Brick Ledge Requirements For Garage

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #1

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 10

Brick Ledge Requirements For Garage

I am building a detached garage and asked the concrete contractor to pour a separate footers from the slab so that I can have the brick start below the ground so that it will match my house. He agreed to do that, but in pouring the footers first, which will end up having the bricks laid on them, there are places where I only have 3.5 inches of footer since the slab was poured. Part of this is due to form boards giving in one corner when the concrete for the garage floor was poured. However, there are several other places with only 5" clearance from the slab. Since brick are almost 4" thick and I will need to put on 1/2 inch plywood on the outside walls then have "some" space between the playwood and the brick, how much room is normally between the plywood sheeting and the back of the brick? Also, with so little footer available in part of perimeter, does the entire brick need to sit on the footer? If it does, do you have a suggestion of the "best" way to pour the additional footer width? Thanks in advance.

Brian in TN

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #2

Trade: Residential contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Brick Ledge Requirements For Garage

Generally there is an inch between the brick and the wall, pretty simple solution. Hold your wall where the 1/2" sheeting is flush with the concrete floor. Where the footing is only 3 1/2" just hold your wall in enough to get close to the 1" space on the wall, the brick will be tight against the concrete but once past it there will be enough room behind the brick.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,320

First, with veneered brick construction, it is not acceptable to have the veneer in contact with the earth. The height above grade varies by code, but 6" is a good start.

Second, a bit of overhang of the brick on the ledge is not a problem until it approachs 25% of the brick width or exposes the cores of the brick, whichever is smallest.

You should use standard 4x8x16 CMU to bring the footer up to the proper height, waterproof it, flash well at grade, then carry your brick up as normal. Current recommended airspace is 2", but it was 1" for decades. Most important is flashing and weeping the wall well.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #4

I forgot, most bricklayers around here hang their brick off the brickledge about 1/2" to get the 1" clearance behind it.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,672

And most brick is right off the ledge on the footing, below grade.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
Pro

That is not good unless it is isolated from the above grade veneer, in which case it doesn't really matter.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,672

I have never liked the idea of brick being below grade....and in my area, it is all like that...and of course, we are seeing a lot more termite damage in homes...specially the ones that used the old chlordane treatment.

The practice around here used to be stems walls creating the "form" for the slab floors that became popular in the 50's, and termite penetrations are common in the joints, as well as behind the veneer.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 10-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Bricklayer / contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Things are a little differant here in the UK so can you please clear up a little query?

I thought that over there if you lay brick below grade you have to grout in any airspace up to flashing level and then carry on as normal.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Pro

That is the correct way to do brick below grade here, too, it is just not recommended to use brick below grade.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Bricklayer / contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Yeah I hear ya.
Well over here we always use brick below grade but if we were going to use normal face brick it would have to be of the highest quality (in fact I've never done it) so what we do normally is to use what we call an engineering brick which is rated to resist frost, up to the flashing.(I think you call them glazed brick?)
Old 10-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #11

It is funny that codes change so much throughout the country. Around here most houses are crawl spaces and code doesn't even require weep holes or flashing. They allow us to drill holes in the bottom course of block on the inside of the crawl to drain the condensation between the brick and the house. Also every house has at least 6" of brick below grade, this is the first of "no below grade brick"
Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
Pro

Different areas have different requirements and different building products available.

I would argue, however, that flashing and weeps are an integral part of the structural design of a modern cavity wall system, and should be done as part of the normal course of work, specified or not.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 PM   #13

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the many comments. I know what kind of discussion I need to have with my concrete contractor now.