Smoothing Out An Earth Formed Foundation Wall

Old 02-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,302

Smoothing Out An Earth Formed Foundation Wall

I'm adding a couple egress windows to a house I'm just starting on. The old foundation walls are in good shape but were earth formed on the exterior and not at all smooth.

What's a typical way of going at this to smooth it out? I have a 7" grinder with a cup wheel, and a roto hammer with a chipper. This was my plan, but it'l surely be a few hours of work spewing silica dust plumes, so I'm wondering if there's an easier way.

I'm pretty sure I'll be parging it also, but it varies by 4 or more inches now so I at least need to take off the high spots and give a cleaner surface for the parging to bite.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 598

Re: Smoothing Out An Earth Formed Foundation Wall

Planishing bit (the meat tenderizer bit) and your grinding cup. Cut relief cuts into the mounds and chip those off, use the planisher to take out waviness, cup grind to flatten, then parge away.

At least, that's how I've done it... And I haven't done it very much... Probably 4 times in the last 10 years. So take that with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asevereid For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (02-24-2018), Golden view (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
Planishing bit (the meat tenderizer bit) and your grinding cup. Cut relief cuts into the mounds and chip those off, use the planisher to take out waviness, cup grind to flatten, then parge away.

At least, that's how I've done it... And I haven't done it very much... Probably 4 times in the last 10 years. So take that with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
4 more times than me. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 1,678

Instead of taking it down, why not build it up to flat? Does the thickness matter to you? The bigger knobs will just add bite.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Instead of taking it down, why not build it up to flat? Does the thickness matter to you? The bigger knobs will just add bite.
It's board formed and parged above grade, so I'd rather match that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
Peter_C (02-21-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
It's board formed and parged above grade, so I'd rather match that.
Also it would take about 1 bag to parge it if smooth and about 12 if I left it as is. There's a middle ground I'm sure.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:28 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,381

I assume you are cutting into the concrete from both sides with a wet 14" diamond bladed demo saw....

Cut your jambs as square as possible to the wall starting on the above grade flat surface, use a guide rail for the starter cut. when the window opening is cleaned out then smooth the jamb, and lay out a plumb line down onto the over pour below grade, saw to full depth ~5.25" deep, spaced the same width as the above outside,formed part of the wall, plumb in both X & Y dimensions, parallel to the interior corner of the jamb.

That should allow the installation of a treated buck, a narrow side board and a metal window well lip to screw to the now flat and plumb concrete...

Dig down to the legacy tile for water disposal prior to any saw cutting if one is present..install the tee and upright piece of tile with part of the washed rock for the rest of cutting, no sense working in puddle.

My experience with this type of wall pour, the clay? tile if present is UNDER the concrete.....

over dig so U have plenty of room for the power head of your saws.

You could rent a 16" big saw if your window jamb details needed the extra inch reveal, ~100.00$ to save a few hours of grinding and chiseling.

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 02-24-2018 at 12:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
Golden view (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
edward trowelhands

Finished yesterday. Wasn't all that hard.

I sub out most concrete cutting so I don't have to worry about that on this one. This job has 2 window wells, 5 big footings, 1 extra wall cut for access to crawlspace, 2 exterior slab cuts and one interior slab cut.

I won't be back to this one for a couple weeks, but I'll post pictures when done. Pouring the window wells.

There's no drain tile here, but I overdug about 14", will install 8" drain rock, and another company is doing an interior waterproofing retrofit where they membrane the walls and install a perimeter drain to a sump pump. They drill through the wall below the window cutout and install a pipe plumbed into the perimeter drain.

This house has water issues. Not much comes through the walls, but it comes up through cracks in the slab every other year or so.

Advertisement