Blocks Per Day

Old 05-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
GC

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Blocks Per Day

How many blocks can the average Mason install in a day? Block wall 6' tall straight on level ground.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,156

Re: Blocks Per Day

What blocks? Some weigh up to 75 lbs. You don't lay many of those a day.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKPAUS View Post
How many blocks can the average Mason install in a day? Block wall 6' tall straight on level ground.
8's i can lay about 350,with the right help.
12's about 75-100
Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
GC

8" or 6" block. Thanks Stacker.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Pro

about the same for 6's as for 8's.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #6

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 75

Quantity can really go down depending on type of wall and accessories. Running bond or stacked bond? Grouted ? Vertical or horizontal rebar? Rebar positioners? Type of reinforcement wire? I wish I could find 6' tall straight walls with nothing extra in them; though they would probably be on laying on the ground in ten years.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
GC

Wall im pouring footing for tomorrow is 11 blocks tall 6" x 6" x 16" slumpstone 5' 6" tall vertical rebar every other block with 2 bond beams. Straight shot 130' long level. I bid it 6 months ago for $97.50 a foot with 18" x 18" footing with 4 #4 bars in footing. They told me it was to much but after calculating in all my costs and my daily average for myself thats what I came up with. 6 months and no legit contractor beat the price so I guess I priced it right. Never built walls for customers only around houses that were flipped. Figured 200 blocks a day with 3 guys and was wondering what the pros can handle.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:49 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: general building and masonry
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Wall im pouring footing for tomorrow is 11 blocks tall 6" x 6" x 16" slumpstone 5' 6" tall vertical rebar every other block with 2 bond beams. Straight shot 130' long level. I bid it 6 months ago for $97.50 a foot with 18" x 18" footing with 4 #4 bars in footing. They told me it was to much but after calculating in all my costs and my daily average for myself thats what I came up with. 6 months and no legit contractor beat the price so I guess I priced it right. Never built walls for customers only around houses that were flipped. Figured 200 blocks a day with 3 guys and was wondering what the pros can handle.
You're about 40 dollars a foot too high. A good mason should get 4 to 5 hundred 6" slump a day depending on help and finish. I find I'm too expensive to figure in my labor on a wall unless I have 5 or 6 guys.The less I do the cheaper the wall. If you're getting your prices from Sepulvida, shop around. Los Angles block may be a bit cheaper or go straight to ORCO. Home Depot also carries a decent slump. They're probably the cheapest but their customer service is bad. Their cement sucks for finish work. It's got kind of an ugly color. I only use Colton.
Slump are hard to grout. You may consider a mid height inspection and grouting by hand.

Rereading your post it sounds like you got the job! Your price wasn't too high. Dang, wish I was getting those prices...You must be working in Rancho.

Last edited by tkle; 05-13-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
GC

Alot of cost was due to 5 tree stumps in my path and old fence removal and 23 fence posts cemented in. I bid the job before I bought my Cat Skidsteer with BH30 Backhoe attachment and figured it would cost me up to $2,500 for demo and digging footing and hauling. That brought up my per foot costs alot. Ended up digging it in 1 day no problem with 2 of my guys going over it by hand to square it all up. If I new a good reliable and reasonable Mason in my area that needs work I can get alot more of these jobs. Im usually dont build walls unless its part of a build or big project but with work slow and it being a refferal from a good customer I have built for. Neighbor needs a wall 150' so any SoCal Masons hit me up. I would prefer just to set it up and have someone come Stack them for me.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
i just bid and received a 150'x6' block wall.one b.b.vertical every four feet.i will have to dig the footer by hand,and pour it.
total for material and labor......$9.00 a sq ft.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,248

He is talking linear, you are talking square foot, Stacker.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #12
GC

It comes out to be $17.87 a square foot. Cost of living is alot less in OK and blocks material and dumpfees are probably cheaper to. Slump stone blocks are $246 a pallet of 120 6x6 or $1.78 a piece before tax and pallet pick up not delivered. Dump fees to dump old fence $78 a ton 1 ton minimum. And $120 to dump a load at the landfill with my 7'x12' Carson dump trailer. Oh and I almost forgot one of my Biggest expenses DIESEL $4.67 a gallon.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
It comes out to be $17.87 a square foot. Cost of living is alot less in OK and blocks material and dumpfees are probably cheaper to. Slump stone blocks are $246 a pallet of 120 6x6 or $1.78 a piece before tax and pallet pick up not delivered. Dump fees to dump old fence $78 a ton 1 ton minimum. And $120 to dump a load at the landfill with my 7'x12' Carson dump trailer. Oh and I almost forgot one of my Biggest expenses DIESEL $4.67 a gallon.
i agree,my lineal foot price comes to a little over 38.00
i will be using regular 8"block,at a cost of about 1.80 more or less.no dump fees,mason cement runs about 8.00 a bag,concrete for footer is 100.00 plus 4.00 a mile for 26 miles.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: general building and masonry
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Alot of cost was due to 5 tree stumps in my path and old fence removal and 23 fence posts cemented in. I bid the job before I bought my Cat Skidsteer with BH30 Backhoe attachment and figured it would cost me up to $2,500 for demo and digging footing and hauling. That brought up my per foot costs alot. Ended up digging it in 1 day no problem with 2 of my guys going over it by hand to square it all up. If I new a good reliable and reasonable Mason in my area that needs work I can get alot more of these jobs. Im usually dont build walls unless its part of a build or big project but with work slow and it being a refferal from a good customer I have built for. Neighbor needs a wall 150' so any SoCal Masons hit me up. I would prefer just to set it up and have someone come Stack them for me.
I'm about 3 hours away(north of Palm Springs) Six hours there and back. Do you pay travel time? Often the blockyards can give you a lead on a crew. Just double check anyone with a greencard.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker View Post
i agree,my lineal foot price comes to a little over 38.00
i will be using regular 8"block,at a cost of about 1.80 more or less.no dump fees,mason cement runs about 8.00 a bag,concrete for footer is 100.00 plus 4.00 a mile for 26 miles.
$1.80 for a regular 8 inch block? Seriously?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,248

Yeah, I can ship them cheaper to you than that if Alva is in the southern part of the state.