Corners With Columbia?

Old 08-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 128

Corners With Columbia?

I purchased a Columbia tool set from All-Wall at the beginning of the year. I have got the hang of proper mud consistancy for each tool and how to use them. I am also starting to pick up the pace a little. There is one tool in the arsenal that I haven't quite figured out. The 3.5" Angle head has been giving me issues. I am not quite sure where I am going wrong. I tape my corners with Columbia's auto taper loaded with Fibafuse tape. I roll the corner tight setting the tape with their corner roller. I then have my 3.5" Angle head on a pole and run it down the corners feathering out all the mud. This process seams to be giving me a nice tight corner to finish later. After I finish all other joints I come back to finish my corners last. I put the 3.5" angle head on the angle box load up with mud and get after it. Applying the finish coat with this box requires a lot more pressure than I feel it should. My mud is mixed fairly wet but not so wet it runs everywhere. I watch videos of guys using this particular tool and they are pushing a lot less than I do. I have a couple of questions for anyone experienced in both the process and columbia's corner tools. There appears to be some adjustments on the back of my angle head that I don't know how to take advantage of. See Pic. Can someone explain this to me? Last question is should I be running a smaller corner angle when I am doing initial taping? Maybe a 2" then top it with a 3.5"? I get raised edges where I know this tool is designed to deliver an almost sandless corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Corners With Columbia?-20170812_123714.jpg   Corners With Columbia?-20170812_123829.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 08:42 AM   #2

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4

Re: Corners With Columbia?

I have a 3" Columbia Angle Head and here's my experience with it: I too had trouble running it. It was going so bad that it was driving me crazy. I thought I got a malfunctioning unit. Wouldn't glide at all and mud wouldn't get through. Turns out the problem was that the tape was set by hand. The solution was a flusher. Goes after the corner roller. IMO is far superior for smoothing the tape than an angle head. Angle is for top coats. Just remember that the "elbow" on the pole/ball has to face backwards and dip your roller in mud so there's enough of it for the flusher to run smooth and feather out the edges. Lean on it.

Regarding the sizes: This might seem counter intuitive at first, but many pros consider (and I agree) that the tool for smoothing the tape (flusher) has to actually be wider then the one used for top coats (angle head). You sort of build up the mud to the inside of the corner if that makes any sense... I use a 3.5" Flusher before my 3" Angle Head but in your case a 4" Flusher.
I still have to do 2 passes (one in each direction) with the Angle Head on horizontal corners though. But it's a lot better now.
No idea on the adjustment thing.

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 8

Re: Corners With Columbia?

Three things:
a. Pushing an angle box is always harder than it appears.
b. Use two different sizes of angle heads for taping and final coat
c. Pull back smaller spring (1) and push in pin (2) to relieve tension. (3) If needed, move pin to outside hole.

The raised edges are because you are using same size head both times. Get another sized head, 2 or 2.5, use large first then smaller or vice versa, whichever works best for you. Most important, don't use same size twice.
Attached Images

Last edited by Faltriwall; 08-29-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Picture
The Following User Says Thank You to Faltriwall For This Useful Post:
sparehair (08-29-2017)