Tearing A Chimney Down

Old 12-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 534

Tearing A Chimney Down

I am having to tear down a chimney and am concerned about the weight of the brick and mortar. I have a gooseneck dump trailer and am trying to figure out if I can dump the weight myself. I done some rough figuring and came up with a rough brick count of 1000 bricks. At a pound and a half per brick, that brings my total up to about 1500lbs. Add a little for the mortar attached and I am up to around 1700lbs.

The chimney is and old one without any kind of flue liner at all. It is maybe 15' tall and something close to 24"x24".

Does my brick count and estimated weight sound about right or am I completly off base?

You hired WHO

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Build, Remodel, Roofing, Siding etc...
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Tearing A Chimney Down

I use this site for a reference http://www.age.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/h/H20.pdf
it shows 4" bricks at 42 pounds per sq ft and cement at 94 pounds per cubic ft
8 bricks per course and 3 courses per foot. 8 sq feet per linear foot of chimney at 346 lbs per linear foot times 15 feet equals 5190 lbs total weight for 2'x2'x15'. my calculation of 346 lbs is done by 42 lbs per square foot and add 10lbs of mortar. a linear foot foot of chimney is 2 sq feet per side times 4 sides equals 8 square ft per linear foot. 8 sq ft times 42 lbs per sq foot plus 10 lbs mortar equals 346 lbs.

this seems a little confusing, but i'm posting it anyway

Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,358

For 1000 brick plus mortar, I would figure closer to 4000# if not a little more.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Pro

Thanks for the info. Tait, thanks for that listing of weights. Nice thing to hang on to. After looking at that sheet and calculating that, I come up with 5523lbs. Good thing I can dump 11k. It bothered me after seeing the 6x6 pad on the trailer jack about 8" under the ground.

You hired WHO
Old 12-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,234

More than one load. Check you brick weight. You malso end up with more mud and junk than you expect.

Just start at the top and drop everything down into the trailer.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Pro

If it will ever quit raining down here so I could make a trip to the dump, I'll come back and update the total weight. We can even turn it into a game. Lets see who can guess the weight the closest. Winner gets a brick out of the chimney to use as a paper weight, fishing sinker, or a spare key when your customer forgets to hide you the key.

You hired WHO
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Pro

OK. I just got back from the landfill and the scales were frozen. After I explained in great detail about their lack of work ethic, they finally agreed to estimate my load so I could pay them and dump it. The guy at the landfill estimated it at 6500lbs. He figured my bill at $55/ton to come up with a total of $68.50. I asked him to refigure and he came up with the same thing again, so I wrote the check and took off before his calculator thawed.

So Tait is the closest, send me your shipping info and I will send you your prize.

You hired WHO