They Love Hitting My Walls!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 4,590

They Love Hitting My Walls!

Truck drivers provide me with a lot of work! This particular corner gets hit at least once a year. I'm guessing we have patched and/or rebuilt it probably 8-9 times already. In the drivers defense it is a busy street that is not very wide and cars don't give them any sort of break. The minute a truck tries to back in cars are laying on the horn and literally driving on the sidewalk cause they don't want to wait.

Cutting out the bad

Finished product, not the greatest repair due to the fact that the Old brick work already had big mortar joints with full 8in brick and of course the new bricks are mods leaving even bigger joints but honestly the owners of the building really don't care. They know it will be hit again. This time we removed the steel angle iron meant to protect the corner because it was causing more harm than good because when a truck hits the angle iron it wipes out the whole corner instead of smaller chunks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
Fishindude (10-10-2017), fjn (10-10-2017), illbuildit.dd (10-31-2017), Jaws (10-10-2017), natural1 (11-03-2017), onmywayup (10-09-2017), Rio (10-09-2017), SmallTownGuy (10-10-2017), superseal (10-09-2017), Tom Struble (10-30-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,626

Re: They Love Hitting My Walls!

Got stuck waiting for a truck in Trenton last week.

Same situation, loading dock is actually back inside the building.
What made it worse for the driver was the walls inside the building weren't 90deg to the outside wall opening.

If he had been southbound and backed in it would have been ok.
But north bound and he had to back the truck and cut a harder angle to get to the loading dock.

Felt sorry for the guy. He had the street block for almost ten minutes trying get in side.

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,378

There is one wall in a neighborhood in North Austin that I actually keep a supply of block for. It is a 4" Split Face white block capped with a 6" S/F block, post tensioned wall. 4" I stock normally, but the 6" I do not, other than a cube or so for this wall. It has probably been hit (and by hit, I mean driven through) 10 times in the last 10 years, at least.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
Pro

There is a another factory that we do a lot of repair work on as well, and the pier between the two overhead doors has been hit so many times it's not even funny. It's in a really bad location in comparison to the parking lot and near the corner of the building and in the morning until about noon the sun completely blinds the drivers so basically they're backing into a black hole with the sun in their windshield. These old buildings in the Chicagoland area were never designed for the huge trucks that we have on the road now days

It is a very busy warehouse so we have to do the repair work on the weekends, one time we fixed it on Saturday and on Monday afternoon they called us up and said we had to come repair it. I said we did repair it on Saturday and they said Yep they hit it again Monday afternoon.

It even had a concrete pier in front of it, obviously wasn't sufficient enough so they actually poured an oversize concrete island like one big enough to dock a barge onto and they haven't hit it in a couple years now. I think they finally figured it out

Last edited by Windycity; 10-09-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 36

I think I would have moved the bollard After the second hit.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry / Carpentry Construction and Restoration
Rewards Points: 4,640

Looks good Windy...that's a solid repair for what you had.

I probably get a call or two a month for vehicles into buildings.

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
Old 10-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 156

Hey, don't forget to thank the forklift drivers too. They also provide us with a whole lot of work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
fjn (10-10-2017), RacinMason (10-26-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Brickwork
Rewards Points: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
Hey, don't forget to thank the forklift drivers too. They also provide us with a whole lot of work.
Yes, they also seem to be using them to nick cash machines.
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...igger-13476019
Old 10-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 8,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post

I was thinking Windy may want to give the drivers a tip.

Repair looks very nice !
Old 10-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 8,156

Thirty + yrs.a go,a woman drove her car thru the back wall of her house and almost ended up in the basement. She actually blamed it on her husband. She said he parked on HER SIDE of the garage.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
Pro

ironically I talked above about the pier that they keep hitting until they poured a huge concrete pylon in front of and they called us yesterday and they managed to hit it again. They haven't hit that one in years so it's kinda funny that I posted about it and within 24 hours someone took it out. We will be there on Saturday to fix it so I will post photos when I get them!

These "emergency" repair jobs definitely keep me busy but they sure throw a wrench in the schedule. Always when I am busy and short staffed

Old 10-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #12
Pro

Well I finally had a chance to fix the pier I mentioned above. This pier we have repaired at least 20 times. It used to be the main truck dock and The building is 50 or so years old and was never made for the massive trucks we have nowadays. They used to have 4 trailers wide in the dock and it was tight but the company added a huge addition to the plant with much improved truck docks so now it is only one trailer per door and they put this huge concrete barrier to protect the wall but someone still managed to hit it.

The first pic was at 7am and itís still dark out! Man do I hate shorter days and wintertime!

And the finished repair

Here you can see the width of the concrete barrier, you would think it would be impossible to hit the pier wouldnít you???

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
fjn (10-28-2017), superseal (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
Master Mason

Rewards Points: 106

Looks good. How are they managing to hit it? The concrete barrier is wider than the pier.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #14
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 162

The trailer box is wider than the the wheels. Especially at the back corner, if it's coming in at a bit of an angle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
RacinMason (10-29-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 12:58 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 926

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have limited knowledge of block work, especially for industrial... Do you have to support those steel beams to do this? I'm curious as to what goes in to this type is repair

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblakes1 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have limited knowledge of block work, especially for industrial... Do you have to support those steel beams to do this? I'm curious as to what goes in to this type is repair

Usually yes, however this pier has a huge steel support column that is holding up the door I beams. Itís been hit so many times that we added reinforcement welds years ago to tie them to the column for added security.

Basically the block is simply a masonry veneer around the steel column

Usually (not always) when you have a large opening with a lot of weight on top of it there is a pretty good chance there is a steel column in there

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
RacinMason (10-30-2017), rblakes1 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 194

piss poor drivers. can't feel, let alone see the bollard/barrier? zero excuse for that b.s.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Usually yes, however this pier has a huge steel support column that is holding up the door I beams. Itís been hit so many times that we added reinforcement welds years ago to tie them to the column for added security.

Basically the block is simply a masonry veneer around the steel column

Usually (not always) when you have a large opening with a lot of weight on top of it there is a pretty good chance there is a steel column in there

Cool, thanks! I was wondering if there was a steel support behind there. I think I've laid maybe 20 blocks in my life lol

Advertisement