Concrete Curb And Gutter Costs

Old 07-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Concrete Curb And Gutter Costs

Oklahoma - Looking for a good formula to estimate cost to replace standard curb and gutter. I am paying around $550 per CY for patios and driveways including tearout and hauloff of old slabs. But the sub I am working with wants twice that for curb and gutter work. We are working a condominium with private streets. How should I be estimating curb and gutter work (incl tearout and hauloff). The sub says standard practice is to chrage twice whatever his cost is. Is that a good rule of thumb?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Contractor

Re: Concrete Curb And Gutter Costs

FYI, we are only repairing small sections of curb and gutter, not an entire street. Only broken curbs and gutters either side of driveways and around catch basins. A typical section of curb and gutter would be about 5-8 feet long. I estimate about 1/2 CY per section and a total of around 10 CY for the whole job.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,482

Considering the work involved you are describing, I don't think that sounds out of line.....we quote flatwork at $5 a sq/ft if we buy the concrete and steel, and tear-out (with a jackhammer,etc.) and hauling would easily double that number. Then you add the fact that since they are small areas, it comes down to how many man hours are involved, and so on.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 07-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Contractor

I want to nail this down a little bit more if I can. We poured 14 CY of concrete. Cost wise, Equipment rental (compresser, jack-hammer, hammer-drill, concrete saw, diamond blades, and trailer) $2,050, supplies (stakes, forms, etc) $250, dump $80, concrete (14cy) $1,200, delivery (concrete) $300, and labor (24 mandays) $2,270. Total Cost therefore $6,178. The contractor wants to double that making the job total $12,356. That works out to $850 per CY. That seems pretty high to me, but I wan to be fair. And I want to establish some price per CY so we do a better job of estimating future work. It doesn't seem that it should cost more to tear-out and replace curbs than any other concrete, except a little more time on the forms and finsihing of the curb itself. Does $850 seem reasonable, or too high?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,244

I do not understand estimating based on CY for either. If you are pouring a cubic yard, flatwork, 6" deep, you will need an entirely different basis to figure a CY of flatwork 4" deep, and it will not be based on CY of concrete used. Same with curbing, which is slow hand work. Square foot x slab depth for flatwork, VS LnFt for curb work.

Sorry for asking a question instead of answering yours.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
New Guy

Trade: concrete contractor

I do a lot of curb replacement here in my area (the only approved contractor in two counties), I charge 22-25 afoot to remove and replace. In louisville, KY, the going rate is about 32-35 a foot. On a 2 ft wide roll curb, I figure 15 ft the the yrd. Last yr, I replaced app. 3000 ft linear by hand.

Hope this helps
Jeremy
Old 03-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #7

Trade: Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem View Post
I want to nail this down a little bit more if I can. We poured 14 CY of concrete. Cost wise, Equipment rental (compresser, jack-hammer, hammer-drill, concrete saw, diamond blades, and trailer) $2,050, supplies (stakes, forms, etc) $250, dump $80, concrete (14cy) $1,200, delivery (concrete) $300, and labor (24 mandays) $2,270. Total Cost therefore $6,178. The contractor wants to double that making the job total $12,356. That works out to $850 per CY. That seems pretty high to me, but I wan to be fair. And I want to establish some price per CY so we do a better job of estimating future work. It doesn't seem that it should cost more to tear-out and replace curbs than any other concrete, except a little more time on the forms and finsihing of the curb itself. Does $850 seem reasonable, or too high?
All I do is curb and I think you got took. I'm in Arkansas and we could have done it for 22 to 25 a Linear foot. I could have done it in 2 weekends off the clock for 20 a lineal foot
Old 03-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #8

Trade: Concrete

As an afterthought do you realize at 18lf a yd it figures to over $47 a lf. That's double the norm for my area
Old 03-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 510

im not into concrete,but anytime i am faced with anything out of the norm
of my scope of work,my price rises.thats why i get more for laying brick in a mailbox(generally at least twice),gables and bay windows,than i do for straight line work.
that being said,it would stand to reason,curb and guttering would cost more than flat work.i really dont think twice is out of line.