Webinar On Fiber Re-bar. - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Webinar On Fiber Re-bar.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 9,562

Webinar On Fiber Re-bar.

I have been looking into the use of fiber re-bar for awhile. It seems like a much better product than any of the steel products,either coated or non coated . I have yet to use any,however,been giving it considerable consideration. Here is a connection to a free webinar coming up on Feb.22 ND.

http://www.nthconsultants.com/use-of...m_medium=email
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
wazez (02-14-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,480

Re: Webinar On Fiber Re-bar.

Is it made in the us?

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2018, 01:39 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
I have been looking into the use of fiber re-bar for awhile. It seems like a much better product than any of the steel products,either coated or non coated
Where would you consider using it? At present, it seems like it is meant for areas of high corrosion and loads, like bridges. Seems like there is no need in residential of multi-family.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:29 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,023

A random find for the curious... Interesting stuff.

http://www.fdot.gov/design/Training/...Composites.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Is it made in the us?

From what I have discovered,yes it is.In the good states of Florida,Texas and Washington,along with our neighbors too the north in Canada.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Where would you consider using it? At present, it seems like it is meant for areas of high corrosion and loads, like bridges. Seems like there is no need in residential of multi-family.

Probably as a substitute for steel in most applications. From the discussions I have had with people in the field,it overcomes the problems with steel in several ways. It seems most importantly,unlike steel that rusts,expands and spalls the concrete or masonry,when fiber ages,looses some strength etc.,it does not impart the ill effects of spalling.

It may not be the perfect answer,however,from what I understand,it is a step in the better direction.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,881

Rusted Iron and steel is always larger than unrusted(oxidized) Iron, = cracked masonry and reinforced with steel concrete....

There are some interesting basalt based rebars available...

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 02-16-2018 at 03:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,318

Quote:
Probably as a substitute for steel in most applications. From the discussions I have had with people in the field,it overcomes the problems with steel in several ways. It seems most importantly,unlike steel that rusts,expands and spalls the concrete or masonry,when fiber ages,looses some strength etc.,it does not impart the ill effects of spalling.
But where is the deterioration such a problem? Certainly not in houses? This is stuff for bridge decks.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
But where is the deterioration such a problem? Certainly not in houses? This is stuff for bridge decks.

Well,at only approx. 50% up charge from steel,1/4 the weight,and twice the strength of steel,it seems like a very affordable way to obtain the belt and suspenders approach. Not to mention with the considerable weight reduction,the increase in production one will realize,along with less worker fatigue and more safety.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Stonemasonry
Rewards Points: 616

Quote:
Well,at only approx. 50% up charge from steel,1/4 the weight,and twice the strength of steel,it seems like a very affordable way to obtain the belt and suspenders approach. Not to mention with the considerable weight reduction,the increase in production one will realize,along with less worker fatigue and more safety.
Is there a specific product you're talking about? My assumption is GFRP which looks like essentially fiberglass rods.

One huge market should be the cast stone industry. (Huge as in beneficial to them. I don't think it's that big of an industry.) I can't tell you how many failures I've seen. Mainly rebar popping the face. Not structural failure but definitely aesthetic failure. I've been told it's due to the use of calcium choride to speed the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to artisanstone For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (02-18-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanstone View Post
Is there a specific product you're talking about? My assumption is GFRP which looks like essentially fiberglass rods.

One huge market should be the cast stone industry. (Huge as in beneficial to them. I don't think it's that big of an industry.) I can't tell you how many failures I've seen. Mainly rebar popping the face. Not structural failure but definitely aesthetic failure. I've been told it's due to the use of calcium choride to speed the process.

Yes,that is the bar I have in mind. You are correct,the cast stone industry would do well to give fiber a very close look,both the wet cast and dry cast.

Advertisement