Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

garage door opening question

21K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ScipioAfricanus 
#1 ·
Good afternoon,
My trade is carpentry and remodeling so concrete rough openings are not my baliwick...maybe one of you can advise me on this....
I am building a garage with an 18' door. I understand the finished opening for the door itself is 18' but what is the masonry opening for framing in the opening.
This is a concrete footer/foundation. I am planning to have the foundation wall stop 3" from the fin. size opening, so my rough concrete opening would work out to be 18'6"?
This allows me double the room needed for framing the sides. Am I oversizing the concrete opening at the door?
thanks for the info....Joe.

#5 ·
I've put in a lot of garage doors and it always seems to work better to have two studs beside the concrete. Gives more room to attach track brackets and electric eye brackets. It's not absolutely necessary to do it this way but personally I like two studs better than one.

#8 ·
Not sure where witness protection
is keeping Pennyroyal's, but here
in frost country, we run the footing
all the way across the opening.
Either rest the slab on the block
or turn the slab down to the footer.
Keeps the slab from heaving up
in the center of the opening.

#9 ·
I've done them anywhere from 18'1" to 18' 4 1/2" (for your application.) In my experience, it really depends on the framer's preference, & I make sure to ask them on every job, unless stated on the print. I've found every framer seems to have a different way they want the opening.

#11 ·
What do your plans say? O.K. obviously you are in one of those places that does not require plans for building, but really, without knowing how the opening is designed and the surrounding footings, walls, grade beams(?) are any we can say here is just a lot of palaver and not necessarily what is right for your situation.

I knkow this is not a help but it does increase my post count. (why that is important I don't really know)

Andy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.