Old 03-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Tejano

Trade: Remodeling
Question

5 Level Of Drywall Finish

hello

not a contractor but tradesman

new to drywall forum but not contractor talk

Where could I get a course/training/ and/or just a pdf for the five levels of drywall finish

Found the National gypsum website but I know i found a pdf a while back just can't it through a google now.
I appreciate any thread!

jmt

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor
Send a message via AIM to Mud Master

Re: 5 Level Of Drywall Finish

go to: drywallconstruction.com/levels of finish.htm

sorry, contractortalk wont let me paste links til I have 15 posts .

Anyway, the site has a good amount of information on all levels of drywall finishing, also has the appropriate painting techniques that coencide with the levels of finishing..hope it helps!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Commercial Contractor

usg.com/products/moldandmoisture/pdfs/J1564.pdf

oh,yea there is a link for a PDF is you prefer, mostly the same thing, little more detail however. Straight from USG..just copy and paste!!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
Tejano

Trade: Remodeling

Thank you Mud Master
Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 PM   #5
Commercial Contractor

Yup.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Gone Fishing, Back soon

Trade: Renovations
Smile

The levels of finish were incorporated by the Drywall Finishing Council Incorporated.
This is a council with all the major drywall manufacturers.
Do a search on Levels of finish and you can download the PDF.

Keep it because it comes in handy when dealing with an owner or architect that spec-ed a level four when they should have spec-ed a level five because of "critical lighting".

The best way to keep from having a problem in the future and on larger projects is to do a mock-up of a level 4 and present it BEFORE starting the project.
I hope this helps............
~Bill
Old 03-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #7

Trade: Full service interior remodel, maintenace, and repair

I am self taught in all the trades. Jack of all Master of paint. What do you mean by 5 levels
Old 03-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_t_interiors View Post
I am self taught in all the trades. Jack of all Master of paint. What do you mean by 5 levels
Never mind, look at the post below.

Last edited by ProWallGuy; 03-09-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter

Actually, that link is broke, so here you go:

Levels Of Gypsum Board Finish

LEVEL 0: No taping, finishing or accessories required. This level of finish may be useful in temporary construction or whenever the final decoration has not been determined.

LEVEL 1: All joints and interior angles shall have tape embedded in joint compound. Surface shall be free of excess joint compound. Tool marks and ridges are acceptable. This level of finish often referred to as "fire taping", is frequently specified in plenum areas above ceilings, in attics, in areas where the assembly would generally be concealed, or in building service corridors and other areas not normally open to public view. Accessories (cornerbead, base shoe other trims) optional at specifier discretion in corridors and other areas with pedestrian traffic.

LEVEL 2: All joints and interior angles shall have tape embedded in joint compound and one separate coat of joint compound applied over all joints, angles, fastener heads and accessories. Surface shall be free of excess joint compound, tool marks and ridges are acceptable. This level of finish is specified where water resistant drywall is used as a substrate for tile; may be specified in garages, warehouse storage or other similar areas where surface appearance is not of primary concern.

LEVEL 3: All joints and interior angles shall be tape embedded in joint compound and two coats of joint compound applied over all joints, angles, fastener heads and accessories. All joint compound shall be smooth and free of tool marks and ridges. Note: It is recommended that the prepared surface be coated with a primer/sealer prior to the application of final finishes. This level of finish is typically specified in appearance areas which are to receive heavy or medium texture (spray or hand applied) finishes before final painting, or where heavy-grade wall coverings are to be applied as the final decoration.

LEVEL 4: All joints and interior angles shall be tape embedded in joint compound and three coats of joint compound applied over all joints, angles, fastener heads and accessories. All joint compound shall be smooth and free of tool marks and ridges. Note: It is recommended that the prepared surface be coated with a primer/sealer prior to the application of final finishes. This level of finish is typically specified where light textures or wall coverings are to be applied, or economy is of concern.

LEVEL 5: All joints and interior angles shall be tape embedded in joint compound and three separate coats of joint compound applied over all joints, angles, fastener heads and accessories. A thin skim coat of joint compound, or a material manufactured especially for this purpose, shall be applied to the surface. The surface shall be smooth and free of tool marks and ridges. Note: It is recommended that the prepared surface be coated with a primer/sealer prior to the application of final finishes. This level of finish is recommended where gloss, semi gloss, enamel or nontextured flat paints are specified or where severe side lighting conditions occur. This highest quality finish is the most effective method to provide a uniform surface and minimize the possibility of joint photographing and of fasteners showing through the final decoration. (note: Application of primer/paint products over Level 4 and Level 5 smooth finish: Industry experience demonstrates an effective method for achieving a visually uniform surface for both the primer and topcoat is spray application immediately followed by back rolling or roller application using good roller techniques such as finishing in one direction and using roller types and naps recommended by the paint manufacturer.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Plaster,Interior Demolitions,Small Repairs

I can quickly achive a level 5 appearance by "mopping" the walls with a slightly damp sponge style mop. I've done this before. ..After sanding and it brings me the identical results. I even inspected 2 ceilings I did with a 500watt halogen light. On the 1 ceiling, I actually did skim the entire area ceiling, and on the other I just mopped it after I sanded it. I couldn't see the difference. I would only do this on a smooth/untextured ceiling. Level 5 here in my area is unheard of. When we do our final sand we look over with a 500watt and hand sand everything......everyone else does this right? In 5 years I never did a level 5, maybe except the occasional smooth ceiling. It's interesting though because when I talk to some contact I have in south carolina, they always bring up this level 5.
I would have to be paid some big bucks to go that route.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:00 AM   #11

Trade: Drywall

If you mop things........Do you get janitor wages?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
Gone Fishing, Back soon

Trade: Renovations

There are some great paints that offer a level 5.
You would bring the walls up to a good level four and spray a certain paint to achieve a level 5.
The one I use is called Tuff-Hide by USG. It has a high amount of solids and goes on really thick (approx. 15 to 20 mils). The advantages are that you are applying the fifth level as well as the prime coat and it can be tinted.
You figure a can of joint compound is around $12.00 and a five gallon can of decent primer is $50.00. This stuff only runs about $45.00 a 5-gal can so it's not bad.
As a matter of fact the literature even says you don't have to paint over it if you don't want to.

Be careful, it's not self leveling paint. It will make a good job GREAT but will also make a bad job worse.

It helps to determine who will be applying the product before you take the job. Either the painter or drywaller will be doing one less coat so someone needs to get paid for it.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Plaster,Interior Demolitions,Small Repairs
Smile

moppin up the competition................
Old 10-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #14

Category five is for preventing the 'telegraphing' of the surface difference between the compound surface and the paper surface of the finished surfaces when a semi-gloss, gloss or egg-shell paint is going to be used. Since it is a wipe-on wipe-off of compound before brushing down (sanding) it isn't really much more trouble than the 'mopping' you described. I suspect you have been fortunate not to have had any problems in that these types of paint may not have been used. There is more detail on this subject but this should siffice for now. Just trying to be helpful, JL.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #15

Trade: ok

Im a subcontractor I do metal framing and drywall
Any damages in your home office buildings ect. give me a call
at 832-519-6317 ask for Fidencio
Old 10-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #16
Butt Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDI View Post