Cement Board Outside

Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 2,454

Cement Board Outside

I'm on a job where we are covering the outside of the foundation with rigid foam. The plan is to put 1/2" cement board over the foam and stucco directly onto the cement board. I'm wondering if there is a better approach rather then using cement board. the cement board does run below grade, so I'd rather not use ply and wire mesh as I don't think it will hold up. But, since cement board isn't tested for exterior use I'm wondering if the temperature differences outside will break it down? anyone have any thoughts or a better idea all together? Thanks, Nick.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,256

Re: Cement Board Outside

We do not use foam below grade here, but assuming it is OK for that application, I would terminate it and seal the top at 4" above grade and then do EIFS above.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 226

What brand CBU? Some are exterior rated, like Durock.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
I'm on a job where we are covering the outside of the foundation with rigid foam. The plan is to put 1/2" cement board over the foam and stucco directly onto the cement board. I'm wondering if there is a better approach rather then using cement board. the cement board does run below grade, so I'd rather not use ply and wire mesh as I don't think it will hold up. But, since cement board isn't tested for exterior use I'm wondering if the temperature differences outside will break it down? anyone have any thoughts or a better idea all together? Thanks, Nick.
I've woked on buildings that were felt papered over studs, wired and stuccoed. They are at least 15 years old and still look good. Maybe just wire over the foam, attached well to the foundation wall and do it up.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 06-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,130

what about large rolls of fibreglass mesh, we use it all the time at grade for the icf foundations we do.

a while back i was on an addition where the foundation stepped down to grade on the addition however the main part of the house had a 7ft concrete wall above grade. because of the stepped foundation we sticke framed the walls then sheathed it with concrete board, after that it was parged. i never heard anything of this working or not working though
Old 06-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 2,454

I'm not into stuccoing right over the foam because it is so fragile. It could get damaged pretty easy. I am using durock cement board. I know Hardi board isn't designed for exterior use.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,194

Raise the grade to cover the part you need to stucco. What is the siding on the above grade portion of the building?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
. But, since cement board isn't tested for exterior use I'm wondering if the temperature differences outside will break it down? anyone have any thoughts or a better idea all together? Thanks, Nick.
It's not a good idea to use a product in an environment where it hasn't been tested or approved. Find out what type of cement board Angus mentioned and use that if you go forward.

In addition to suggestions here, drive around your area and see if anyone else is doing a similar project. They might have some good advice.

Go to your local building department and see if they have any standard construction details for your situation.

Contact manufacturers and see what they have to say.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 AM   #9

Trade: Design / Build, General
Rewards Points: 10

I'm unclear what the issue is. Is it moisture or temperature that's the concern? You can bond to ply-cem for "stucco" by first painting with diluted Concrete glue. You need to mesh tape the seems first before the glue. Then when dry, apply a slurry mix of grout. Yep, I said grout. Doesn't need to be thick. Just evenly covered. Think of that as your scratch coat. You can do that with a heavy nap paint roller too. Then you can trowel stucco as you need.