Outdoor Firepit Problems

Old 09-26-2016, 10:21 PM   #1

Trade: General contractor

Outdoor Firepit Problems

Hi all,
I am having some problems with an exterior fire pit I recently built. The firepit was an afterthought that I added to the project to help with a grading issue (built on the corner of a raised patio so that I could go from one riser on one side to a two riser staircase on the other). Anyway I don't have much experience with firepits, so I let my mason contractor build it the way he saw fit. What he came up with is an inner structure of 8 inch block that is covered by cultured stone on the exterior and a parging on the interior. The top is then capped with 2'' brownstone. I thought everything looked great until I went to go see it this morning (homeowner had built a fire in it for the first time this weekend). As it turns out, the heat from the fire caused the inner mortar to crack in a bunch of different places. Additionally, one of the brownstone mortar joints had a large crack in it which almost looked like the stone had moved. After seeing the damage, I started doing research and began realizing that my mason should have used refractory mortar for the inside and possibly to set the brownstone caps. My question is, as a repair, if I scratch the inside mortar and put a coat of refactory mortar over it is that going to be enough. Is there something else I should use? I don't have enough overhang on the brownstone caps to line it with firebrick so that's out unless I want to replace it all. I was thinking about possibly bending up a metal (aluminum or copper) as some sort of liner. Does anyone have any suggestions? I included a picture of the pit in use that the homeowner sent to me over the weekend. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor firepit problems-image_1474942706712.jpeg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,838

Re: Outdoor Firepit Problems

Would have been nice to do it slightly different, the problem with simply parging it with a refractory mortar is it wont keep it from expanding from the heat.

A custom metal liner might be the best bet. Or just take it apart and line it with firebricks and rebuild.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
fjn (09-27-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
Pro

Was it a mason or a landscaper?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
brickhook (09-27-2016), Jaws (10-25-2017), Tinstaafl (09-26-2016)

Old 09-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 150

I'd never try parging CMU's for such an application. At the least, that thing should have been lined with firebrick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
brickhook (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 5,842

Pretty much whatever you do now is just putting a band aid on it.

With CMU's and cultured stone....several real hot fires and the stone will probably start popping off.

Lining the pit with fire brick would've certainly been the best.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to brickhook For This Useful Post:
fjn (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #6

Trade: General contractor

That's what I was afraid of. It was my mason, but I had never had him do something like this before for me. Guess I learned two things, one how to build a firepit, and two that my mason doesn't know how to. Okay, so if I tear the caps off and line the interior with firebrick, then cover the top with wider brownstone would that do the trick? I need to make it right so I have to come up with something. I really don't want to start from scratch as this thing is built into a patio with lights, intersecting treads, etc. The bottom of it consists of a 8" concrete slab and the sides as I said are 8" block that has a parging over it. Will the firebrick stop enough of the heat from popping the cultured stone? So I know for sure, do I use the 1 1/4'' firebrick that usually comes in a package of 6 and use refractory mortar to adhere them to the block like tile? Sorry if they are novice questions, but I believe I am going to have to do it myself as I made final payment to my X-mason and he hasn't returned my calls. Seems like no one owns up to their work anymore.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirebuilders View Post
That's what I was afraid of. It was my mason, but I had never had him do something like this before for me. Guess I learned two things, one how to build a firepit, and two that my mason doesn't know how to. Okay, so if I tear the caps off and line the interior with firebrick, then cover the top with wider brownstone would that do the trick? I need to make it right so I have to come up with something. I really don't want to start from scratch as this thing is built into a patio with lights, intersecting treads, etc. The bottom of it consists of a 8" concrete slab and the sides as I said are 8" block that has a parging over it. Will the firebrick stop enough of the heat from popping the cultured stone? So I know for sure, do I use the 1 1/4'' firebrick that usually comes in a package of 6 and use refractory mortar to adhere them to the block like tile? Sorry if they are novice questions, but I believe I am going to have to do it myself as I made final payment to my X-mason and he hasn't returned my calls. Seems like no one owns up to their work anymore.

Do you have a picture of it in the daylight? They also have thin firebricks as well that might be an option if you need to line in. I am suspicious about the fact that type N cracked after the first fire. We built alot of fire places with type n and they didnt crack at all however the customers use gas logs so there is not alot of heat compared to a real fire where someone packs a ton of wood in there.

I am wondering if maybe settling is causing the crack instead of the heat? I say this because most of the heat goes straight up into the open air.

What is this thing sitting on? Is there some sort of foundation or is it sitting on gravel/earth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
Pro

If you lay the firebricks the 2 1/2" way versus the 4" way it may still be a long shot that it wont have issues. I would like to see the bricks laid like actual bricks, laying down flat, 4" , put together with heatstop 50 only.

Youll have to come up with what I would imagine would be 16" cap stones. Or form and pour a colored concrete cap done pretty.
fjn (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 8,156

As the others have stated,firebrick is the way to go. That is how it got it's name. The bricks laid as stretchers + 1/2" air gap is the way to go.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 9,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirebuilders View Post
Look at the address on his invoice, drive there, tell him in person.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Look at the address on his invoice, drive there, tell him in person.

lol thats the best way and when you see him tell him that the ringer on his phone must be off or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 11:33 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Masonry / Carpentry Construction and Restoration
Rewards Points: 4,630

That design is surely to explode or quickly implode and would never pass an inspection around these parts. Put a liner in it and call it a pond

The blue herons will love it!

On a more serious note...I'd probably weld up some 11ga. hot rolled and make a box insert with drainage. You'll have to be creative with how you'll handle the top termination but a healthy, ventilated airspace would be beneficial.

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
Old 10-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #13

Trade: Massonary

Take all the pargeing off the inside then grind in a slot for a angle iron put that in with fire cement then buy a clay flew and drop er in place re grout your cap with a rich s type mix like start from sand and powder 4 hovels of sand 7 s type add what ever colour you want (mix all of this dry first btw even your colour its more even) then bag er in and tool it good as new but better
Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #14
Pro

Kniggit (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Masonry / Carpentry Construction and Restoration
Rewards Points: 4,630

That's the ticket!
Attached Images

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
JBM (10-03-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Engineer
Rewards Points: 196

I'd take it apart, build it with firebrick and make it a little smaller. Give them some fresh air intake down low too. And get 8" firebrick between the fire side and that electric to the lighting.
(239) 848-6675
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeFL For This Useful Post:
JBM (10-09-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 5,123

A stainless steel liner pot that is about 2 " smaller then the old fire pit on 1"-2" legs that would keep most of the radiant heat off the CMUs and sill stone might work with non bonfire type campfires.... Double walled even better.... think stove inside of Faux firepit...

Built in handles for dumping the out the cold ashes...
Old 10-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #18

Trade: yard Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2

we had built one for a customer and had a liner built to protect the stone work.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor firepit problems-img_0032.jpg   Outdoor firepit problems-zikko-fire-pit.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Markelmack109 For This Useful Post:
fjn (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #19

Trade: concrete flat work
Rewards Points: 68

It needs to be line with firebrick and refractory mortar. Can you add a layer to the inside? Just pasting over the current mortar is not going to help. Other idea is to turn it into a planter!

Ismael
Ismaels Construction Bellevue
Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,378

It is an old post.

This is what I tell the people that want to build a firepit in their yard:

Do you want to burn ****(like leaves and limb-fall) or do you want a yard decoration?

If you want to burn **** (and are able to by local ordinance), then use concrete pavers to make a circle at ground level, leave the native dirt and you are done.

If you want a decorative feature, then you do not want a fire-pit, you want a fire-feature. Gas is good, if not gas, then you can do it "right" or you can do it the way most people do it. "Right" is expensive, half ass is cheap and, well, half-ass. The OP did half ass. Right is firebrick lined, adequate drainage, and an understanding of the heat differential between the inner liner and the exterior cladding.

You can see my fire pit in this pic, I burn all my leaves, limb falls, documents, and what ever else is not toxic in it (and use it as a fire feature for parties).
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor firepit problems-050308newbed2.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Tscarborough; 10-25-2017 at 11:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tscarborough For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (10-26-2017)