Brick Laying Trade School

Old 02-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #1

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 6

Brick Laying Trade School

Does Anyone know of any brick laying trade schools? I am specifically looking for a training course or trade school that teaches brick laying and masonry construction that has hands on training. I am located in Baltimore MD and would like to attend a school in that but other areas are fine too.

Every class I have found either require to be a member of a union, have a class where masonry training is a small part of a much larger class or I have found training schools that are not in the US. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 394

Re: Brick Laying Trade School

Best bet is through a union apprenticeship program, or by hiring on with a non-union masonry contractor that has a department of labor certified in house apprenticeship training.

Getting a job in these trades should be easy if you are presentable, physically fit, drug free and reliable. The building trades and masonry in particular are starving for trades people.

I am unaware of any such schools.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (02-24-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 7,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmeni View Post
Does Anyone know of any brick laying trade schools? I am specifically looking for a training course or trade school that teaches brick laying and masonry construction that has hands on training. I am located in Baltimore MD and would like to attend a school in that but other areas are fine too.

Every class I have found either require to be a member of a union, have a class where masonry training is a small part of a much larger class or I have found training schools that are not in the US. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Check around some local community colleges. Community colleges around here used to offer masonry classes. The best education you will ever get would be to go to work for a Mason.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brickhook For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-23-2018), Fouthgeneration (02-24-2018), Jaws (02-23-2018), wazez (02-23-2018)

Old 02-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhook View Post
The best education you will ever get would be to go to work for a Mason.

I agree however get ready to push a wheelbarrow for a while to show your dedication and ambition before the boss will throw you on a wall. I donít think I ever met a bricklayer that didnít start out by pushing a barrel first

If you donít want to start as a grunt labor then your only chance will be through a union apprenticeship or a dedicated Trade school but there isnít many of them around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
brickhook (02-23-2018), fjn (02-24-2018), Fouthgeneration (02-24-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 9,126

You must be under 21 to apply here.

https://www.williamson.edu/
Old 02-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #6
Pro

From what I understand,this one is quite good also,however,I think they lean more towards restoration work.

http://americancollegeofthebuildingarts.com/
Old 02-24-2018, 12:58 AM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 6,341

Nearly anyone with a average physical condition and average mental ability and some eye- hand coordination can be taught to lay masonry at an employable rate and quality level.

I seen some learn 95% of what most journeymen know in 6 months, others needed the entire 48 months ON THE WALL (actual trowel time, not building scaffold, operating the lift, or being the saw mamma...) to achieve journeymen status.

Most normal people require a few years to fully develop their muscles, tendons and skeleton to handle the daily loads imposed on production block and bricklayers with out constant injury and pain.

Feral bricklayers RARELY ever match ones brought up in a structured learning regime or even ones with two or three competent coworkers to "monkey" copy.

Ignoring the existence of several thousands of years of Techniques and methods is silly IMO.

I'm still learning after 30+ years... I laid more brick then ever before this last year, and I'm in my 50s.... of course I started out really slow....
fjn (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 05:23 PM   #8

Thanks Everyone. It looks like the only training classes out there are in England or Canada. I simply dont understand why I am finding next to nothing in the US (I found one in the US but it is a 3 year program). In fact if you google "brick laying school almost all of the links are websites in the UK. I was looking for more along the lines to a week at minimum or 4 months at most.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Thanks Everyone. It looks like the only training classes out there are in England or Canada. I simply dont understand why I am finding next to nothing in the US (I found one in the US but it is a 3 year program). In fact if you google "brick laying school almost all of the links are websites in the UK. I was looking for more along the lines to a week at minimum or 4 months at most.

Depending on where you are at why donít you apply for an apprentiship at the local hall? The pay is good and you will get paid on the job training?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-24-2018), slowsol (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 6,341

Try the Maryland dept labor web site for phone contact #.

Plan B, put on your work clothes and take a hard hat to masonry building site Monday and ask to talk to the Masonry Foreman or Superintendent about a job as a bricklayer. Don't take the first offer, but do call them back and let know you ended up somewhere else. Never burn a bridge you might cross in the next 48 years of work....

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 02-24-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 7,566

Quote:
1 week to 4 months?!

The last masons we trained were Mario and his 2 brother-n-laws. They labored for 4 or 5 years before they made what i would call a good mason. They started at the very bottom at $10 an hour toting brick and making mud.

Mario is still with me making top masons pay with a lot of perks.

You most likely wont learn the difference between a trowel and a shovel in a weeks time.
The Following User Says Thank You to brickhook For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-25-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhook View Post

You most likely wont learn the difference between a trowel and a shovel in a weeks time.

Hell, It takes most people a week to learn how to place a shovel of mud on a mortar board 5 or 6 feet high on scaffold without splattering it all over the planks, bricklayer, or the ground

I still get a kick watching a new guy slowly lifting a shovel of mud over their head, slowly rotating it trying to maneuver it up to the board..I always tell them you have to turn around, face away and and roll the shovel over your shoulder, itís easy as pie. But i usually get the deer in headlights stare because they canít grasp the concept of not facing it

Itís even better when they can get a shovel of mud on a mortar board 2 scaffolds up(10 ft) now weíre talking about a pro laborer.

Last edited by Windycity; 02-24-2018 at 09:01 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
brickhook (02-24-2018), fjn (02-25-2018), Fouthgeneration (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Hell, It takes most people a week to learn how to place a shovel of mud on a mortar board 5 or 6 feet high on scaffold without splattering it all over the planks, bricklayer, or the ground

I still get a kick watching a new guy slowly lifting a shovel of mud over their head, slowly rotating it trying to maneuver it up to the board..I always tell them you have to turn around, face away and and roll the shovel over your shoulder, itís easy as pie. But i usually get the deer in headlights stare because they canít grasp the concept of not facing it

Itís even better when they can get a shovel of mud on a mortar board 2 scaffolds up(10 ft) now weíre talking about a pro laborer.

A real pro will stand on top of the wheelbarrow....my dad taught me that lol
The Following User Says Thank You to wazez For This Useful Post:
brickhook (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 06:50 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 406

As said above. An apprenticeship program or start looking for job sites.

One week to 4 months. I can't even comment.

Plan on being a tender for quite a while. Then, when they do let you on the wall, you still have to be the tender.

I was lucky. Stumbled onto a good mason. He had been a mason since he was 18. (Tender at 18, but that's when he started) He's 77 now. His health isn't the greatest anymore. He only has about 4 to 5 years left. Still, last year he would come out to the job and work an hour or so.
Turned out to be one of my best friends.

I still remember the time and place he showed me how to place mortar on the second stage. He got off the scaffold, showed me one time, went back to work. Never said a word.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
brickhook (02-25-2018), fjn (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazez View Post
A real pro will stand on top of the wheelbarrow....my dad taught me that lol

Absolutely, it is easier to stand on the handles close to the barrow. But that only works when you have a decent amount of mud in there so you donít tip over

Haha

Old 02-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #16
Pro

How about this guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
GC_contractor (03-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #17
Pro

Or,better yet,this guy sure does use his head.

The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
GC_contractor (03-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #18
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,358

Williamson free school of trades is right in my backyard in Middletown PA. No doubt one of the best trade schools in the country.

After graduating #1 in our local 3 year vo-tech masonry program, I was given a free ride to Williamson...I didn't take it and was hired right out of school through teacher references. I kinda regret I didn't take the offer as admission is pretty difficult to get.

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #19
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,494

I didn’t goto a trade school and do ok...
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-26-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #20

So I own a contracting company and as far as brick laying goes we only do chimney rebuilds (usually about 100 to 300 bricks). I don't have the free time to work for a mason for five years. We use a couple masons right now but if we schedule them for a job we are there last priority (if they get any other job for their own company they will simply cancel on us). I have also put out postings on job websites looking for masons to no avail. Since there is only one type of job we do and since I have the luxury of going as slow as I need to on jobs I figured taking a class would suffice.

Advertisement