Parging Block

Old 07-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Customer Education & Development
Rewards Points: 1,002

Parging Block

I'd like to hear opinions about the best way to parge concrete block. I have a couple of jobs here in the future like this and I'm not sure that the way I've been taught is the best.

Up to this point in my short career all I have done is 2 coats of type s mortar. 1st coat troweled on and then litely raked. 2nd coat applied the same way to the dried scratch coat and then a light sponge finish.

Is that pretty much the way most people do it? Is there some additive or mortar mix that works better?

What about painted block? I have a job coming up that the lady wants me to parge the new block as well as her old block foundation which was painted?

Hmm

Thanks,

Tim

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,358

Re: Parging Block

When you say parging, do you mean to leave it as a decorative finish? I assume you do.

There are a couple of things to make a block wall take a stucco finish better.

First, when you are laying the block, do not tool the joints. This is the only time you will ever hear me say to not do this, but by not doing so, you will eliminate about 90% of the "wet lines" in damp stucco. Just strike them off flush.

Second, I always use an acrylic additive and (stucco grade) fiber mesh in both coats. To prevent a hairy finish, add the water (and color) to your mix water and stir well to break up clumps. Sometimes you will still get a few hairs, in which case you can burn them off with a heat gun if it is an issue.

As for the painted block, you will almost certainly have to use a mechanically adhered lath to do a suitable job, unless you remove the paint.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Customer Education & Development
Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough
When you say parging, do you mean to leave it as a decorative finish? I assume you do.
Yep...thats what I have always called. I might be the only one though...but surely i've heard it from somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough
Second, I always use an acrylic additive and (stucco grade) fiber mesh in both coats. To prevent a hairy finish, add the water (and color) to your mix water and stir well to break up clumps. Sometimes you will still get a few hairs, in which case you can burn them off with a heat gun if it is an issue.
How much acrylic additive fiber mesh do you add to the mix? Any brand names that work particularily well and were do you find these products?

We don't really have a masonry/stucco supply warehouse anywhere around here.

Thanks for the reply.
Tim
Old 07-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Pro

For the fiber, I add a handful per bag of masonry; it isn't critical. For the bonding additive, you have to read the bottle. Every manufacturer uses a different concentration of latex/acrylic in their mix. It is critical to get that close, as big differences can cause color and sheen differences.

I call "parging" the act of coating masonry using the same mortar you are laying it with, and usually coating it as you go for purposes of sealing it against water or smoke.

Decorative parging is usually done at a later stage with a different mix and is called "stucco" on the exterior (using cement or lime products), "plaster" (using gypsum products) on the interior or "render" in the UK (using either).
Old 07-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 520

what is the best additive to use tscar?i am still having problems with my brown coat cracking.i have been using a nice handful of fiber to the mix,(1/2 mas 1/2 port and 5 buckets(25 shovels)sand.i have also added an extra shovel of portland to the mix.i am saturating the wall before i brown coat.my brown coat is only about 1/4"thick.and i am also keeping it wet during the process of appling.(not soaked but just misted)also i am wetting it down at least 2-3x before i leave for the day,and the h/o is wetting it once before he leaves.and the next day i have been wetting it down.
the ho wants to try no fiber and another portland tommorow,and we are looking for additive.thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 07:24 PM   #6
Pro

Probably too wet a mix. It is usually 100 degrees with direct sun on anything I do before it sets enough to scratch it, and I have very little to no cracking, ever (with no misting, though once it sets, I may hit it with a hose). Typically for small jobs, I use prebagged type S mortar, and for bigger ones use Type S mortar cement. The mix for scratchcoat is not nearly as wet as for laying rock or even a hard brick.

For bonding agent I use whatever is available, sometimes from my store, sometimes from the depot, and for fiber I always use Fibermesh green bag.

Going by your formula, I would cut it back to either straight masonry, or 1 masonry, 1/2 portland, max. That is what most stucco'ers around here use, but they are doing 3/8, 1/4, skim, using a very dry mix and no misting at all. Strength is not an issue. What counts is shrinkage, flexibility, and water-tightness.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #7
ALL VINYL

Trade: VINYL SIDING CARPENTRY
Rewards Points: 150

all vinyl
Trade:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

new foundation plastered then a whole was made for garage door now what is the best addative for adhetion for the plaster coat to plaster coat .the foundation is only 3 months old . they way I was taught on old foundation was wirer ,scratch coat and finish coat . I was looking for an addative to go right over thanks in advance .
Old 11-21-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,590

silpro.com I use SILPRO products all the time. I've had good luck with them. Check out the site and scroll to toward the bottom. I'm using California Stucco on a job right now. Also, tech questions with them are just a phone call away.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #9

If I am not mistaken Duracoat brushed on will help it stick better to the block.

And I just redid some stucco and use Sakrete Mortar/stuccko mix and it worked really good.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #10
ALL VINYL

Trade: VINYL SIDING CARPENTRY
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJKarl View Post
silpro.com I use SILPRO products all the time. I've had good luck with them. Check out the site and scroll to toward the bottom. I'm using California Stucco on a job right now. Also, tech questions with them are just a phone call away.
PERFECT THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR