Can We Talk Drywall Cracks? - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Can We Talk Drywall Cracks?

Old 01-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

Trade: Residential Contracting
Rewards Points: 126

Can We Talk Drywall Cracks?

First off, I am not a framing and drywall sub/company. Just a GC trying to avoid these costly and annoying issues. Despite understanding how many of these occur, there is always the big crack along a board edge in the middle of the family room or kitchen where the homeowners flips out.

Theres always the occasional screw pop or crack along board edges. And depending on the situation, we can typically just re secure the board edge with new screws, OR completely open up the area(if board edge is just hanging free), add some plywood backing and cut a new piece of board, tape,skim, repaint(hopefully not entire room).

So Id like to really discuss-

1)What do you guys find as the most common culprit, and what can we do before they happen.

2) What is the best route to take to fix a crack along a board edge?

Last edited by LPG; 01-12-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,242

Re: Can We Talk Drywall Cracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPG View Post
First off, I am not a framing and drywall sub/company. Just a GC trying to avoid these costly and annoying issues. Despite understanding how many of these occur, there is always the big crack along a board edge in the middle of the family room or kitchen where the homeowners flips out.

Theres always the occasional screw pop or crack along board edges. And depending on the situation, we can typically just re secure the board edge with new screws, OR completely open up the area(if board edge is just hanging free), add some plywood backing and cut a new piece of board, tape,skim, repaint(hopefully not entire room).

So Id like to really discuss-

1)What do you guys find as the most common culprit, and what can we do before they happen.

2) What is the best route to take to fix a crack along a board edge?
Truss uplift.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 146

Interior or exterior wall? Floor above or roof? Vertical or horizontal seem? What do you mean edge of board is just hanging there? The vertical edge of the sheet needs to land on stud or butt board, shouldn't be hanging there. Possibly framing drying and/or house settling as weight in material is added.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,450

As a painter doing repaints in 5 -10 year old houses, I am questioning the amount of mud being used finishing drywall, especially in corners. I think if you add in the overuse of lightweight and ultra lightweight mud, could this be a factor too?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (01-16-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,740

My engineer says these cracks come from not having sufficient king/jack stud combo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #6

Trade: Residential Contracting
Rewards Points: 126

Typically my projects are single floor residential and cracks have typically occurred in ceilings. We use manufactured trusses and typically run hi hat channel to screw drywall into.

I am really wondering about the comment above regarding too much mud. This just could be it.....

By board edge hanging, it doesnít happen often but we have had some cracks, which upon investigation, the hangers didnít properly screw the board up, or were sloppy in cutting. At that case we would typically cut a hole and resecure with furring/metal studs/whatever we have on site.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPG View Post
Typically my projects are single floor residential and cracks have typically occurred in ceilings. We use manufactured trusses and typically run hi hat channel to screw drywall into.

I am really wondering about the comment above regarding too much mud. This just could be it.....

By board edge hanging, it doesnít happen often but we have had some cracks, which upon investigation, the hangers didnít properly screw the board up, or were sloppy in cutting. At that case we would typically cut a hole and resecure with furring/metal studs/whatever we have on site.
You may have answered your own question.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,450

To clarify, I think I am finding taped joints where there is not enough mud. Especially inside corners.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
To clarify, I think I am finding taped joints where there is not enough mud. Especially inside corners.
Thatís what I thought you meant, itís pretty hard to get too much on an inside corner. Iím sure it can be done but I usually see bare tape after the mudder sands.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (01-15-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 04:55 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 476

biggest cause in my opinion is sloppy framing and lack of bracing and proper nailers. i've probably framed at least 600 units and never really had callbacks for cracks or truss uplift, or screw pops even.
drywall should be glued to studs. and joints prefilled with durabond before tape.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (01-20-2018)