Frostwall Height And Basement Slab Floor

Old 02-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 8

Frostwall Height And Basement Slab Floor

Hello All,

I hope this is the right place for this. We recently poured the foundation walls for a new house in Massachusetts (tough weather for it, I know). The plans called for the frost wall for the walkout basement to extend to a height of 4" above the footings for the main foundation walls so that when we poured the 4" concrete basement floor, the top of the frost wall would be flush with the basement floor. Instead, the concrete subcontractor poured the frost-wall for the walkout basement to the same grade as the top of the footings of the rest of the foundation walls.

Our plan is to pour the concrete floor after the house has been framed. But, given the height of the frost-wall, we worry about pouring concrete against the pressure-treated wood that would be used during the framing. Does anyone have experience in a situation like this? Is there a way to frame the house before pouring the slab given the height of the wall?

I hope this makes sense. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by swayland; 02-12-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Clarify

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 764

Re: Frostwall Height And Basement Slab Floor

I would nail a treated 2x4 on edge under the bottom plate. In the spring when they pour the floor, concrete will still be able to get under and support the bottom plate.

Home Designer Series Software
Old 02-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 416

Did the contract with the concrete sub specify that they would build to the plans?
Old 02-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 8

Thanks for the responses. That's potential solution nailing a 2x4 on edge to give the extra height. The only thing I worry about is then the sill won't fully be anchored to the foundation?

Yes, the concrete contractor's contract included that the work should be done to the plans and scope of work. Unfortunately, his schedule is such that it could be a couple of days before he is able to resolve the discrepancy. This obviously creates delays and pisses off our framer--so we are exploring work-around options. But, maybe we are better off waiting and doing it right...
Old 02-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #5
Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,102

What's preventing you from laying 4-inch block.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (02-16-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 2,098

I’d do a triple PT sole/sill plate (4-1/2”) on the walk out wall. Bill the foundation guy for extra materials and labor.

Tack some house wrap or felt about a foot or so high to the inside of the studs so you can score it and peel it off after the floor is poured so you (or your drywall guy) don’t have to spend hours scraping the chunks of concrete off the studs.

Last edited by Big Johnson; 02-13-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 3,714

This is a contractor forum not a homeowner forum . Sorry.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,831

Frame the walk out wall like the kerb footing was poured, on the 4 1/8" tall blocks, screw a temporary 2" X 12" on the outside hanging down 4" the whole length of the bo-bo, pour the concrete, when set remove the 4" block patch with concrete mix to keep rats and mice out....

Drill in 8-10" long expansion anchors 4' over center or as required by BI through sole plate.

"we" is a responsibility avoidance word, like in Weasel....

I might be an Idiot, but I know things that You don't: Please wait till after you get my know-how to insult me....