Sealing Interior Brick....which Type Of Sealer?

Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Customer Education & Development
Rewards Points: 1,002

Sealing Interior Brick....which Type Of Sealer?

Have a friend who is remodeling a historic building to turn into a restaurant. The interior walls are exposed, really old, really soft, unstruck load bearing walls. My friend is concerned about particulate falling off of the walls and interfering with the happy eating experience he hopes to provide for his clientele. His preference is something that will seal in as much as possible the crap that wants to fall down. So far we have taken a rub brick to remove as much loose mortar as possible, (which really really helped) and then acid washed/scraped to remove the mortar film. They look fine but now we need to seal.

For stamped concrete I use a solvent based 30% solids clear sealer which works real nice on decorative concrete but I'm unsure how it will handle the brick. The manufacturer says they use it on interior brick quite often but I'm a little skeptical.

Any experiences w/ sealer and brick out there?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,320

Re: Sealing Interior Brick....which Type Of Sealer?

It should work fine, just leave enough time for it to cure out and quit reeking.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #3

Trade: Bricklayer
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Sealing Interior Brick....which Type Of Sealer?

I don't know what liquids you have in the u.s. but i tend to use PVA mixed with water, it provides a brilliant seal which is clear and not solvent based and if you water it down enough the brick will suck it up, two or three coats of this and the restaurant will be dust free.