Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Retaining wall project

28K views 147 replies 24 participants last post by  superseal 
#1 ·
Filled the last two weeks doing small jobs just trying to stay busy whilst the Township drug their feet approving my wall project permit.

It's my hometown actually, so I know the folks involved and their actually a pretty good bunch of peeps :rolleyes:

Even small jobs like this need to go though the planning commission which meets every Tuesday night and through zoning. Usually takes about a week to gather all the signatures then your good to go if everything's cool. Seems as though one guy is on vacation so that's what's holding things up.

Never mind, I'm gettin' started anyway :whistling... soon as I get this round in :thumbup:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Not this area thank god - that's a whole nother bag of chips :laughing:

The old time BI who retired would give me this permit over the counter and sign the back of his card..."Okay to start, permit in progress".

I use to love that guy :thumbup:

It's all changed now - new blood in the office with the certified inspectors the state now requires and it's just the way it is :sad:

#3 ·
Some of you may remember this place from last year. We did the patio, walk, steps, sidewalk and curb. Owner wanted a natural brick retaining wall but couldn't swing it at the time but promised next season,...here we are and he's good to his word. Gotta admire people like that in my book.

Anyway, he actually installed this wall himself 30 years ago so he says. Held up pretty good considering it only four inches thick and nailed together :laughing:

I'll give him one of the 12 spikes he pounded it together with as a keepsake for old memories while I pleasurably demo this eyesore and take it to the dump.

Couldn't up sell any raised pilasters or fancy stuff on this one - owner wants basic so owners getting basic...simple 10" thick running bond brick masonry wall with 2" PA bluestone caps.

Still gotta appreciate the guy for choosing traditional masonry...I really don't get a chance do many of these anymore with all the current hardscape products.

This is what it'll probably look like when I'm done, same kinda brick - except with steps in the center.

Attachments

#7 ·
T has it - I'll use a parge coat over the 6" block and "pookie" as he likes to call it :laughing: over that up to grade. Wall will also receive 1ft thick crushed stone drainage w/ 4" perf pipe which will bleed out through open head joint weeps in the front in the front of the wall.

As we all know, drainage is key for long term survival of any retaining wall.

#8 ·
The permit still ain't ready pick up so I'm told, but I'm getting started with it anyway. At least I can take the old wall down and start digging the footing. A 12" x 3' deep monopour was specified and I'll bell the bottoms out to sixteen for good measure.

Not long into the job and I've already hit a snag...Nieghbors water line runs parallel in my footing as proposed and I'm not sure how to handle this. Got a call into the water co. to see If i can get some guidance as I haven't run into this before.

I had had all of the utilities marked and it showed two waterlines about two feet apart and gas service in this one section. Normally a one inch sleeve and I'm pouring concrete if it's perpendicular, but I'm not sure about parallel.

Neighbors line actually grades up in the footing trench as shallow as
24" - out frost line around here is 36". What's up with that - normally their much deeper and I hardly ever run into them with a 3' excavation.

Guess I'll have to see what they say about this - definitely don't want any problems with the utilities If i can help it.

Attachments

#12 ·
Ya, I know what you mean by rocky soil. Fortunately this area is mostly clayish after about a foot of topsoil.

Still no answer on the water line - got a call in but no return yet.

The one side is all dug - just gonna call for a pre-pour and see what the inspector thinks. Hoping I can dig out a bigger footprint in that area and add extra rebar - off course in combination with a humongous sleeve.

Anybody else with any thoughts short of moving it?

Attachments

#14 ·
Finally spoke to the inspector at his office yesterday and much like the permit lady said, I was approved to start work.

Had to fess up and told him I already did :thumbup: No big deal he say's,...can't expect you to wait for signatures on vacation so I conveniently asked for a pre-pour inspection while I was there.

He came right down to the job, but I only had one side complete :blink:

Had to explain I don't like leaving earthen forms open too long during questionable weather as heavy rains can ruin it fast. If I got to pour this thing quick, I wanna be able to do so.

Once again, no problem...did'nt even wanna come back to check on the other side after seeing what we're doing :whistling

That's definitely the type of relationship I shoot for with inspectors - mutual trust, mutual respect. Goes along way in the end I find.

Now gettin' back to work...Got away with sleeving both water mains with 1" thick foam to allow for any potential movement and continued on digging the other side.

Hot work this is...this place is all sun :eek:

Attachments

#15 ·
My main worry from day one was not getting any rain prior to pouring the footing. Two downspout leaders tie together and are hard piped underground on the neighbors side and discharge near that right side fence post. Needless to say, it would be like opening a fire hose into the footing where the utilities are and I'd hate to have to dig that out again :no:

No matter, weather looks good and should be pouring today - till i woke up this morning and a wicked thunderstorm was rolling by. Where the hell did that come from :eek:

Thank god it only skirted us, so not much rain with this one.

Quick call to my buddy and 5 yards is on it's way :thumbsup:

Attachments

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I poured the footing on Friday and called it a day...wicked heat for sure and I was beat anyway. Saturday got up late and hit two local suppliers trying to stock up for tomorrow. Picked up some 6" hollows, sand, cement and lime.

I normally only use my buddy chugo's place for concrete, sand, cement and most supplies. But when it comes to block, it's Fizzano Bros. In business since 1935 and right around the corner from me, it's a no brainer.

This place makes everything block that's for sure.

Damn my boots are looking beat up! Time for some extra fancy tallow.

Attachments

#20 ·
Was short on rebar, wall ties, etc...so I got a late start today :rolleyes:

No matter - off loaded some block, cement, lime and sand and made a run. While I was out, Elaine from the permit office called and said permit pickup was ready :thumbup: about damn time I say :whistling...anyway after some BS chatting with the inspector I was on my way. Only other inspection he wants on this job is prior to backfill /drainage. Told him no problem, I'll call ya when I'm ready.

No helper this week - I beat him up pretty bad last week and I think he's recouping down the shore.

Oh well,... like I ain't used to working by myself anyway :whistling

I wet set random rebar left over from the footing knowing I'd be drilling and doweling additional rebar anyway. Just easier to do once the block is laid out for a little wall like this and I was too lazy to figure it out the day i poured the footing anyway :rolleyes:

No matter, It's keyed in pretty well :thumbup:

Attachments

#22 ·
I'm laying block this morning minding my own business when a guy and gal pull up and park across the street. Green van, out of state tags and equipped with a Makita chipper hammer. Turns out they're replacing 4 sidewalk blocks the hard way :blink:

Took them about six hours to prep these up. Damn girl worked like a maniac.

Wait a minute...I should hire her :laughing:

Another sunny, hot, blistering day...can't seem to get any relief on this job :censored:

Hope these two aren't fellow CT'ers and recognize themselves :eek:

Attachments

#26 ·
I not really concerned about drainage under the footing as much as drainage behind the wall in this application. Yes, still a lot of soil to be removed from behind the wall for my helper when he comes back :thumbup: That area receives a one foot wide cut down to the base and is filled with clean 3/4 stone, fabric and 4" perf pipe.

#29 ·
So I finished the one side and moved over to the other. Was gonna be short on block so I had to make another run. No biggie, just up the road. Spent the rest of the afternoon baking in the sun laying out the other side. These ain't gotta look pretty- just on the mark.

Gotta be a better way of makin' a buck :no:

Attachments

#33 ·
Nice work Superseal!

It's amazing how much work goes into building a proper retaining wall.

I too like the detail on the step nose. Have a trowel for that? I have seen a couple years ago.

There are some huge retaining walls built in STL. They build on goat hills there.

Steve:thumbup:
Yep, trowel and chamfer strip enables an easy bullnose. Well, sorta easy.

Attachments

#32 ·
I keep looking for holes in the block for the perf pipe to go through but I don't see it. Where will it drain?
I could always core out the holes if you like, but i normally just leave open heads on the first course - perf pipe goes behind the wall.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.