Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Lick and stick average time frame.

42K views 137 replies 32 participants last post by  stonebuilder 
#1 ·
Ok so I have been called a mad man today. Twice.

First time by General Contractor and second time by some trash that called himself cultured stone installer(One of those who can't spend 50$ on trowel so he just dips stone into mortar pan).

Reason this happened is because I said with full confidence that on straight run I can put up 175-200 sq ft of cultured stone a day by myself(helper to bring the mortar).

I actually skimmed through posts and people say 75-150 ish...really that little?

Am I misunderstanding something here? How much can you do in 8 hour shift?

Last one I did I put up 212 sq ft in 10 hour shift. When I saw that yoyo "installer" (nice new word for the idiots) open his mouth I turned away and walked. Plenty more money out there.

#3 · (Edited)
<internet response>
shoot.....500 square feet a day hopping on one leg. I can in fact throw them in from about about 5' from the wall. Just takes practice is all.
</internet response>

It surely depends on what style "adhered veneer" you use. For us it seems like all our licker and sticker projects are slower technical work so I have no idea what we do. Here was our last project and it was slow.

Attachments

#5 ·
<internet response>
shoot.....500 square feet a day hopping on one leg. I can in fact throw them in from about about 5' from the wall. Just takes practice is all.
</internet response>

It surely depends on what style "adhered veneer" you use. For us it seems like all our licker and sticker projects are slower technical work so I have no idea what we do. Here was our last project and it was slow.
Lukachiki its beautiful. Great job as always.

And i do agree on that it depends on type of stone, amount of cuts and etc.

Key word in my statement was straight run. I find that with veneers your biggest advantages are:

1. If veneer has been created in geometric shapes (rectanglular and etc) with wet stack job goes easy as long as you start from top and got enough spacers premade.
2. If veneer was created to match shapes of natural stone. You get advantage of creating your own unique look.

Only veneers I find hard to install are ones where you get those same above mentioned natural stone shaped veneers to be laid in dry stack.
Those go slow with me all the time.

#9 ·
The last cultured stone job I bid, which was a few weeks ago, I got outbid by two women.

I haven't been by the job yet, but I heard they were doing a nice job.

It was a typical HO hatchet job, they bought the cheapest stone from Menards and asked for a labor only price.

I was/am swamped and bid it at the high end. I figured they had someone else in mind anyway so I was not aggressive at all.

25 miles from home also, but when I get there I will take a pic or two.

#12 ·
Laying stone and laying brick/block are two very different things and a proficiency in one does not indicate a talent in both (although many masons can do both well).

As a rule when asked to recommend a mason to do thin stone, I recommend stucco guys, not masons, but if the thin stone is real stone cut for adhered veneer application or the job is cut up and/or highly detailed, I recommend a stone mason.

200 Sqft a day of jointed faux stone sounds pretty high to me. Maybe something like stacked stone by Eldorado or Pro-fit by Cultured stone, but 200 Sq foot stuck and tucked in 10 hours is pretty damn fast.

#13 ·
200 Sqft a day of jointed faux stone sounds pretty high to me. Maybe something like stacked stone by Eldorado or Pro-fit by Cultured stone, but 200 Sq foot stuck and tucked in 10 hours is pretty damn fast.
Dry stack I do two hundred a day.

Wet stack I put it up in one day and tuck next day.

I actually should post pictures of upcoming...around 1000 sq ft,taking on it with helper.

Bailing out my reg. customer who owns bigger masonry company.

#19 ·
Heres what I will do. I start on new project on wednesday(Scaffolding guys need to set everything up). I will keep this thread updated.
Its 1245 sq ft. By my account I should be in and out in 7-10 days. Depending if I run into problem.

#22 ·
[
200 Sqft a day of jointed faux stone sounds pretty high to me. Maybe something like stacked stone by Eldorado or Pro-fit by Cultured stone, but 200 Sq foot stuck and tucked in 10 hours is pretty damn fast.[/QUOTE]

I find that even Pro-Fit takes time to get it right because the pieces vary in height a little bit, some are crooked, and the ends don't usually meet tight. I end up using a grinder a lot and checking level on almost every piece. I have seen jobs where these have gotten away from somebody and got crooked and it jumps right out at you.

Maybe it is just me but I get slower as I get older because I keep getting fussier about how things look. It is not such a good way to make money and most people probably don't know the difference but I just can't help it.

#23 ·
[

Maybe it is just me but I get slower as I get older because I keep getting fussier about how things look. It is not such a good way to make money and most people probably don't know the difference but I just can't help it.
Dear sir. I pride in my work :).

I can suggest you using string line so next time you don't need to screw around with level.

And wet-saw instead of grinder does miracles.

#24 ·
i have laid as much as 400 sq ft in one day.that is,installed,grouted and finished,but i also had 2 helpers.i applied the mud,stone and grouted.they kept me in stone,mud and finished the joints.now,i couldnt do that everyday,but on average,i can install in an 8 hour day,150-200 ft of stone,with a helper.
right now i am working on a thin stone installation.i am doing this with no help.meaning i am installing lath,building scaffold,stocking the wall,mixing mud....ect,and installing on average 50-75 ft in 6 hour day.not the best,but im making money.

#25 ·
Wow this thread is fun! I like real stone fake stone brick block glass stuucco I don't care what I am installing I am a Mason by trade I take pride in the sills I have developed and I make every job look good regardless of what it is.

cultured stone should not be pointed the same day as install it shrinks and cracks.

200 sqft a day is on the high end unless its a big open wall with no corners and its a ledge type stone.

Then again I am a lot faster laying pavers then most guys in the area and slower with dry laid stone because I am picky.

In the end quality from me to you is going to have different standards.

#28 ·
i dont see where your coming from on not being grouted the same day.i have installed it for over 30 years and have always grouted and finished the same day.the only time i have a problem is if i push it and try to strike my joints to fast.
and like you i dont care what you put in front of me,if you can lay it with cement ill do my best to get it done and do it right.

laying 'em right the first time is what i go by.:thumbup:

#34 ·
About 100 for me, pattern is a huge factor though. Nice big squares with a joint maybe 125 or more a day (I work alone almost all the time) but a crappy pattern drystacked and I might only get 50 ft a day.

I try to make it a point to open a few boxes of stone before throwing a price out.

And truthfully, I don't really enjoy doing it very much so that affects my pace as well. I have a friend that loves it and almost always does more than I do in the same work day.

#41 ·
Sorry for no update,guys.

It is getting to -7 C(19.4 F) around here with windchill around -14 C (6.8F) so we were waiting on heating equipment and insulated tarps.

They also change where they want stone at,so I had to wait for new prints and build ups they are doing on some of the walls.

Its roughly 1040 sq ft,plenty of straight run,hope to get wire on today and get everything tarped up and good to go for scratch coat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.