Cutting Rebar With Diamond Blade

Old 10-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & welding
Rewards Points: 1,002
Send a message via AIM to Michaeljp86

Cutting Rebar With Diamond Blade

Does cutting through rebar in concrete with a diamond blade damage it? I dont want to tear up a $127 blade by hitting some rebar. So far Ive been using abrasive wheels but they are so slow and alot harder to work with.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 2,640

Re: Cutting Rebar With Diamond Blade

It will certainly help deflate the life of your blade, but it is also faster than abrasive blades. What is your time worth and how many $ 10.00 abrasive blades have you worn out? Plus the more you pay for the blade the better they work and longer they last $ 127.00 blade lasts me 6-8 weeks, $ 800.00 blades last better than a year, $ 10.00 abrasive blade lasts 20 minutes.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
EVIL GENIUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
It will certainly help deflate the life of your blade, but it is also faster than abrasive blades. What is your time worth and how many $ 10.00 abrasive blades have you worn out? Plus the more you pay for the blade the better they work and longer they last $ 127.00 blade lasts me 6-8 weeks, $ 800.00 blades last better than a year, $ 10.00 abrasive blade lasts 20 minutes.
A diamond blade last me along time right now because I didnt want to use it to cut a floor. I would say the abrasive wheel last 20-30 min but sure cuts a heck of alot slower.

Im hopeing to have a job comming up replacing a crumpled spot in a floor where forklifts drive. It would take 5 gal of gas or more and at least 1 full day to cut the space out with abrasive wheels. Im sure there is alot of rebar in that area.

The first diamond blade I used I was amazed, I didnt think anything would cut concrete that fast.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
I'm a Mac

Use the diamond blade, it's worth it, I do it when ever needed, I only use abrasive blades for cutting steel by them self, if it's embedded in concrete your wasting your time, make sure you use the water attachment for the saw, this too will prolong the life of the blade (and your lungs).

How many lineal feet on the big job? Good chance you are better off to rent a walk behind machine with a 24-36" blade. The best way to do a job, any job is with the right tool.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,244

With a segmented diamond blade, you are abusing the blade if you cut rebar that is not embedded in concrete. For cutting concrete, it is not much of an issue, but it will erode the matrix faster than normal. Abrasive blades are a better solution for loose rebar.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
EVIL GENIUS

Quote:
Use the diamond blade, it's worth it, I do it when ever needed, I only use abrasive blades for cutting steel by them self, if it's embedded in concrete your wasting your time, make sure you use the water attachment for the saw, this too will prolong the life of the blade (and your lungs).

How many lineal feet on the big job? Good chance you are better off to rent a walk behind machine with a 24-36" blade. The best way to do a job, any job is with the right tool.

I wear a resperator when I cut a floor. If Im cutting something small I usualy dont.

The job size depends on how big he wants to go. Im just guessing here but I think 10'x3' would be the smallest you would want to go and have it hold up. They are packing apples so Im not sure when I could get to it.

My saw is a 14" and it has wheels on it and works pretty good for cutting floors. A walk behind would probably be the best way to go but I think my saw would be ok.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
I'm a Mac

If they are driving forklifts and such and this is a commercial bldg the concrete has got be at least 6" thick, your 14" won't do it, mines at the job but I'm thinking there is only 5" full depth. You need the big boy, just rent it, or sub the cut out and finish it yourself after they do the cut, which with the guys that do it takes literally minutes to do, more time spent on set up then the cut itself.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
EVIL GENIUS

Quote:
If they are driving forklifts and such and this is a commercial bldg the concrete has got be at least 6" thick, your 14" won't do it, mines at the job but I'm thinking there is only 5" full depth. You need the big boy, just rent it, or sub the cut out and finish it yourself after they do the cut, which with the guys that do it takes literally minutes to do, more time spent on set up then the cut itself.

I just did a floor in a building from the 1930s where a huge boiler was. I drilled a hole and measured the thickness. Ill do the same here, if its to thick for my saw then Ill probably go rent one. Its in a big pole barn where the pack fruit. I dont think its to thick but I could be wrong.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,244

That is a good point. A 14" blade is designed to cut 4" or less, a 20" blade 8" or less for masonry, and a 24" to 36" is optimal for 6-8" concrete.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 2,590

Two hard demo contractors I use all the time. One charges extra (Union Shop) to cut a slab with rebar, the other doesn't care, he cuts through everything, no extra charge.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #11
New Guy

Trade: CONCRETE CONTRACTOR
Rewards Points: 10
Cool

JUST MAKE SURE YOUR PRICE IS RIGHT AND CUT AWAY WITH A GOOD BLADE IT WILL COST SOME MONEY BUT IF USED PROPERLY WILL MAKE YOU SOME MONEY. WEATHER REBAR IS THERE OR NOT YOU STILL HAVE TO CUT TO THE SPECS. DO NOT WAST YOUR TIME ON AN MASONARY ARBOR CUTTING BLADE THAT IS BASICLY FOR FINE GRINDING. WITH EXPERIENCE COMON SENSE WILL COME.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #12

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 10

there are abrasive blades that are for concrete,brick,asphalt,slow through rebar
Old 12-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: mason contractor
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to laybrick Send a message via Yahoo to laybrick

add the cost or partial cost of blade to the job. Much more efficient than changeing slow cutting abrasive blades + you dont lose any deoth on the blade while you're cutting
Old 12-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
Captain of the Titanic

Trade: Asphalt Paving,Excavating, Masonry
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I would give the same advice as Chris. I think its the only practical solution.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
EVIL GENIUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I would give the same advice as Chris. I think its the only practical solution.
Ive never done any cutting before so I wasnt sure what would happen. I didnt want to spend $200 on a blade start to cut and hit some rebar and need a new $200 blade after 2 min of cutting.

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard