Larger Opening In Cmu Wall - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Larger Opening In Cmu Wall

Old 12-13-2017, 09:31 PM   #1

Trade: masonry

Larger Opening In Cmu Wall

Hi everyone. I have started a job for a contractor and looking for a bit of advice please excuse my ignorance. Im still a newer journeyman and have mostly worked for someone else or my own smaller jobs. Part of the job entails making a 12' high by 10' wide garage door opening where a 8'x 8' opening exists. It ties into 2 pilasters. I have cut a opening next to the pilaster that has to be removed and built another one at 10'. There are 6 courses of block over the opening including the top course which is a bond beam. I was hoping there were vertical steel grouted over the opening tied into the top bondbeam but there are none. I'm wondering if I can cut a slot the same depth as a bond beam from the existing pilaster (with a epoxied dowel) into my new pilaster that I have left open to receive 2 15 rebars and grout and patch it. Not worried about it being patched up just if it's a dumb idea to cut the sidewall out of 12 feet of a unreinforced cmu wall lol. Thank you.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,015

Re: Larger Opening In Cmu Wall

If you can patch the Work all you want, cut/ drill Five 2.5" holes every 16" through the wall in about 1/2" higher then where the top of the Lintel, a 8" nominal H beam @ 15 lbs a foot with a 1/4" X 7" X 10' plate stitch welded to the 'bottom' will go.

Insert some heavy duty schedule 80, 2" pipe x 18"+('Needles') through the holes, install dead legs under both sides, demo and install new lintel, lay your soaps, patch and paint, cash the check, PAY your GST..

Around here, in flyover land, a Journeyman whatever has had over 8,000 verified hours working in the trade UNDER the supervision and teaching by at least one qualified J-man.....

I'd strongly suggest a couple hours a week in a library/InterNet and finding a mentor/ Rabbi to further your Masonry skills and Knowledge.

Demoing an opening without a clue on a safe method could get someone hurt badly and maimed for a lifetime.

Shame on the cheapskate that hired you.

Advertisement

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 12-14-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,410

Here is 2 9x10 openings that I turned into 12x12s about a month ago... using shoring scaffolding to support the wall above

This one was complicated due to the 8 inch pier and cold joint that the existing wall was sitting on, it wasn’t really tied into the other wall so the first shore was placed close to the corner because it worried me. Bad design and dangerous if a forklift hit that little pier holding the whole wall up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Windycity; 12-14-2017 at 11:08 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
fjn (12-15-2017), Fouthgeneration (12-15-2017), overanalyze (12-15-2017), Rio (12-15-2017), superseal (12-15-2017), Tscarborough (12-17-2017)

Old 12-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 9,604

Very well done Windy !
Old 12-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,634

Windy got it right...shoring jacks make it easy peasy!
Attached Thumbnails
larger opening in cmu wall-img_0664.jpg   larger opening in cmu wall-img_0604.jpg   larger opening in cmu wall-img_0626.jpg   larger opening in cmu wall-img_0616.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
fjn (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #6

Trade: masonry

Thanks guys exactly what I ended up doing. Fourth generation I have well over 8000 hours in the trade just have never made an opening in block this large before hence me asking. Thanks

Advertisement