etc. even if water finds its way in..

I'll also go on the record and say, you will get different answers from anyone you ask, so just go with your gut and what you think would be best for the area your working on.. everyone has personal preferences and it will always be that way..
Old 04-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
I no spell good

Vinny,

I'm sure you mean "moisture-resistant" wallboard. As we all know, the greenboard of old has been removed from the IRC in 2006. I think there's barney-board (purple stuff) and a few others.

Just wanted to make that clear to anyone reading this that didn't know that.

Also, DensArmor has quite a bit of moisture resistance.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #7

Yea i was just speaking of any moisture/mold resistant board in the rest of the bathroom areas Angus (purple/green)... correct me if I am wrong but didnt the IRC prohibit the use of greenboard behind the tile / wall of bath and shower areas, not the whole bathroom.. Like i said in my original post, i would durock the shower/bath area and then do the rest of the bathroom walls with purple/green board.. Hope that clears things up...
Old 04-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny View Post
Yea i was just speaking of any moisture/mold resistant board in the rest of the bathroom areas Angus (purple/green)... correct me if I am wrong but didnt the IRC prohibit the use of greenboard behind the tile / wall of bath and shower areas, not the whole bathroom.. Like i said in my original post, i would durock the shower/bath area and then do the rest of the bathroom walls with purple/green board.. Hope that clears things up...
I don't think greenboard has the same moisture resistant characteristics as purple. I just eliminate the paper (mold food) altogether and use DensArmor

I think in Canada, CBU is mandatory (code) behind shower walls.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
Retired Contractor

Trade: RE Broker, Property Manager, Retired Contractor
Rewards Points: 504

Can you guys elaborate on the dis-similar material issue? I am doing my bathroom right now and wondering about this. I have Denshield in the shower clear up to the original Sheetrock ceiling (1st problem) then when I come out of the shower area I hit Sheetrock again. (2nd problem area) So I am wondering: Now I always tape my joints in the shower area with thinset, but how do I tape the two dis-similar joint locations? Joint Compound over the joint with tile covering this or thinset covering the joint with another layer of compound over that?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to ApgarNJ

I usually tape the joint between two materials with a paper tape as this is usually a DRY area outside any glass doors or curtains. or you can use a mesh tape and regular joint compound.

this is why i want to do the densarmor paperless for the entire bathrooms from now on. and not have to worry about it.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNG24 View Post
Can you guys elaborate on the dis-similar material issue? I am doing my bathroom right now and wondering about this. I have Denshield in the shower clear up to the original Sheetrock ceiling (1st problem) then when I come out of the shower area I hit Sheetrock again. (2nd problem area) So I am wondering: Now I always tape my joints in the shower area with thinset, but how do I tape the two dis-similar joint locations? Joint Compound over the joint with tile covering this or thinset covering the joint with another layer of compound over that?
It depends on where the seam is. You should have the seam out of the shower area but where tile will still be. Tape with alkali-resistant mesh tape & thinset.

However, this is why I choose to use DensArmor throughout the entire bathroom and Kerdi the areas to be tiled. No worries about seams. No worries about moisture penetrating behind the Kerdi. No buying multiple types of wallboard.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
Retired Contractor

Trade: RE Broker, Property Manager, Retired Contractor
Rewards Points: 504

The seams (except where I meet the ceiling) are outside of the shower area and will be on the dry side of the shower door. I guess I was wondering if joint compound will actually work over the HardiBacker Cement Board since I already know I can tile the dry area over the existing sheetrock.

Every other time I have done this, it never mattered as I tiled completely out side the shower/tub area. This is the first where we are ending it just outside due to costs.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

I just finished a couple of shower enclosures today and the tiler was on-site so I picked his brain a little. He was comfortable tiling over denseshield, durock, and densearmor, I guess kerdi hasn't caught on up here. I regularly use Denseshield as find it's the easiest to work with. He meshed and thinset all the joints I left him and planned on applying a liquid rubber membrane(redguard) after that. He recommended I use the green coated screws instead of black ones, that it was worth spending extra money to minimize joints even if it created some waste, and to place joints outside the "wet area" where possible. If the joints outside the shower and won't be covered by tile I treat it like any other drywall joint then skim flat. I can see the merits of avoiding joints entirely though by sheeting the entire wall with DenseArmor as it gives a more Pro looking finish, is stronger, quicker to finish, and more waterproof.

D'S

Last edited by d's; 04-19-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #14
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by d's View Post
I can see the merits of avoiding joints entirely by sheating an entire wall with Denseshield as it gives a more Pro looking finish, would be stronger, and more waterproof.

D'S
Did you mean DensArmor?
d's (04-19-2010)
Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
Profit is not dirty.

Trade: Residential Drywall and Taping
Rewards Points: 250

We use densheild, and nothing else...we find that densheild is easy to use and offers the best for our money...if you look up green board, or aqua board, it is no longer warranted in wet areas as of the manufactures spec.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #16

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Im not familiar with kerdi and not so sure I would ever use it. Ive done demo on enough shower/baths and pretty much have decided that sheetrock behind tile in a shower/bath area will never happen for me reguardless of what you cover the rock with. We use 1/2" durarock in my area. Tape seams and corners and coat with thinset then tile over. Dont trust anything else but a durarock type product.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #17
Profit is not dirty.

Trade: Residential Drywall and Taping
Rewards Points: 250

kerdi is a water proof membrane system that you apply to seams and areas were you are concerned about water...corners etc.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #18
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankster View Post
Im not familiar with kerdi and not so sure I would ever use it. Ive done demo on enough shower/baths and pretty much have decided that sheetrock behind tile in a shower/bath area will never happen for me reguardless of what you cover the rock with. We use 1/2" durarock in my area. Tape seams and corners and coat with thinset then tile over. Dont trust anything else but a durarock type product.

Your statements wreak of being short sided. Saying you wouldn't use something because you're "not familiar" with it is outright silly.

Do you understand the concept of waterproofing?
Do you understand the benefit of using items designed to work together?
Are you aware CBU and thinset are NOT waterproof?

I would have respected your statement had you said you only use CBU. But to completely dismiss an entire method of building a wet location (included in the TCNA Handbook, I might add) makes you seem really inexperienced.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #19
solar guy

Trade: solar contracting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
so im on another board and currently having a heated debate with another member as to what the correct type of board is to use in a custom shower/bath.

i responded to the post stating to use greenboard on the ceiling and walls around the shower but to use either durock or densesheild within it and end the board the next stud past the shower. another member responded to this stating that regular drywall is perfectly fine as long as schluter membrane is used. how do you get the message to someone that regular drywall is not acceptable and wont pass an inspection

so whos using durock and who's using densesheild. on our jobs we use densesheild. we usually go above code whenever possible, the only issues we've had with inspectors is getting them onsite when we want them there and having engineers paperwork ready when they do arrive
This may be redundant and pointed out by another member however. Read the Manufacturers instructions and you will find thast Green board is not designed or rated for installation in a horizontal (Ceiling) application.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #20

I'm gonna have to still go ahead and side with Angus on this one. I just picked up a job that requires a whole bathroom to be re-hung and finished, and needless to say I will be doing it that way (except for the Durock in the actual shower area to be tiled). This post has turned into quite the discussion haha