Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Have you heard this one?

16K views 123 replies 36 participants last post by  Joasis 
#1 ·
I went to look at a bath remodel the other day, it was a big master bath with a walk-in-closet and a seperate toilet room. The customer said she wanted to do all new tile including the walk-in, but that she heard from another contractor not to put tile in the walk-in because it would create "moisture problems" The house was built with carpet in the walk-in.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I appreciate your advice.

#2 ·
I went to look at a bath remodel the other day, it was a big master bath with a walk-in-closet and a seperate toilet room. The customer said she wanted to do all new tile including the walk-in, but that she heard from another contractor not to put tile in the walk-in because it would create "moisture problems" The house was built with carpet in the walk-in.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I appreciate your advice.
In Florida you are required to be licensed for remodeling and tile work, SK Custom Carpentry is not listed with the DBPR license look up website.

My advice is to get properly licensed, before doing these types of jobs.

#16 ·
I don't know the license lookup, but he is Incorporated in the State of Florida, from the location he says.

Ed

Florida Limited Liability CompanySK CUSTOM CARPENTRY LLCFiling InformationDocument NumberL06000052528FEI Number020776677

#3 ·
Look... I don't know why or where you looked my company info up but I ASSURE YOU SIR I AM DEFINATELY licensed and insured in Broward County. THANK YOU

I guess you guys are trying to stop home owners or handymen from comming in here. I can understand that.

It's just a question, does anyone else have any real advice?

Thanks

#4 ·
Look... I don't know why or where you looked my company info up but I ASSURE YOU SIR I AM DEFINATELY licensed and insured in Broward County. THANK YOU

I guess you guys are trying to stop home owners or handymen from comming in here. I can understand that.

It's just a question, does anyone else have any real advice?

Thanks
The State of Florida maintains a data base of all Certified (State) and Registered (County) licenses, your company name did not come up in a search here https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl11.asp .

#8 ·
bwalley, first thanks for letting me know about that. I don't know why my company isn't listed there. I wrote myfloridalicense an email to find out. Second contractortalk won't let me post a link to th site but you can see my license info at https: // dpep.broward.org/bcs/default.asp?PossePresentationID=1550000 (without the spaces) I know what your going to say, I'm still not licensed to do tile. But I never said I was doing the tile work. If it makes you feel any better I also work with Cosgrove Custom Carpentry Inc. , he's on your list. And If I do the job I only do the phases I'm licensed to do.

So again I'll say thak you for bringing this site to my attention. I was happy when I found contractortalk and I can appreciate what you are doing. I hope I can clear this up and get listed on myfloridalicense.

In the mean time I'd still love to hear some advice on the original question. Isn't that the point of sites like these to help people that have questions.

No matter if your licensed in a certain phase of construction, don't you still have questions or want to learn about other trades?

I appreciate any advice.

Man I just wasted an hour of my life trying to proove I have a license that I worked hard to get and I am proud to have.

I live in south florida where unlicensed contractors run rampant and drive prices down and steel work from licensed contractors. Believe me I'm against unlicensed contractors and those who use them. Thats why I took the step at 28 to go get licensed. I have made a decent living my first 3 years in business and I have made a lot of people happy with the work I do for them.

Now It's 8:00 and I'm going to go work on a bid. Thanks to anyone who has any input on the original question.:thumbsup:

#10 ·
i have installed tile in walk ins and never had problem with moisture before.
my question here is why is bwalley so concerned about your license?could it be you under bid him on some projects?i could care less if he is licensed or not,if he has a problem and i can help ill help with what i can.
life is to short to piss and moan about the little things.

#11 ·
For a lot of guys and companies the unlicensed contractors are really starting to be a big concern.

During the boom it was not to bad because work was plentiful.

But now that it has slowed in a lot of areas. They are taking a lot of work away for licensed guys. It is almost an epidemic in parts of Maryland. and Some trades in DC they rule.

Not saying its right or wrong just saying why it is of major concern lately

#18 ·
he's a registered user of the site just like you bwally and can ask any question he wants if you dont want to answer it dont.

seems like your license search has been wrong quite abit lately
You are the one who is wrong.:rolleyes:

A finish carpenter's license like this guy has does not allow you to do anything other than finish carpentry, tile and bathroom remodels is not covered by his license.

On the other post, the guy posted a non existant Certified Building Contractors License number, so it appears he is not licensed either.

I never said they couldn't post here, I said they are required by Florida law to be properly licensed.

#27 ·
When they list the name of their company in their profile it makes it very easy to look up.

I could care less what my post count is, one thing that clues me into people being unlicensed is the stupid questions they ask.

Being licensed is proving you have the experience and knowledge necessary to be a competent contractor, yes there are licensed contractors that do half assed work, but there are avenues of getting the issues straightened out, either by making a claim in their bond or by making a complaint to the CILB.

Each license I have, I have to have a seperate Bond, even though they are all my licenses.

What I think is great is a person or company can hire an unlicensed person, have them do work for them, refuse to pay and the unlicensed person cannot sue or lien the client.

#31 ·
I'm not comfortable with the way "dooshbag" has been spelled on this forum.

I should probably state up front that I once won a spelling bee when I spelled the word "fluorescent". That was in the sixth or seventh grade, but I'm still quite proud of it.

You might think one should spell "dooshbag" like "Duschbag". Alas, this would be a bag one takes with him or herself to the shower.

For the proper spelling, we need to turn to our French friends. I think it is "Douche" which might be the verb used to describe the cleansing of the vagina with some (vinegar & water) solution. Others may use a shot of Tequilla, but that is purely a regional practice.

And the "bag" must be the aspirator part of the deal.

So to set the record straight, the proper spelling should be "douche bag" or "douchebag". I would prefer to see it separated.

Does the state of Florida require a license to perform such a procedure?

#35 · (Edited)
I'm not comfortable with the way "dooshbag" has been spelled on this forum.

I should probably state up front that I once won a spelling bee when I spelled the word "fluorescent". That was in the sixth or seventh grade, but I'm still quite proud of it.

You might think one should spell "dooshbag" like "Duschbag". Alas, this would be a bag one takes with him or herself to the shower.

For the proper spelling, we need to turn to our French friends. I think it is "Douche" which might be the verb used to describe the cleansing of the vagina with some (vinegar & water) solution. Others may use a shot of Tequilla, but that is purely a regional practice.

And the "bag" must be the aspirator part of the deal.

So to set the record straight, the proper spelling should be "douche bag" or "douchebag". I would prefer to see it separated.

Does the state of Florida require a license to perform such a procedure?

Douche means simply to cleanse as in "Shower".

#45 ·
ROFLMFAO!

again bwally you are totally missing the point.no one gives a rat's arse about how many licenses you have.and yes you are right i have no idea what is involved in div I and div II.and whats more i wont lose any sleep worrying about it tonite in bed.
most time licensing is a glorified way for a state to put money in their pockets by charging 300.00 for a piece of paper with fancy writing.

"Masonry was covered extensively on my division 1 license examination"
does that make you a mason?
i agree with six string,stay out of the masonry forum and stick with what your profession is.
hell i have been in and around construction all my life.there is very little i cant do when it comes to building.do i know enough to give advice in the plumbing forum?no do i know enough about framing a house to give advice to a carpenter?no.
but i do know masonry work,and thats why i dont offer advice,outside my area of expertise.

#46 · (Edited)
we here in NOR_CAL have seen built and build ourselfs many combo bath walk in closets with tile in both yes if you have the walk in closet open you may get a bit of moisture in the closet but the a/c unit is a big dehumidifier and pulls moisture out rapidly . If it is a concern a closet dehumidifier can be installed to insure both spaces remain dry.

#47 ·
Let's spice this up guys, first of all Florida has the most extensive and stupid code book and requirements; second, licensing, like Staker said , is just a scam and it does not make anybody qualified or skilled in the trade, it just differentiate the ones that pay the dues and the ones that don't, nothing to do with quality and proficiency; third, I hate people that brag about being amongst the best at this and that and more, what the f... is a licensed mason doing on the heating and cooling trade, I truly don't believe it, masons take pride on their work and almost never touch anything else , you won't find mason doing a roof or hanging cabinets for a living, it just won't happen; so really, what kind of license did they sell you, and were did you buy it bwalley, what kind of BS is Certified Building and A/C Contractor, it sounds more like a dressed up title and really don't say much; please land.
Earth calling to bwalley , Earth calling to bwalley

#51 ·
Simmer down boys, this thread is about moisture in a closet due to tile floors, not itty bitty egos and such.

I can't figure how tile makes a difference. Unless someone's counting on carpet to soak up moisture or something. Doesn't make any sense to me.:001_unsure:

#54 ·
Simmer down boys, this thread is about moisture in a closet due to tile floors, not itty bitty egos and such.

I can't figure how tile makes a difference. Unless someone's counting on carpet to soak up moisture or something. Doesn't make any sense to me.:001_unsure:
The guy asking the question is a Trim carpenter, he has a client that wants to install tile in a WIC in the bathroom, not sure why he posted it in the masonry forum, it should have been put in the flooring section.

The guy may be a great trim carpenter, and he did take the steps to get properly licensed in that trade:thumbsup: but based on his question about moisture it shows he is not qualified to do this type of work.

He is not licensed to do this type of work.

Apparently there are many states that do not require licenses for this or other types of work, but Florida does.

#52 ·
Engineers are smart too!! Just ask em. They can pass a test too. Who gives a :censored:!!!! I usually don't post up about this kinda crap, but who cares if you have 20 different licenses, all it proves is you studied a
F$c&i*g book. Just because you have a license, doesn't make you a good contractor, or even a decent one. I've seen plenty of so called licensed contractors doing **** work!! So before you pass judgement on someone for asking a question, no matter how trivial you may think it is, this is a forum for that and if you can not contribute, then SHUT THE F:censored: UP!!! Guys like you make me sick!

I like this board, for the most part there is alot of good info on here, its a shame there are these Internet keyboard thugs like you that like to start sh%t with everyone on here. Thats the problem with todays society, no one knows when to shut up and mind their own :censored:business.

#57 · (Edited)
The way I see it bwally is proud of his licenses, he's obviously worked hard to attain them and that can be respected. Also the point of unlicensed contractors is a valid one. Itseems that he sells his business by pushing the fact that he is licensed, idk I've never seen his work or even set foot in his state, but I'd rather let my reputation preceed me andsell the quality of my work than brag about the fact that i have a license to cover most any trade... whats that they say... jack of all, master of none... let him vent, sounds tome like he might just be compensating for something anyway. :shifty:

#60 ·
i agree 100 percent.i let my customers do by talking for me.i dont have to convince anyone im good at what i do.my work does that for me.
and bwally may be that good also,he might be the best in his state.

"It appears that anyone in WI can be a Mason or do counter tops without being licensed, I guess that is good thing for the hacks."
you might not have came right out and called six a hack,but you sure implied it.

#61 ·
HA! Thanks Stacker!

Im not even going to give this dipsh*t the time of day after this post. I think he is just upset that he worked so hard getting his 'licenses' and that we dont need them that he is a bit envious.

I could honestly care less if you call me a hack ballsy. I have posted numerous pictures of masonrywork I've done including brick and stone. I even have a link to my website with pictues of countertops I've done.

Have you posted any picture of anything you've done? I havent seen any, and I dont see any under your public profile. Hmmm.. I wont hold my breath waiting for some neither.

And as far as a licensed is concerned, who gives a rats ass. Its a piece of paper. Just like a college degree. A piece of paper you could wipe your smug, conceited anus with. I've seen the product of colleges, and I can assure you sir, that I am more literate, intellectual, and trainable than the majority of them.

Yours Truly,

#65 ·
the op never said he had a client,never said he was doing the job,never said he had a contract.He simply asked a question.Answer it or dont.Again he dosnt have to be licenced to post here,at least i didnt see that in the rules.Icould see if you were driving down the street and saw a job being done by an unlicenced contractor,but this was a post on the internet.You may think it was a stupid question but others may not.

If you were a man you could pm or email all these contractors and ask them about thier licence if you want to,would probably not take much more time as it does to look up thier lic.no.Instead of calling them out in public hiding behind your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.