Supporting Brick While Enlarging A Garage Opening

Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Supporting Brick While Enlarging A Garage Opening

I need some help on this one. I have a customer that has a sagging garage door header. Apparently no one calculated a point load on the garage door header from a beam on the second floor. As part of the repairs, the customer wants to enlarge the opening to accommodate an 8' door instead of the existing 7' door.

I have attached a cad of the wall (my camera battery died and gas is too high to drive over just for a picture). Anyway, here my question. Is there anyway to support the brick above the opening while I remove the existing lintel, beam and 1' of brick? The house is 8-10 years old and short of removing brick on the entire side, I do not want it to appeared "patched". We are doing a stucco border around both garage doors when we finish the opening so I have a little bit of leeway for the first 12" of brick surrounding the door.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Point of clarification: The garage door that is sagging is the double door (16') and we are enlarging the opening from 7' high to 8' high. The beam is undersized and the lintel is warped due to the sagging beam therefore, both will be replaced. I can brace the lintel and remove/replace the beam from inside the garage. Is there anyway to then remove 1' of brick and insert a new lintel?
Attached Thumbnails
Supporting brick while enlarging a garage opening-floyd-garage1.jpg  

Last edited by AtlRemodeling; 09-16-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Supporting Brick While Enlarging A Garage Opening

both the lintel and header will now be to short, by the time you remove both, the only thing you will have left is sheathing and brick, the brick must go. imo

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Independent Cost Estimator
Rewards Points: 252

I'm no Mason but I'm thinking the brick should have a Angle Iron lentel above the door now. You will need to replaced it. So a 6' X 4' X 5/16" angle iron run 12" past the R.O. should be plenty to hold up the brick while you do the removal of the brick below. (Of course I'm not an Engineer either so you want to consult the local codes.) Cut the Mortar line out at the new height and slide the new angle iron in before you remove anything.

That's my 2 cents I'm sure some Masons will chime in. Good Luck
Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Stonemasonry
Rewards Points: 264

It can be done a number of ways. Heck the house movers move whole chimneys along with the house! It will come down to "is it worth it".
Old 09-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via Yahoo to send_it_all

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecarp View Post
both the lintel and header will now be to short, by the time you remove both, the only thing you will have left is sheathing and brick, the brick must go. imo
I think he raising the height of the door opening...not the width.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Bricklayer / contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Yes it can be done by knocking out bricks at about 2' intervals, passing a prop with an attachable "foot" through
But honestly it is a lot of work and will always look like a patch job. It really would be easier to take out the Bwk above and re - build. With some carefull toothing and mortar match it will look a lot better.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: building for 30 years. new homes , additions
Rewards Points: 250

It is much faster to use a air hammer and remove the brick. You could clean the bricks and put them back up. If the door is not getting wider you mite try to cut in a new header and remove the old header after. If there are lots of brick ties the brick mit hang off the framing. I removed 50 ' of block work on a ranch and left all the brick hanging above . It was nasty but it worked.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcaygeonjon View Post
Yes it can be done by knocking out bricks at about 2' intervals, passing a prop with an attachable "foot" through
But honestly it is a lot of work and will always look like a patch job. It really would be easier to take out the Bwk above and re - build. With some carefull toothing and mortar match it will look a lot better.

I've also sawed out a long horizontal joint, placed a 3X4 angle in the curf and braced it from below.

Advertisement