Stucco Patch

Old 03-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: commercial building restoration
Rewards Points: 250

Stucco Patch

hey guys, I have a 12 story stucco building in Cleveland where the existing stucco is failing in a few areas (approx 4% of the building). the owner said that they have been using DAP stucco patch.....I dont want to use that product.

Anyone have a stucco material that they would recommend for an environment like Cleveland (lots of freeze thaw)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Sean

Trade: In Between Titles
Rewards Points: 2,082

Re: Stucco Patch

What is on there now? 3 coat, EIFS, ???

Do you have the experience to match the texture & make it blend in?

My best advice is to remove the bad area's - clean up till it reaches a good solid area & replace with the appropriate system / materials. I would also find someone really experienced in doing this type of work and use them.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Design

Quickrete has a product called "stucco finish coat" that works and is easy to use. Maybe use a bonding agent underneath.

However, since you mention that it's a 12 story building, your cost to reach the areas to repair is probably going to be more than whatever material you actually use. So SLS' advice about using someone who really knows what they're doing is probably the best bet. You don't want to get 12 stories up in the air more than once.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Pro

we have the equipment and experience to work at heights - did a 30 story building last summer. Stucco is not something that we do every day.

Matching the texture will be an issue but nothing a little trial and error wont fix. The substrate under the stucco is brick. bonding agent is a good idea not sure about Quickrete though - its more of a residential product isnt it?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Bricklayer
Rewards Points: 528

Some quikcrete products are home owner products. Spec mix is owned by quikcrete which is mainly used in commercial work. Quikcrete makes many quality products.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #6

Trade: exterior, stucco
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brickie View Post
Some quikcrete products are home owner products. Spec mix is owned by quikcrete which is mainly used in commercial work. Quikcrete makes many quality products.
why won't u use dryvit? Just go to any dryvit dealer and they will help you match the color. The reason for peeling off is temperature they applied stucco in or the buckets left outside in low temp. post some picks, i might help some more
Old 03-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,248

If you could post a pic of a chunk of the failing stucco showing the layers it would help. Is it lath over brick, foam over brick or simply mortar slathered over it. Pretty hard to diagnose without more information.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
Pro

Well, the stucco is not dryvet its a stucco over block. I contacted BASF and it is a spray on stucco. I am still waiting on material pricing and data pages for the material - I will post the product once i get that info.

We have the equipment that can spray this material so it well be much easier to match now. here is a pic of the building.
Attached Thumbnails
Stucco patch-westlake-condo-pictures-001.jpg   Stucco patch-westlake-condo-pictures-014.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
Pro

OK - the materials i am going with on this project are as follows:

Spot Prime with Thoro CM Primer

Stucco Repair with Thorocoat Heavy Tex

Top coat with VIP 8100 elasto.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
Pro

Just did a sample of the Thorocoat Heavy Tex in our shop. Not even close

I am going to try STO FreeForm 299 if they ever call me back with a material price.

I don't want to use a cement based product - I dont have time for it to cure. We gotta get this building painted.

Any other recommendations on materials?