Thin Brick Over Sheetrock

Old 02-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Mason
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via AIM to Tommy C

Thin Brick Over Sheetrock

Hey guys,

For an interior application, in lieu of installing a vapor barrier, diamond lath, scratchcoat, and then thin brick ... is it acceptable to install 1/4" cement board over the sheetrock, and just thinset the thin brick to that??

I'd love to save a step, and eliminate dust from mixing indoors.

Would the Durock add too much weight? Is 1/2" advisable over 1/4" ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: retired
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Thin Brick Over Sheetrock

Just curious, what are you thinking the concrete backer will accomplish?

A good quality thinset will adhere to drywall.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,368

Hmmmmm......although I would tend to agree that thinset will adhere to sheetrock...hell, it adheres to about anything.....I for one would be hesitant to attach brick to what is essentially paper.....So, TommyC.....I would go with your idea of using 1/4" backerboard as a substrate...... I am willing to learn however.....is this a fairly common practice? It just seems to me that attaching 1/4" backerboard is relatively inexpensive insurance......
Old 02-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Pro

How thin is thin brick? 3/8" max?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 1,080

Over sheetrock I have always used diamond lathe nailed to the studs, and some screws in between just for a little tension on the lathe.

I dont trust gluing anything to plain old sheetrock. It may be ok, but I like the comfort of knowing I have it anchored nice and tight.
http://www.concretecountertopsdesign.com/
Old 02-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,320

The only way I have felt comfortable doing thinbrick over drywall is to apply an EIFS type basecoat (for example Parex basecoat 121) first, then thinsetting to it. And only on dry interior, non-overhead applications at that. For damp or overhead, the sheetrock has to go.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Pro

Maybe I am looking at this too much from a tile setting perspective, but I always want to hear how others do it.

Assuming "thin brick" is 3/8-1/2" thick, the actual weight of one unit is not greater than say a 12x12 or 16x16 piece of marble or travertine tile, which is routinely installed on bathroom walls over just drywall, using (presumably) a high quality thinset.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Pro

Well the weight per unit is much less than a 12x12 or 16x16 tile, but the size is only 2-1/4x8 as a rule and the joints are wider. You have to grout them with a bag, or hawk, and that is additional moisture. You could probably use liquid nails over sheetrock and be fine, but it is not something I would do.
CookeCarpentry (02-05-2011)
Old 02-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Well the weight per unit is much less than a 12x12 or 16x16 tile, but the size is only 2-1/4x8 as a rule and the joints are wider. You have to grout them with a bag, or hawk, and that is additional moisture. You could probably use liquid nails over sheetrock and be fine, but it is not something I would do.
That makes sense...I'll buy into your logic.

But, then, getting back to the OP's original question....in theory, cement backer board is only composed of some mesh, lightweight cement, all held on by screws/nails into studs. In theory, the same way drywall is installed.

If 1/2" cement board was installed directly to the studs, I think it may be a step up from laminating 1/4" over drywall, but overall, it seems the best quality method would be a wire mesh/lathe basecoat....
Old 02-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
Pro

For sample walls in the office, I have hung 1/4" hardibacker over the sheetrock, and thinset various real and fake stone with no issue. I have to tear down a couple hundred sqft of that soon, and I am not looking forward to it. It will be destructive removal for certain.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #11

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 25

IMO, attaching a cement board gives you a much better mechanical attachment to a wall, even over drywall. Your able to use the existing drywall to add extra rigidity to the wall (even run a few beads of PL for extra hold). your putting alot of faith in the guys that hung that drywall that was never meant to hold any weight beyond its own. I've done both ways tho, but it called for 2 layers of tar paper and then lath to the studs, then scratch. And Tscar, I've removed some thin stone from a display I did, over duroc and trust me, it'll give you a new confidence in the bold strength. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 564

I think the thin brick themselves "could" bond adequately to the drywall directly, it's the mortared joints I don't see lasting too long. The only way I would even attempt skipping the steps of lath or Durock would be if the brick were laid in a corbel fashion, or every other course alternated in length. That would certainly be a case where it would be hard to do with backerboard or wire. But, I'd still probably try to get wire under the majority of it.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Level 27 Contractor

Trade: Renovation
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post
That makes sense...I'll buy into your logic.

But, then, getting back to the OP's original question....in theory, cement backer board is only composed of some mesh, lightweight cement, all held on by screws/nails into studs. In theory, the same way drywall is installed.

If 1/2" cement board was installed directly to the studs, I think it may be a step up from laminating 1/4" over drywall, but overall, it seems the best quality method would be a wire mesh/lathe basecoat....
can u tear a facing layer off cement board? will excess water de-laminate the bond between mesh and concrete like paper and gypsum?

food for thought

most of the manufacturers installations guides I have read dont advise adhering of similar stone or stacked stone products over drywall

Check out my gallery here http://on.fb.me/I2XylV
Check out my blog here http://sebastianbethke1337.wordpress.com/
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #14
New Guy

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10

No self promotion

Last edited by angus242; 02-08-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: advertsing rules violation