Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

New Owens Corning Alpine Pro-Fit Veneer

7K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  tkle 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen or installed this product on the exterior of a house? I was thinking about trying it on the front of my garage, but I'm still not sold on the look. It seems like the individual owens corning veneer looks a little more natural. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Furthermore, I doubt that 98% of the population can tell fake from real while their fingers are on the stone. In my opinion, sawn real stone is no better than cast stone, and if you want to get snobbish, the only way to do "real" stone is as a minimum of 4" veneer, and realistically, for a "real" stone wall, it should be multi-wythe with a wall thickness of 8 to 12 inches.

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry if I appear snobbish.The prices I have for the Profit is $9+ square foot for the flat and $11+a foot for the corners.Pretty high considering I can get other brands for around 4-5 dollars.Eastwest is cheaper than the Profit by about a dollar per square foot and it is real.It does lack the look of a true custom job but so does phoney stone.I got phoney stone in my back room.I don't care for it but it came with the house and it looks better than drywall so it stays.Furthermore 98% of the population can't tell the difference but they'll see the difference non the less.Stucco stone is only colored plaster stuck to the wall.The colors and shapes are repeated frequently.It's fine on the front of a garage where you don't stare at it but why not kick it up a knotch and save money at the same time?

#7 ·
Tscarborough said:
Not to doubt you, but I find it hard to believe that you can put that on the wall at 5 bucks a SqFt.
If you're talking labor prices there is a little more to cutting it but not much.As far as a homeowner was concerned that shouldn't matter.It lays up fast in an open area.Use a bit of accelator .I like using the Spec mix,and for 5$ a foot I'd stay home anyway.

#8 ·
No, I meant the price of the stone, not the install. Pro fit goes for 6 bucks a SqFt here, engineered (sawn) stone goes for 12 bucks a SqFt, minimum. I get 9-12 bucks a foot for install depending upon how cut up it is.

With locally produced stucco stone there may be a lack of shapes, but I have not seen any visible pattern in Cultured stone (other than the pro fit style), even in jobs into the tens of thousands of SqFt. I do not like pro fit personally, it DOES look fake to me.

I didn't really mean you were snobbish, but I get that attitude sometimes when I am discussing the various products with clients: "(Sniff), I would prefer a REAL stone". And then I show them some boards and ask them to tell me which ones are in fact real, and they can't. Then I ask them why they are not using a dimensioned stone veneer and the answer is invariably price. For some reason they seem to think that stucco stone is a cheap alternative, but it seldom is.

I only recommend it under two circumstances:

The type of (real) rock they want to use is prohibitively expensive (usually because of freight).

The application will not allow the use of dimensional stone for whatever reason (remodel, or specific construction details that preclude a rock ledge or supporting angle).

#9 ·
Actually I am a bit snobbish when it comes to stone.I usually have to be very careful not to talk a customer out of fake stone when sometimes it is the best product for their application.Thickness is a big issue.So is cleanliness when working on existing structures.I have installed it in many multi million dollar homes as an inside veneer.People are extremely happy with it.Me?I don't like it.A lot of the cut stone products i don't like either.As far as East West I don't like their paving material.To me it looks like a bad stone job.Too many straight cuts.However I think their panels,after seeing them up close,are a viable option to pro fit for the homeowner and also feel as a professional the cost of installation offsets the cost of the panel.I generally get around 23-25$/square foot for either fake stone, the panels or quartzite.Rubble about 35$ and up to around 100$ for drystack honeyledge.Money does play a big factor in the customers choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.