Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Natural Stone Veneer over Painted CINDER Block

36K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Tommy C 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking at an existing cinderblock wall (cinder, not concrete), that is painted. Customer wants to veneer it with Natural Veneer. Do I need to take any special precautions with CINDER block, as opposed to concrete block, when attaching the lath, seeing that cinderblock is more brittle? I was thinking of attaching the lath with a nailgun, then scratchcoat.

Here's another issue...the wall is actually 2 separate walls, which are not lined up exactly. So, one part of the wall is slightly more protruded than the other. Any suggestions on how to even out the walls during the scratchcoat phase, or at least make it slightly less noticeable? The one section of the wall is about 4" protruded out from the other section.

I was thinking of attaching strips of Durrock cement backerboard to the wall where the 2 sections of wall meet. Then, attaching my lath over that, so at least the wall will gradually taper into the other section of wall. Thoughts on this??

-TC

#4 ·
Tommy, my instincts say to stick with lath. Unfortunately, I have very little experiance with actual "cinder" block, but I would assume plenty of shot nails would hold. I would also mount a 1 1/2" angle iron at the base to aid in laying the NTV. Lastly, I think I would treat the 4" return as a corner, as I don't think you can hide that much deflection in any thinstone.

#9 ·
Mortar does not adhere very good to a painted surface. The paint acts as a bondbreak and has potential to fall off, especially with thinstone, as the stone has a smooth back as well.

Make a decent attempt to remove the paint from the surface you want the masonry to bond to, and you'll create a stronger bond. That may be easier said than done, however!

Mastercraft Masonry
Professional Masonry Since 1974
Oregon / Washington

#13 ·
mesh over block wa

Most definately used lath.drilled and pinned,we use zamac pin anchours that require a 1/4"hole, washers are required to add a bit extra surface holding area.natural thinwall can be install with out boottom angle bar but for the nominal amount it costs we use it all the time.maybe the area out of line could be handled more effectively with a combination of 4" veineer and thinwall to make surface flat. hope this helps

#11 ·
Mesh with Natural Stone?

Natural Stone does not require mesh to adhere to another surface, unlike the manufactured variety. It requires a sound footing and a somewhat bondable surface, as well as fasteners such as galvanized hot dip "L" shaped wall ties to bond the stone to the concrete. These wall ties protrude way farther into the stone/mortar substrate than mesh, giving it a much stronger "grab" than just mesh alone.

It wouldn't hurt to install wire mesh, but installing stone ties to the cinderblock wall after the paint was removed would be the best option for durability.

Mastercraft Masonry
Professional Masonry Since 1974
Oregon / Washington

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.