Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

You know you are mason when...

17K views 126 replies 30 participants last post by  TheItalian204 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured we needed one of those :D...

so You know you are mason/bricklayer when...

Every stucco,brick and stone house you drive by gets at least a glance before you drive off.

You wake up in the morning with numb hand and go to sleep with sore knees.

You never diminish other trades but deep inside you know they got it easy.

Most likely will scrap almost every piece of wood you have to cut.

You complain about prices on portland for two and half hours,and they should never get you started on prices on brick

Your foreman used to say: My daughter can do more than you did (and you think that must be one hell of a mutant daughter)

standing on 35 feet scaffolding in the dark while your help is holding the spotlight so you can finish the wall,thinking that they dont teach that in the apprenticeship program

You shiver in disgust when someone inquires about cultured stone but shiver of pleasure when you are paid big bucks for it.

You can eyeball the slope without whipping out the level or string line.

You might have heard this when you were just starting: "When I wasa like you,I can putta 1500 bricks aday."

In the end you still enjoy that you are probably only trade HO does not have DIY seminars about.

See less See more
#8 ·
You know youre a mason:

When your work truck has an inch of dust on the dash because you gave up trying to keep up with armor all'ing it.

When its winter time and your outside in a tshirt because you can go back into the tent in a couple minutes where its 75 degrees.

When its winter and you have deep cuts from dry skin on 2nd knuckle of your trowel hand, but you figure spring is right around the corner and you'll get some moisture back into your hands then.

#23 ·
Who else out there likes to give laborers a hard time hahaha. I mean in good fun though. I constantly mess with my guys, it helps boost the moral a bit lol.

You know your a mason when you order a 15 & 5/8 cut while laying block and your labe comes back wanting to throw a block at you.

Cut to short? Labe go get me the brick stretcher and hurry up already lol.

You know your a mason when you tell the labe you need an 8" double burnished single bullnose double score horse collar notched for bond beam on top left with electrical box bottom right and he gets so confused his eyes roll back in his head and a spring pops out hahaha.:laughing:

Yes it is counter productive but its my crew and moral is important me. This really only works on the rookie labes unless you get a real dumbass haha.

Safety First but have some fun with it.:clap:

#25 ·
You know your a mason when your hair has the consistancy of steel wool.

You know your a mason when the teany tiniest hole in your finger is in AGONIZING PAIN and everybody thinks youre a pussy hahaha.
:laughing::laughing::laughing: That is so true...and you can't even see them suckers :thumbup:

#34 · (Edited)
.When you bang out a wheelbarrow first thing in the morning and bang on your spade shovels with a hammer
.When you have caked windows on your levels
.When you have confidence that you can put holes in any pair of gloves
.When you make anchors out of 5 gallon buckets
.When you get cement on the paint of your truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.