Corner Crack Fix

Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #1

Trade: home builder
Rewards Points: 25

Corner Crack Fix

I finished a whole house job a year ago and all looked great until this last (cold) month. There is several inside corners (on outside walls) that have cracked or pulled the paper loose and now kind of rounded. Most of this is in the middle of the corner (half way up the wall/corner) with the top and bottom 2 foot looking perfect.

What is the best way to fix this problem?

Should I just cutout and retape?

Should I cutout/remove anything loose then just tape right over everything then blend into wall?

Should I caulk and repaint?

Is there a repair product designed for this?

Help

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 3,356

Re: Corner Crack Fix

What type of corner did you use in the first place?? I use a metal corner bead and on high traffic areas I add mud behind it and mud over the bead
with tape, you will not find a stronger corner bead. ( unless you built it out of wood)

Old 01-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Drywall

That is a strange problem. Weird that it only happens in the middle of the corner. For stronger interior corners, try some of the nocoat products (level line, 325, 450). I don't usually put them on interior corners due to the expense over paper tape, but it sounds like you might need the extra strength. The 450 is the widest and will offer the most surface area for bonding to the wall. It is what I use to fix really bad off angles. Makes them look great and straight.

Last edited by Terryw; 01-02-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Butt Expert

Rewards Points: 250

You can use the products mentioned above but if I were you I'd be interested to know what moved to cause the tape failure before I tried to fix it...
Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodel / repairs / Certified Mold inspector, Remediator
Send a message via AIM to Burby

Some homes with improperly nailed corners can move forever and most blame the drywallers, but if it moves one cannot expect mud / drywall not to crack.
Also depending on the moisture during framing a house can dry & move all over the dang place, creating cracks at every joint there is until totally dried out.
Like tile from a wall to tub joint, wall to deck joint, ect, if it can move it will surely crack.
For small problem areas in corners, use an elastomeric caulk, it will move with the corners without any more cracking, problem solved.

It is like when others blame the drywaller because the walls are bowed, lol, the look on their face when you tell them the drywall is hung on the framing & if the framing moves, believe it or not, the drywall will as well..
Some people blame the last trade instead of the real cause of the problem. Sad but sure most drywall guys have run into this 100 times.

Never judge another by one's own intelligence
Old 01-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 500

This kinda sounds like a lack of insulation in the area. But likely, like already mentioned, lack of proper nailing in the framing. You know maybe those guys that build manufactored homes has it figured out. Just put an ugly piece of wood in every corner. Let it crack all it wants behind it.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting & Remodeling

"Some people blame the last trade in...", I like it! As a painter you have no idea the stuff we get blamed for. I've found you can usually explain the possible causes of the problem to a homeowner better than you can to a GC; which is why I do VERY little commercial and work for VERY few GC's.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #8

Trade: home builder

Thanks for all the responses.

I carefully dug into a couple corner cracks today and I'm not sure but it looks like some/most of this is the primer and paint pulling from the corners. Never saw this before, these walls were primed and painted almost a year ago.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting & Remodeling

See ?!? I told you the painters would get blamed! Actually sometimes it could be prime/paint related, especially when the walls havent been dusted off, ie; corners. There are times it happens when the tape isnt sufficiently covered by mud. And, I've seen it happen when the mud is to thick and hasnt completely dried before painting.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,124

My vote is for moisture issues. I've seen it before where water behind the wall was causing the paint to delaminate from the sheettrock.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: drywall contractor

It's gotta be the painters fault!! You are the last one to touch the rock. So I didn't know it, but I can blame you. I feel better. The framing, the moisture, the lack of insulation, the lack of mud behind the tape. Oops, did I say an air bubble in the tape. Yep, that's the painters fault.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim0282 View Post
It's gotta be the painters fault!! You are the last one to touch the rock. So I didn't know it, but I can blame you. I feel better. The framing, the moisture, the lack of insulation, the lack of mud behind the tape. Oops, did I say an air bubble in the tape. Yep, that's the painters fault.

Tim you forgot to mention, the painter never dusted the corners before painting. See it has to be the Painters fault..

Seriously though, regardless of why, how, or who, the problem is a H/O discovered the crack & cannot live with it. As long as no visible water stains that would indicate moisture, it just needs to be fixed one time & move on, beause if it is repaired with mud it will surly crack again & give the H/O reason to believe their whole house will fall down.

I have been called to see about removing & hanging kitchen cabs again, simply because the Lawyer for the H/O was doing a walk thru to see how bad a house was built & document all possible for a litigation case & he actually thought & mentioned the kitchen cabs hung to the ceiling over an island was falling down.
Reason for believing this: Typical shrinkage while all was acclimating, (house just over 1 yr old & no 1 year punch done yet)
When i looked at the job, Lawyer & H/O present, ya hate to burst anyone's bubble, but what is, is.
I asked, you do not think that is just typical shrinkage of the caulk & crown causing the gap? Shook the cabs & they were vey solid. So I couldn;t blame the painter on this one, or could have said the paint used was probably to heavy I guess.
I have yet to ever be called back by that lawyer, dang it, I could have made a lot of money following this guy.. hahaha

Caulk it with an elastomeric caulk, paint & move on.
Short of removing an area of drywall to try & find a problem, have to question the worth of doing so. Run the dull edge of your knife down the corner, (just enough pressure to score the paint, not cut thru the tape), to remove any bubbles or loose "dust", brush corner, caulk & paint, charge $250 per corner & roll on.
It works every time.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #13

Trade: remodeling,design,new construction
Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to Jerrytogo

Good Morning I need some help. I worked before for a drywall company. They close down and move away to another state. I have been doing some work on my own little projects,etc. I got a potential for a medium size project. Hang ceiling drywall on the basement and tape and finish the walls.(homeowner hang the walls). The area for the ceiling is 1900 sq ft. I will hang,tape and finish ready to paint. Now for the walls on the basement the total is 2400 sq ft. Just to tape,sand and finish. I just got my lic. and I am in the process to take some more classes to run my small business. Any help recomendation you could provide I will appreciate. I just do not want to under estimate. I am located in northern virginia.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
Butt Expert

Sweet, it's must be the painters fault.

You did use taping mudd, right?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrytogo View Post
Good Morning I need some help. I worked before for a drywall company. They close down and move away to another state. I have been doing some work on my own little projects,etc. I got a potential for a medium size project. Hang ceiling drywall on the basement and tape and finish the walls.(homeowner hang the walls). The area for the ceiling is 1900 sq ft. I will hang,tape and finish ready to paint. Now for the walls on the basement the total is 2400 sq ft. Just to tape,sand and finish. I just got my lic. and I am in the process to take some more classes to run my small business. Any help recomendation you could provide I will appreciate. I just do not want to under estimate. I am located in northern virginia.
Thanks
Jerry, try starting a new post under business, or better yet, (if you are to new to start a post, go to the intro, let all know who you are, location, what you do & experience, then read up on the many post of operating a business, proper labor charge, warranty,profit, & overhead. You will find all that is needed for anyone starting a business, from day 1 to 20 plus years later.
This forum has more useable info than any one or 3 books could ever provide you. One can find all the info needed to be a profitable business. So many offer everything other than going to your job site & doing the actual work for you.
The above is probably the best info anyone here can offer you, short of advising you to hire someone to do the work for you...
Once you begin to operate, you then, can post how useful the info you discovered here was in helpig you start & operate your business, in turn helping other new members.
Based on what you offered in your question, if anyone could properly offer you a number that was of any use or even remotely close to suit your needs, I betcha they would not be here. They would be enjoying life to the fullest extent & making millions by answering the phone & giving numbers to whoever called and asked how much should I charge?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeling, Replacement windows,
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktologist View Post
Sweet, it's must be the painters fault.

You did use taping mudd, right?
What mud do yall like to use for taping?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Butt Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston's View Post
What mud do yall like to use for taping?
All Purpose because it has more adhesive in it.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #18
He who's held accountable

Trade: General Contractor-Renovations
Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktologist View Post
All Purpose because it has more adhesive in it.
Synko yellow (taping mud) here in W. Canada because it has even more adhesive in it. Keep it neat, it's a b!tch to sand...

Cheers, Ron
Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Residential & Commercial Hanger/Finisher
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Thanks
HuH?

Last edited by MeatBallDryWall; 01-03-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: I Like It A Lot
Old 01-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #20

Trade: G.C. commrcial residential buildouts as Subcontractor or General
Rewards Points: 10

Top and bottom plate nailed but not the mids