Petrified Wood

Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
Stonemason

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 390

Petrified Wood

Had a message when I got home the other day from a guy selling 'petrified wood'. He was offering it up as an alternative to stone for facing fireplaces etc.
I'm just wondering if anyone here has used petrified wood before, or seen it used. Does it behave the same way as stone? ie. can you chisel it? or must it be sawn? anyother characteristics of note? what is a reasonable price for the material?
I'm not terribly interested in acquiring large volumes of the stuff, but I thougt it might be interesting to include a piece or two in each fireplace that we do, as sort of a 'signature' thing.
Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 992

Re: Petrified Wood

When I lived in N. AZ way back when we had a petrified log out by our mailbox, about 20" diameter and maybe 7' long....I cannot imagine what that would be worth today....anyhow, petrified wood in generally loaded with inclusions, which mean a chisel is next to worthless. It is more like a gemstone that building stone in beauty and cost. A customer once bought a table where the top was petrified wood-easily the most spectacular table I've ever seen...mindblowing colors...It had a high polish, but I'm guessing some filling had been done. I like the idea of a fireplace surround, although I'm guessing that would be fairly pricey as well. So, cut and polish you will be o.k., leave the chisel in the bag. Also, I believe the nicest petrified wood is from the Petrified Forest in N AZ, but there is no picking anymore...there are petrified woods from Oregon/Washington, and South America, probably other places as well, but they for some reason (species of wood?) lack the brilliant colors of the AZ wood....I would be interested in talking to that guy-would you share that info? Hope this helps a little....

Old 02-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry / architectural stone carving
Rewards Points: 250

There are a couple of areas in Texas where petrified wood was used for masonry walls --petrified palmwood is the state fossil. Some really beautiful work, but be aware that there is no working, or shaping of the stone--you can break it up, but that's about it. Some you can't cut on a waterbath diamond saw unless you have literally hours to make the cut. As a focal point insert, it, along with other fossils and mineral specimens can have a great appeal for some of your more adventurist clients.

JVC
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 510

there is a home in enid oklahoma,that now houses the midgley museum.area people know it as the rock house.it also features a 7000 pound piece of pertified wood in the front lawn.
ive attached a picture,but its not the best.i have driven by the house several times but have never stopped.they say there are 3000 different types of rock on this house.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmonster View Post
When I lived in N. AZ way back when we had a petrified log out by our mailbox, about 20" diameter and maybe 7' long....I cannot imagine what that would be worth today....anyhow, petrified wood in generally loaded with inclusions, which mean a chisel is next to worthless. It is more like a gemstone that building stone in beauty and cost. A customer once bought a table where the top was petrified wood-easily the most spectacular table I've ever seen...mindblowing colors...It had a high polish, but I'm guessing some filling had been done. I like the idea of a fireplace surround, although I'm guessing that would be fairly pricey as well. So, cut and polish you will be o.k., leave the chisel in the bag. Also, I believe the nicest petrified wood is from the Petrified Forest in N AZ, but there is no picking anymore...there are petrified woods from Oregon/Washington, and South America, probably other places as well, but they for some reason (species of wood?) lack the brilliant colors of the AZ wood....I would be interested in talking to that guy-would you share that info? Hope this helps a little....
I've been to the Petrified Forrest in AZ and I know exactly what you're saying, that rock around there is like nothing I've ever seen.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry / architectural stone carving
Rewards Points: 250

Couple of shots from Rockdale Tx:

JVC
Attached Thumbnails
Petrified Wood-pw1.jpg   Petrified Wood-pw2.jpg   Petrified Wood-pw3.jpg  
Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,244

I have seen those houses and a couple in Austin and Fredricksburg, too. To my eye, they are hideous, somewhat akin to picking up trash off the streets using it as masonry.

It is not the petrified wood, it is just it's use in the wall that is ugly to me. Every stone has it's place, and that ain't the place for those stones.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Customer Education & Development
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post
Couple of shots from Rockdale Tx:

JVC
I don't know what to think...in some ways it looks better than I thought it would. Don't like the red roof. Interesting how they use that white joint to deceive the eye. Makes every piece look about perfect from aways back. Wonder how they achieve that effect?

I would agree though that petrified wood, though beautiful isn't really for facing houses. I myself have a 1000 lb piece I brought from N. Az to SC in the back of my ford ranger. My brothers still make fun of me for that.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 992

Tim, go to arizonapetrifiedwood.com , go to tabletops, and see what they get...your brothers won't be making fun of you anymore....
Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
Stonemason

Rewards Points: 390

Hi all, Sorry for the delay in getting back to this.
I certainly appreciate your input, especially the pictures. While I can see that petrified wood has it's place, it would definitely not be appropriate for our area... I always like to use material that at least blends in to the natural surrounding to a certain degree....and the petrified wood definitely wouldn't do it for us.
All this is 'moot' at this point as the fellow who initially contacted me to sell the stuff has apparently disappeared into the ozone... so I'm sorry i can't pass on any contact info to those who expressed interest