Does Fireplace Opening In Block Wall Opening Need Support?

Old 02-28-2006, 01:32 AM   #1

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Does Fireplace Opening In Block Wall Opening Need Support?

Hello, everyone! My name is Shane, this will be my first post, and hopefully someone may have a few ideas they can throw at me about this.

Here is the question????

I'm looking to put a 36" fireplace through a 12" block exterior wall, and there is an existing block fireplace pit. From the exterior wall the pit extends out 18" x 5' wide and 5' deep, that was put in when the house was built but has since sat empty. So I need to build a dog house over it. PS this is a gas fireplace! The exterior block wall is 30' long and I will be knocking out block for the opening 7' from one end of the wall. No other load points directly above the fireplace opening. This is a two story home. Once I bust out the block there will be 6 courses of block above the new opening which will be 3' wide by 3' high. Do I need to use and steel plate or I-beam etc. to carry the load above the fireplace opening, or do I take out one more course of brick and put in 2x8 header, or is the opening small enough that I can just box in the framing for the fireplace and be done with it? Should the framing of the fireplace in the block wall be treated lumber? Lastly, when framing would be complete there will be 1/2" gap to each side of the fireplace. Will this void need to insulated or sealed? If so what material should be used? Remember the rear of the fireplace will then be in an enclosed pit, so not sure if the 1/2" void needs to be filled.

A heating and cooling co. will be installing the fireplace, gas line, and B-vent all I'm doing is knocking out the block and framing the opening.

Hope I have full explained the situation, if there is any other information needed please, ask me!

Thank you ALL in advance, Shane!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeler
Rewards Points: 526

Re: Does Fireplace Opening In Block Wall Opening Need Support?

And no one had anything to say about this? After all this time?

Advertisement

-john5mt
Old 11-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

speechless

Old 11-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 3,926

Maybe the house caved in.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre

Hopefully he found one of those new structural gas fireplaces that they sell at HD.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJKarl View Post
Maybe the house caved in.
LMAO

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:31 AM   #7

Natural-vent (also called top-vent or B-vent) units use the natural buoyancy of hot air to exhaust burned gases, as with a conventional chimney. These inserts take in combustion air from inside the home and exhaust combustion gases outside it. Natural-vent units generally cost less than direct-vent units but can sometimes be overpowered by the suction of a furnace, range hood, bath fan or clothes dryer, pulling the combustion products back down the chimney.Direct-vent inserts -- the best-selling type -- have two 3-inch vent pipes on top. One pulls fresh outside air into a firebox; the second sends emissions back out again. Because they consume no warm interior air, direct-vent models are draft-free and energy efficient. The dual-vent system avoids potential air-pressure problems in tightly sealed homes.You could exhaust a direct-vent insert without a chimney. Any outside wall will do. This installation flexibility also keeps costs down. Direct-vent gas fireplaces are sometimes called zero-clearance because most can be installed close to combustible materials.

Advertisement