Blocks Per Day

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
GC
 
NICKPAUS's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Torrance
Posts: 190
Rewards Points: 150

Blocks Per Day


How many blocks can the average Mason install in a day? Block wall 6' tall straight on level ground.
NICKPAUS is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   
 

Old 05-12-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
Pro
 
CJKarl's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ivoryton CT
Posts: 3,443
Rewards Points: 2,156

Re: Blocks Per Day


What blocks? Some weigh up to 75 lbs. You don't lay many of those a day.

__________________
There's Always A Market For Quality
http://www.kaufmannmasonry.com/
CJKarl is offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Pro
 
stacker's Avatar
 
Trade: masonry
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: alva,oklahoma
Posts: 1,207
Rewards Points: 510

Re: Blocks Per Day


Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKPAUS View Post
How many blocks can the average Mason install in a day? Block wall 6' tall straight on level ground.
8's i can lay about 350,with the right help.
12's about 75-100
__________________
life is short,do your masonry naked!!
http://ok.local.yahoo.biz/knabemasonry/index.html
stacker is offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
GC
 
NICKPAUS's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Torrance
Posts: 190
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Blocks Per Day


8" or 6" block. Thanks Stacker.
NICKPAUS is offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Pro
 
stacker's Avatar
 
Trade: masonry
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: alva,oklahoma
Posts: 1,207
Rewards Points: 510

Re: Blocks Per Day


about the same for 6's as for 8's.
__________________
life is short,do your masonry naked!!
http://ok.local.yahoo.biz/knabemasonry/index.html
stacker is offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
Member
 
masonlifer's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Blocks Per Day


Quantity can really go down depending on type of wall and accessories. Running bond or stacked bond? Grouted ? Vertical or horizontal rebar? Rebar positioners? Type of reinforcement wire? I wish I could find 6' tall straight walls with nothing extra in them; though they would probably be on laying on the ground in ten years.
masonlifer is offline  
Old 05-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
GC
 
NICKPAUS's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Torrance
Posts: 190
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Blocks Per Day


Wall im pouring footing for tomorrow is 11 blocks tall 6" x 6" x 16" slumpstone 5' 6" tall vertical rebar every other block with 2 bond beams. Straight shot 130' long level. I bid it 6 months ago for $97.50 a foot with 18" x 18" footing with 4 #4 bars in footing. They told me it was to much but after calculating in all my costs and my daily average for myself thats what I came up with. 6 months and no legit contractor beat the price so I guess I priced it right. Never built walls for customers only around houses that were flipped. Figured 200 blocks a day with 3 guys and was wondering what the pros can handle.
NICKPAUS is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 05:49 AM   #8
Pro
 
tkle's Avatar
 
Trade: general building and masonry
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,084
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Blocks Per Day


Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKPAUS View Post
Wall im pouring footing for tomorrow is 11 blocks tall 6" x 6" x 16" slumpstone 5' 6" tall vertical rebar every other block with 2 bond beams. Straight shot 130' long level. I bid it 6 months ago for $97.50 a foot with 18" x 18" footing with 4 #4 bars in footing. They told me it was to much but after calculating in all my costs and my daily average for myself thats what I came up with. 6 months and no legit contractor beat the price so I guess I priced it right. Never built walls for customers only around houses that were flipped. Figured 200 blocks a day with 3 guys and was wondering what the pros can handle.
You're about 40 dollars a foot too high. A good mason should get 4 to 5 hundred 6" slump a day depending on help and finish. I find I'm too expensive to figure in my labor on a wall unless I have 5 or 6 guys.The less I do the cheaper the wall. If you're getting your prices from Sepulvida, shop around. Los Angles block may be a bit cheaper or go straight to ORCO. Home Depot also carries a decent slump. They're probably the cheapest but their customer service is bad. Their cement sucks for finish work. It's got kind of an ugly color. I only use Colton.
Slump are hard to grout. You may consider a mid height inspection and grouting by hand.

Rereading your post it sounds like you got the job! Your price wasn't too high. Dang, wish I was getting those prices...You must be working in Rancho.

Last edited by tkle; 05-13-2008 at 05:55 AM.
tkle is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
GC
 
NICKPAUS's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Torrance
Posts: 190
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Blocks Per Day


Alot of cost was due to 5 tree stumps in my path and old fence removal and 23 fence posts cemented in. I bid the job before I bought my Cat Skidsteer with BH30 Backhoe attachment and figured it would cost me up to $2,500 for demo and digging footing and hauling. That brought up my per foot costs alot. Ended up digging it in 1 day no problem with 2 of my guys going over it by hand to square it all up. If I new a good reliable and reasonable Mason in my area that needs work I can get alot more of these jobs. Im usually dont build walls unless its part of a build or big project but with work slow and it being a refferal from a good customer I have built for. Neighbor needs a wall 150' so any SoCal Masons hit me up. I would prefer just to set it up and have someone come Stack them for me.
NICKPAUS is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
Pro
 
stacker's Avatar
 
Trade: masonry
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: alva,oklahoma
Posts: 1,207
Rewards Points: 510

Re: Blocks Per Day


Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKPAUS View Post
Wall im pouring footing for tomorrow is 11 blocks tall 6" x 6" x 16" slumpstone 5' 6" tall vertical rebar every other block with 2 bond beams. Straight shot 130' long level. I bid it 6 months ago for $97.50 a foot with 18" x 18" footing with 4 #4 bars in footing. They told me it was to much but after calculating in all my costs and my daily average for myself thats what I came up with. 6 months and no legit contractor beat the price so I guess I priced it right. Never built walls for customers only around houses that were flipped. Figured 200 blocks a day with 3 guys and was wondering what the pros can handle.
i just bid and received a 150'x6' block wall.one b.b.vertical every four feet.i will have to dig the footer by hand,and pour it.
total for material and labor......$9.00 a sq ft.
__________________
life is short,do your masonry naked!!
http://ok.local.yahoo.biz/knabemasonry/index.html
stacker is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Pro
 
Tscarborough's Avatar
 
Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
Rewards Points: 2,248

Re: Blocks Per Day


He is talking linear, you are talking square foot, Stacker.
__________________
There is Birth then there is Death. In between there is maintenance -Tom Robbins
Tscarborough is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #12
GC
 
NICKPAUS's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Torrance
Posts: 190
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Blocks Per Day


It comes out to be $17.87 a square foot. Cost of living is alot less in OK and blocks material and dumpfees are probably cheaper to. Slump stone blocks are $246 a pallet of 120 6x6 or $1.78 a piece before tax and pallet pick up not delivered. Dump fees to dump old fence $78 a ton 1 ton minimum. And $120 to dump a load at the landfill with my 7'x12' Carson dump trailer. Oh and I almost forgot one of my Biggest expenses DIESEL $4.67 a gallon.
NICKPAUS is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Pro
 
stacker's Avatar
 
Trade: masonry
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: alva,oklahoma
Posts: 1,207
Rewards Points: 510

Re: Blocks Per Day


Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKPAUS View Post
It comes out to be $17.87 a square foot. Cost of living is alot less in OK and blocks material and dumpfees are probably cheaper to. Slump stone blocks are $246 a pallet of 120 6x6 or $1.78 a piece before tax and pallet pick up not delivered. Dump fees to dump old fence $78 a ton 1 ton minimum. And $120 to dump a load at the landfill with my 7'x12' Carson dump trailer. Oh and I almost forgot one of my Biggest expenses DIESEL $4.67 a gallon.
i agree,my lineal foot price comes to a little over 38.00
i will be using regular 8"block,at a cost of about 1.80 more or less.no dump fees,mason cement runs about 8.00 a bag,concrete for footer is 100.00 plus 4.00 a mile for 26 miles.
__________________
life is short,do your masonry naked!!
http://ok.local.yahoo.biz/knabemasonry/index.html
stacker is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
Pro
 
tkle's Avatar
 
Trade: general building and masonry
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,084
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Blocks Per Day


Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKPAUS View Post
Alot of cost was due to 5 tree stumps in my path and old fence removal and 23 fence posts cemented in. I bid the job before I bought my Cat Skidsteer with BH30 Backhoe attachment and figured it would cost me up to $2,500 for demo and digging footing and hauling. That brought up my per foot costs alot. Ended up digging it in 1 day no problem with 2 of my guys going over it by hand to square it all up. If I new a good reliable and reasonable Mason in my area that needs work I can get alot more of these jobs. Im usually dont build walls unless its part of a build or big project but with work slow and it being a refferal from a good customer I have built for. Neighbor needs a wall 150' so any SoCal Masons hit me up. I would prefer just to set it up and have someone come Stack them for me.
I'm about 3 hours away(north of Palm Springs) Six hours there and back. Do you pay travel time? Often the blockyards can give you a lead on a crew. Just double check anyone with a greencard.
tkle is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
Member
 
WARD's Avatar
 
Trade: masonry
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southaven, MS
Posts: 34
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Blocks Per Day


Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker View Post
i agree,my lineal foot price comes to a little over 38.00
i will be using regular 8"block,at a cost of about 1.80 more or less.no dump fees,mason cement runs about 8.00 a bag,concrete for footer is 100.00 plus 4.00 a mile for 26 miles.
$1.80 for a regular 8 inch block? Seriously?
WARD is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #16
Pro
 
Tscarborough's Avatar
 
Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
Rewards Points: 2,248

Re: Blocks Per Day


Yeah, I can ship them cheaper to you than that if Alva is in the southern part of the state.

__________________
There is Birth then there is Death. In between there is maintenance -Tom Robbins
Tscarborough is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need help terminating Cat5e phone blocks Magnettica Low Voltage 37 02-24-2008 07:51 PM
Building Blocks for Retaining Wall robertc65 Landscaping 2 04-25-2007 02:53 PM
6' Tall Privacy Fence using 16"x8"x8" Blocks AtlantaLawn.com Masonry 5 09-25-2006 08:12 PM
CMU Blocks per man under 'ideal' conditions personalt Masonry 15 07-28-2006 06:06 PM
insulating older home on blocks dsharp Construction 1 01-30-2006 02:53 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?