Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

removing ice on steps

22K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Willy is 
#1 ·
hello all. what is the best thing to use on concrete, brick, bluestone, etc., to melt ice and snow without damaging? would you guys recommend magnesium chloride?

#8 ·
would you guys recommend magnesium chloride?
Only if I wanted to get repair work.:thumbsup:

Seriously though, don't ever put that stuff on concrete or most stone. Like captiansls said, granite would be about the only stone that would hold up to stuff like that....but even then you should use it sparingly depending on the quality and condition of the granite you could damage it.

#12 ·
I'd suggest staying away from the magnesium chloride, and anything else other than small amounts of calcium chloride or sodium chloride (yes, plain old "rock salt".)

Using a penetrating sealer like a siloxane or silane certainly helps as well.

If you want the guaranteed "fool proof" approach go with Dick's recommendation, or use torpedo sand & take your shoes off at the door......

#15 ·
Beet juice doesn't actually do any of the melting on it's own, it only serves as the "carrier" or "enhancer", for the lack of a better term. When used in a deicer application, you'll always find it's mixed with calcium chloride. The primary reason it's used is for it's residual qualities, and when aplied to bulk rock salt, it helps lessen "road bounce". Well, of course it makes people feel all warm & fuzzy for being "Green" also..............

#16 ·
Vegetable liquids are used frequently to pre-treat highways in some areas if you do not have rain, sleet or wet snows that dilute it. The dry snow does not stick and snow removal is easier and eliminates the majority of use of salt later. - Unfortunately, if you are south or east of MN, the use is minimal because of the amount of wet snow in those areas.

#17 ·
We did a nice rebuild of a brick porch. They salted it and it destroyed it in a matter of 4-5 years. I think you would have to seal it and keep resealing it to stand a chance, but all bets would be off.
To the best of my knowledge, there is no "safe"; just less worse.

Years ago I lived next to an old alcoholic. We got along fine. I would do my walks and then do Ralph's as well. He was a kind and appreciative soul at times and so he would return the favor. He wouldn't shovel, but he did put kitty litter on my walk and it made it a little less likely to slip on.

After I saw him do it a few times (I'd always come home in the dark), I took a closer look. Hmmmmmmm; recycled kitty litter. :no:

Good old Ralph. :rolleyes:

willy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.