Natural Stone Veneer Around Windows

Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Trade: Stone Masonry
Rewards Points: 10

Natural Stone Veneer Around Windows

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'm a stone mason, have had my own company for 3 years and I was in the bricklayer's union prior to that.

So I almost exclusively build flagstone patios and retaining walls however I will be veneering a house with NVSI Virginia Ledgestone in the coming weeks and I simply have no idea what to do about the windows/doors/garage door.

A don't believe angle irons will work as I have no bed joint to bury the sides in; nor do I have a place to attach the angle iron to.

The natural stone is much heavier than that stick-on stuff. Can it be supported without sitting on something? Even if it can I will be left with an ugly gap between where the windows were originally installed, the plywood that I will be attaching vapor barrier/mesh and then stone to.

The only thing I can think of is to have someone install a new metal-frame window about 2 inches past where the plywood currently is (that should leave me with a 1" ledge to lay stone on) and it will solve the problems I mentioned here.

That solves my window problem, but I also have a brick garage door opening that needs veneered. Any ideas on how to support the stone while minimizing the appearance of my scratch coat and mortar joint? (If you were to stand under the garage door and look up you would see in layers, the brick, the scratch coat/mortar joint from the stone and then the stone)

Any and all ideas for veneering around openings are appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,408

Re: Natural Stone Veneer Around Windows

why can you screw the angle through the ply into the framing?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
Well these are 2" thick stones, so they can not "rest" on an angle-iron like bricks or thicker stones would, they need to be attached to the scratch-coat behind them, installing an angle iron on the plywood would prevent me from being able to attach the stones to anything.

Even if I were to find a way to do that that would leave me with my unsightly problem at the top of the window frame.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Nouveau Eccentric

Trade: masonry/hardscaping
Rewards Points: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
And for the garage door, there must be an iron or beam in place for the brick, add a peice of flat iron, if you think you need it. Then parget the brick and mortar joint jambs.

D.

fb
Old 06-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D. View Post
And for the garage door, there must be an iron or beam in place for the brick, add a peice of flat iron, if you think you need it. Then parget the brick and mortar joint jambs.

D.
I like this idea for the garage door, thanks.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Nouveau Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoricme View Post
Well these are 2" thick stones, so they can not "rest" on an angle-iron like bricks or thicker stones would, they need to be attached to the scratch-coat behind them, installing an angle iron on the plywood would prevent me from being able to attach the stones to anything.

Even if I were to find a way to do that that would leave me with my unsightly problem at the top of the window frame.
Put the iron up first then wire over it.
Why can't the 2" stones rest on the iron?

D.

fb
Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D. View Post
Put the iron up first then wire over it.
Why can't the 2" stones rest on the iron?

D.
Even if I were to do that the top of the window frame would have exposed plywood. That is in no way an acceptable state to leave her window frame in.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Nouveau Eccentric

Put the iron up first, , either all around the window or just on top with wood for the rest. Then ply or cut ply short, V.B. X 2, wire, scratch, stone, paint jambs, done.

Oh yeah, get paid.

D.

fb
The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond D. For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 3,990

Make some brick mould out of 2x2 then cap it with aluminum. Use 2x2 angle iron for above windows if you want to. but if the stone can stick on the wall it can stick on the wall across openings and again the brick mould will cover the transition between scratch and stone (and it will give some temporary support until the mortar cures up a bit)
The Following User Says Thank You to dom-mas For This Useful Post:
stacker (06-13-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #10

Trade: Masonry/Concrete/Tile

Superglue?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 564

It's pretty simple really, if you want the natural thin veneer to look like real stonework, you need to order corners and return them back into the windows & doors somehow...........

One word of caution though: Are you sure the angle irons currently over the garage doors can handle the additional load of the thin veneer???
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: bricklayer/stonemason
Rewards Points: 312

l just throw my angle iron on top of the brick mold over the garage and lagbolt the crap outa it throw my paper,flashing and wire up and have at it..same with windows..if theres returns get cut corners..pretty basic stuff for a veneer...wire cement and nails hold it up pretty good...angle iron is nothing but insurance where veneer is concerned,,,thinking about it cant remember useing it for any veneers...generaly brickmolding is all l need and wire ect carrys wieght...only time l use iron is for brick,block,real stone

after rereading to see what the heck lm missin here see that theres no brickmolding on the garage by sounds of it...would get some...pics would be nice for clear picture of whats up

2in natural vener...no angle iron..

Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Pro

well i would think what should NOT be recommended was pushing the windows out to provide a ledge like the op stated,that would be a flashing nightmare imo
Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #14

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

These are very new problems to me. Other than some basic flashing when I was in the bricklayers union we had absolutely nothing to do with windows. Everything was also brand new construction; so of course there would be appropriate ledges, and the windows would be where they needed to be to be aesthetically pleasing to begin with.

Since my time in the union I have just been a stone retaining wall and flagstone guy. It would be a big thing for my company if I can start stoning houses. That said, it would be pretty ****ed up to stone someone's house without knowing how to do it. I'm comfortable with the stone itself, it is just all these peripheral problems I haven't run into before.

As a previous poster said, I do need to get some pictures to you guys before you can give proper advice.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,990

get a carpenter buddy out there (or do it yourself) to wrap the windows and doors in 2x2. Nothing tough about that. If they can come back later and case and caulk them, even better. (if you have access to a brake there's nothing tough about casing them either)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dom-mas For This Useful Post:
Mudhere (06-17-2012), stacker (06-13-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Pro

go pvc trim,take the wrapping and maybe painting out completely,use off the shelf drip caps if needed
stacker (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 518

if you are laying this like artificial stone,with lath.then i see no problem with going over windows and doors.
i agree with dom-mas on this.a simple 2x2 wrapped with aluminum will work.you are working with a product that weighs in about 11-13 to a sq ft.it is self supporting when using lath.there is no need for angle iron,that is overkill and an unneeded expense.all you need to do is extend the window and door trim to set out far enough to catch the rock and hide the transition from lath to stone.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #18

Trade: Masonry/Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEPRO View Post
Superglue?