Waterproofing A Concrete Patio/Garage Roof

Old 05-22-2011, 05:53 AM   #1

Trade: low voltage wiring
Rewards Points: 10

Waterproofing A Concrete Patio/Garage Roof

An attached concrete garage's roof also serves as the patio/deck off the dining room of house (in New York City vicinity). The house is 60-ish years old, and the garage roof/patio has numerous hairline cracks that have allowed water to leak into the garage. There are multiple layers of gunk on the concrete including old green paint, thoroseal, and who knows what else which have failed. Last year the cracks hand chiseled out and filled with hydraulic cement which worked until the spring thaw. Granted, the fill job wasn't a great job, the surface of the patio was rough and the hydro cement laid above the hte rest of the surface in many areas. I'm looking for a good way to seal this garage. I recently used an angle grinder with a diamond cup wheel to level out the hydro cement and to make sure the grinder would be able to grind off the layers of gunk. That looks promising, but I need a waterproofing solution. Also while the patio/roof is graded, it has low spots, probably due to the same settling that caused the cracks (some of which run lenght-wise and others that run width-wise). I have been getting conflicting advice. I've heard that bituthene/laticrete type solutions are the best, but they seem like big jobs, easily messed up, and pricey. I've also been told that elastomeric or rubberized (same thing, right?) coatings are the way to go.

What would you recommend? Which specific products? ** Keep in mind there will be some ponding of water during and after rains, the hairline cracks need to be accomodated, NY weather is hot in the summer and snowy/freezing in the winter (expansion/contraction), this is a patio with significant pedestrian traffic, and the garage space underneath currently is not heated, but may be in the future. ** The garage is attached to a brick house and there are six brick pillars connecting metal railings on the garage roof/patio.

Thanks,

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,794

Re: Waterproofing A Concrete Patio/Garage Roof

For the cracks I would contact a foundation repair company. The ones who would do something along the lines of injections into the concrete. I dont have any other usefull advice except make sure the stuff isnt slippery

Old 05-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,296

I have the EXACT same issues on a 50 year old house. There is bluestone over a membrane (that was not installed properly)
We are going to remove the bluestone, properly install a membrane with flashing and then do a wood deck over sleepers.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 10

Google a product called Flex Krete, it's pricey, but I've used it to seal a newly poured curb to an existing concrete floor in a mill. It works to hold back the cooling oil so I'm sure it will work for water. Either that or blue skin it properly.