Eldorado Vs Owens Corning

Old 10-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Mason
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via AIM to Tommy C

Eldorado Vs Owens Corning

I just came across ElDorado's website, and all I can say is...wow!

Either they have excellent photographers, or their products really look a lot like real stone - very natural looking, and lots of cool designs!

What type of manufactured stone do you guys use? I've been using Owens Corning Cultured, but this Eldorado stuff looks great! How is it in price compared to Owens Corning?

Also, anybody have any experience with the thin natural stone veneer that has come out recently? It's supposed to be lightweight...how much does that stuff cost per square foot?

-T

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,358

Re: Eldorado Vs Owens Corning

Eldorado has a better photographer; pricing should be the same, and the thin natural stone can be higher or lower, depending upon the stone and your location.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: general building and masonry
Rewards Points: 500

I think Eldorado is a bit rougher in the manufacturer.Corning slightly easier to install.When customers pick the stone,more often then not they pick Eldorado.When they see the price difference,they always pick it.When I pick the stone I pick it.It's cost effective and when the project is completed I think it has the most natural look.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: mason contractor
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to laybrick Send a message via Yahoo to laybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkle View Post
I think Eldorado is a bit rougher in the manufacturer.Corning slightly easier to install.When customers pick the stone,more often then not they pick Eldorado.When they see the price difference,they always pick it.When I pick the stone I pick it.It's cost effective and when the project is completed I think it has the most natural look.
couldn't have said it more exact.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: mason contractor
Send a message via AIM to laybrick Send a message via Yahoo to laybrick

Eldorado stone is a rare treat to lay compared to cheaper brands like centurion stone (PITA). Been showing customers a house I did with Kodiak Mountain redi stack ledge stone. I was nervous when I found out how cheap it was, thought it was gonna be a PITA to lay, but it was surpriseingly nice. Comes in 4 inch to about 4 3/16 inch high & from about 3 1/2 inch to about 2 feet lengths with individual widths of ledge incorporated into each piece. looks really impressive. Also laid some ledge (individual pieces) of the same brand on a house. Did a fieldstone fireplace inside that house (same brand) with black mortar joints & poured a black hearth. Looks awsome! Doing a house now with the same redi stack that is 2,307 sq. feet. Bottom line, nice stone - nice price
Old 10-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 520

in 1977 my dad bought a franchise for original rock replicas,out of denver.we made two types of stone,cobblestone and fieldstone.in 1999 i sold my franchise to my brother in law,and he continues to make stone today,altho he only makes fieldstone.now i might be a little biased,but i feel ORR is looks closer to natural stone than either eldorado or o/c.
from the highway at 65 mph they both look good,but up close,they look fake.
my bro-in-law gets 3.50 a foot,while they both get closer to 7.00.i believe alot of it has to do with the molds and the way the color the stone.

http://www.originalrockreplicas.com/index.html
Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #7
Pro

I'm paying 4.80/ft' for Eldorado.There are some local manufacturers that produce nice stone,but they're a little harder to deal with.ED and Corning have the websites so the customer can pick easily.
It all looks fake.Even real stone if done too perfect can look fake.The homeowners love it though.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Mason
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via AIM to Tommy C

I'm paying about $10 a square foot in NJ for Owens Corning. How much would I pay, approximately, for Eldorado here?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #9

Trade: Dry wall Hanger taper and texture
Rewards Points: 75

In Washington State, I just paid $7.64 per square foot for Owens and thatís street price.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Bricklayer / contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybrick View Post
Eldorado stone is a rare treat to lay compared to cheaper brands like centurion stone (PITA). Been showing customers a house I did with Kodiak Mountain redi stack ledge stone. I was nervous when I found out how cheap it was, thought it was gonna be a PITA to lay, but it was surpriseingly nice. Comes in 4 inch to about 4 3/16 inch high & from about 3 1/2 inch to about 2 feet lengths with individual widths of ledge incorporated into each piece. looks really impressive. Also laid some ledge (individual pieces) of the same brand on a house. Did a fieldstone fireplace inside that house (same brand) with black mortar joints & poured a black hearth. Looks awsome! Doing a house now with the same redi stack that is 2,307 sq. feet. Bottom line, nice stone - nice price

How about some pics?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidejobs View Post
In Washington State, I just paid $7.64 per square foot for Owens and thatís street price.
I'm paying close to the same for Corning.The price difference must be in shipping.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,358

I sell Owens for 5.15 to 8.00, and Eldo for 4.80 to 7.50, based upon stone type and (mainly) quantity.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #13

Trade: masonry and general construction

I like owens better because the color is all the way through. The last time i used eldorado you see the cement color is a piece chips. Now I offer buechel as an upcharge. Real stone cut like manufactured stone. No footing required
Old 10-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiMan2500HD View Post
I like owens better because the color is all the way through. The last time i used eldorado you see the cement color is a piece chips. Now I offer buechel as an upcharge. Real stone cut like manufactured stone. No footing required
that is a misconception.the only color that is all the way thru is the base color.the colors on the face are only on the surface of the stone.
when they make the stone,they will mix the cement to a certain color,lets say a cream base.to color the face of the stone,they add a powdered color and sometime a liquid color to the mold.then the cream based cement is poured into the mold.i dont know how owens do their colors,but when we made stone,our face colors,were mixed with portland cement and silica sand,to ensure they would adheer to the stone and not rub off.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #15

all I can say is that I have noticed that if the owens chips it is far less noticeable that with the eldorado
Old 10-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #16

Trade: Dry wall Hanger taper and texture

Are there usually a lot of chips on the face of Owens? I just unloaded 70 square feet and about 80% had some sort of flaw
Old 10-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #17

no..it really depends on how they are handled. The handipaks usually have the most problems because they get thrown around a lot
Old 10-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Supply

Just speaking on feedback from my customers El dorado is the closest in quality to OC cultured. The price helps some builders decide too. In my market I have noticed quite a bit of the brand "environmental stoneworks" some of which looks just horrid. Also I agree that paying $10 a sq/ft for OC is too much, maybe the pro-fit. $6-$8 is more like it on most of them. Again in my market the natural stone veneer is very popular. The price ranges from $8-$15 per sq/ft depends on the specifics, and corners can be $20 + per lineal ft.