Cultured Stone

Old 12-06-2005, 12:23 PM   #1

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 10

Cultured Stone

What brand of Cultured Stone do you guys think looks best? and what would you estimate a ballpark installed price in the midwest? and finally..what about using the cultured stone on the side of the house..waist high..and real stone on the front? Do you think they would blend if installed properly?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Cultured Stone

Eldorado has some great stuff. There is another manufacturer who pretty much has the market cornered, can't think of them right off the bat.

$20 square foot.

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2005, 10:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbrain
What brand of Cultured Stone do you guys think looks best? and what would you estimate a ballpark installed price in the midwest? and finally..what about using the cultured stone on the side of the house..waist high..and real stone on the front? Do you think they would blend if installed properly?
Natural Stone Veneers...

Lick and stick,just like the fake stuff!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,108

A company I use alot of material from up here is Owens Corning Cultured Stone. They have alot of great looking material. Prices are generally $60-70 which covers about 12 sq. For labor I charge anywhere from $10 to $11.5 per sq for labor.

As far as knee high and full front using the two differnet materials it will be tricky in my opinion. You realize to make it look right you would have to tie the corners in and the natural and cultured pretty much always have different thicknesses. So you would not be able to tie the corner in and have it look like its all real. You would have to put a straight joint on the corners and I personally dont think that would look right. You're better off going with one or the other.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringmason
A company I use alot of material from up here is Owens Corning Cultured Stone.
Yep, that's the one I couldn't think of. They pretty much own the market here.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #6

Quote:
A company I use alot of material from up here is Owens Corning Cultured Stone. They have alot of great looking material. Prices are generally $60-70 which covers about 12 sq. For labor I charge anywhere from $10 to $11.5 per sq for labor.

As far as knee high and full front using the two differnet materials it will be tricky in my opinion. You realize to make it look right you would have to tie the corners in and the natural and cultured pretty much always have different thicknesses. So you would not be able to tie the corner in and have it look like its all real. You would have to put a straight joint on the corners and I personally dont think that would look right. You're better off going with one or the other.
Cultured Stone is roughly about $5/sq ft material with a $5/sq ft installation. All corners are pre-fab,and not many random shapes to fit like natural veneer.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
Pro

I dont know who you get to do it for $5 a sq ft but they're way under paid. And my whole point is that trying to match cultured and natural stone on a corner wont work. Not sure what you were gettin at though?

And my price list from the supplier shows $6.50 to $7 a sq foot or $72.50 for a box of 11.25 sq ft., and generally around $9.75 for corners. Which is about $78 a box which holds 8 linear feet.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry / architectural stone carving
Rewards Points: 250

[QUOTE=6stringmason]I dont know who you get to do it for $5 a sq ft but they're way under paid. QUOTE]

Sad but true, there are masonry crews here in central texas putting up real stone veneer (4 inch bed) for less than 2.00 / sq ft labor. Far less than I was getting 10 to 12 years ago when I decided to stop contracting and concentrate on my carving.

JVC
Old 12-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #9
Pro

That is very sad. Is it because of the illegals or is the market just that flooded down there with masonry companies? Especially doing natural for $2 a sq. I dont touch it for less than $12. How does the work that these crews do cheap work for look?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Masonry / architectural stone carving
Rewards Points: 250

yep, mostly "guest workers". As far as quality, some do better than others, but it all goes up real fast.

JVC
Old 12-10-2005, 08:50 PM   #11

Can buy Cultured for $5/sq,thin veneer a bit more,thick stone @ $10/sq.
Fake comes in a sealed box,not many different shapes (leave the hammer and chisel in the apron).
Lick and stick...
How many square feet is a "normal day" per man? 10'x10' wall?
100sq ft?
What is that, $125/hr...
Wow,forget Medical School for the kids!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:23 PM   #12
Pro

$125 then start subtracting pay for employees, ins, gas, maintenance on equip,maintenance for work truck, taxes, new equipment savings, retirement fund, etc.. etc...what does that leave ya with?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #13

Quote:
$125 then start subtracting pay for employees, ins, gas, maintenance on equip,maintenance for work truck, taxes, new equipment savings, retirement fund, etc.. etc...what does that leave ya with?

Probably $80-90/hr...
Still more daily than the General Practitioner MD who spent 11 years in College/Med School/residency!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #14
Pro

And 100 sq in an 8 hour day per man is exaggerated. Me and another mason can do about 70 sq in a day. Once you factor in windows, puttin lathe on, scratch coatin, and laying. I would love to see someone do 100sq by themselves in a day. Quality over quanitity. Plus winter work. You have to buy tarps, fuel for heaters which is $1.71 a gallon, and to fix them once a week cuz tenders drop stone and brick on em and bust the cluctches. I doubt I make more than a doctor.

Last edited by 6stringmason; 12-11-2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:53 PM   #15
Pro

Is that why all the masons are driving Mercedes?
Old 12-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #16
Pro

Old 12-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #17

You guys mentioned the thin stone veneer...maybe i could use the full veneer in the front and the thin on the side..is the thin cheeper for labor to install..and what would you guys charge?
Old 12-13-2005, 05:39 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

HEY where i live bricklayers make big money. ASk grumpy how much brick layers make in northern illinois i'm not 100 percent sure.. Thats why here all the new construction is done combo brick and vinyl siding. Unless you get into the big money new construction subdivision. Meaning don't even pull in unless you can afford 400,000 and up.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:46 AM   #19

Trade: hardscaper

I want to get eldorado stone on the front of my house 250/sq. PM me if interested. I'm in Hampstead,MD
Old 12-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #20

Trade: EIFS- Stucco - Hardboard (RhineRock) Exterior

There is a good cultured stone company that sells thick cultured stone for 5-7 a sq. ft. The company is Cera Stone. PM me and I'll send you the info.

Advertisement