12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #41
Pro
 
Windycity's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,378
Rewards Points: 5,798

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
You could also broadcast blasting sand into your fresh sealant...two part sealants would be the premium choice in terms of quality.


Looks great. Do you add the sand immediately after you caulk it or do you wait a few?

How do you like using the sausage gun? I have never used one before but recently I watched someone else using one and i want to get one to try it out. Looks smooth ...not exactly cheap though but i fill enough expansion joints i think it would be worth it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 09-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #42
Renaissance Man
 
superseal's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 6,632
Rewards Points: 5,360

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Looks great. Do you add the sand immediately after you caulk it or do you wait a few?

How do you like using the sausage gun? I have never used one before but recently I watched someone else using one and i want to get one to try it out. Looks smooth ...not exactly cheap though but i fill enough expansion joints i think it would be worth it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You add it as soon as possible to get the best tack...In terms of sausage guns, the one I showed is actually a bulk gun I run 2 part sealants through. Not much different than a sausage except for the internal piston selection which can be easily modified.

I use pretty much nothing but Albion guns because I think they're the best and happen to be locally available and my supplier carries all the replacement parts and accessories.

1 part products are surely okay, but once you go 2 part, you'll experience a higher quality, but most importantly,...a tooling factor that cannot be beat.

Some of my guns can hold a serious amount of sealant, hence less filling and more work getting done...perfect for large control joints where you're sucking up a lot of material.
Attached Thumbnails
12ft high 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock fall hazard?-img_1657a.jpg   12ft high 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock fall hazard?-img_1668a.jpg   12ft high 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock fall hazard?-img_1669a.jpg   12ft high 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock fall hazard?-img_1671a.jpg   12ft high 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock fall hazard?-img_1686a.jpg  

12ft high 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock fall hazard?-img_1676a.jpg  
__________________
"Under promise, over deliver and all that!" JBM
supersealconstruction.com

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
superseal is offline  
Old 09-29-2016, 10:30 PM   #43
New Guy
 
RedBaronww1's Avatar
 
Trade: Log Homes
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 102

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Thanks for the photos that looks great, I like the idea of blasting the sand in, gives the texture I was hoping for. I have the same style of gun we use it for chinking the log work. I could probably use the same chinking (https://www.permachink.com/log-sealants/energy-seal) for the control joints and find a dark sand.


We also have a bunch of backer rod left over from the log work.



I will look into that Siloxane PD.


I'm still having a hard time deciding where to put the control joints. It seems to me the corners would be best as they are the junction of the aspects and temp gradients however the control joints would be much shorter and less noticeable running them through the door and window openings.



Thanks guys, planning on washing things up tomorrow then pointing it up on Monday. I will get some pics once its all cleaned up.


all the best
RedBaronww1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RedBaronww1 For This Useful Post:
asevereid (10-05-2016)
   
 
Old 10-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #44
Pro
 
Windycity's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,378
Rewards Points: 5,798

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
You add it as soon as possible to get the best tack...In terms of sausage guns, the one I showed is actually a bulk gun I run 2 part sealants through. Not much different than a sausage except for the internal piston selection which can be easily modified.



I use pretty much nothing but Albion guns because I think they're the best and happen to be locally available and my supplier carries all the replacement parts and accessories.



1 part products are surely okay, but once you go 2 part, you'll experience a higher quality, but most importantly,...a tooling factor that cannot be beat.



Some of my guns can hold a serious amount of sealant, hence less filling and more work getting done...perfect for large control joints where you're sucking up a lot of material.


Thanks for the info, i guess i need to bite the bullet and just buy some stuff and give it a shot. I do enough caulking to justify it. Alot of the "wider" joints i finish are acceptable but me being critical of myself i look at them and think they look like chit...so I definitely am interested in the 2 part sealant finishing better. Does the two part products come in any smaller quantities or are they all in large pails? After it is mixed how much work time do you have and is there any shelf life if there is leftover product IE can you save it for a later date? I have done a quick search online but cant really find any good info about the 2 part stuff...

Thanks superseal!

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, looking forward to the finished pics!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Windycity; 10-01-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Windycity is offline  
Old 10-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #45
Renaissance Man
 
superseal's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 6,632
Rewards Points: 5,360

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Thanks for the info, i guess i need to bite the bullet and just buy some stuff and give it a shot. I do enough caulking to justify it. Alot of the "wider" joints i finish are acceptable but me being critical of myself i look at them and think they look like chit...so I definitely am interested in the 2 part sealant finishing better. Does the two part products come in any smaller quantities or are they all in large pails? After it is mixed how much work time do you have and is there any shelf life if there is leftover product IE can you save it for a later date? I have done a quick search online but cant really find any good info about the 2 part stuff...

Thanks superseal!

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, looking forward to the finished pics!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tremco Dymeric 240fc is packaged in 1.5gal and 3gal with pre measured curative and color packs. The 1.5 is shown in the picture.

I use a lot of Sika as well...manly 2C NS. Same packaging sizes but less color oppurtunity with 40 colors...Tremco has 70 colors.

Once you mix it, you gotta use it. Pot life is approx 3 to 4 hours depending on temps.
__________________
"Under promise, over deliver and all that!" JBM
supersealconstruction.com

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
superseal is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (10-08-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #46
Renaissance Man
 
superseal's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 6,632
Rewards Points: 5,360

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


http://www.tremcosealants.com/category/sealants.aspx

http://usa.sika.com/en/construction-.../sealants.html

Here's some links windy if you need them...
__________________
"Under promise, over deliver and all that!" JBM
supersealconstruction.com

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
superseal is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (10-08-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #47
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 23,699
Rewards Points: 12,478

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
You add it as soon as possible to get the best tack...In terms of sausage guns, the one I showed is actually a bulk gun I run 2 part sealants through. Not much different than a sausage except for the internal piston selection which can be easily modified.

I use pretty much nothing but Albion guns because I think they're the best and happen to be locally available and my supplier carries all the replacement parts and accessories.

1 part products are surely okay, but once you go 2 part, you'll experience a higher quality, but most importantly,...a tooling factor that cannot be beat.

Some of my guns can hold a serious amount of sealant, hence less filling and more work getting done...perfect for large control joints where you're sucking up a lot of material.
I use Albion guns too, great company to deal with.
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 10-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #48
Pro
 
Windycity's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,378
Rewards Points: 5,798

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
I use Albion guns too, great company to deal with.


Thats for the info guys! I went to albion website and they have a couple short videos about their guns and the different types of pistons, etc giving me enough info so i know the differences. There is a supplier close to me so if i have a chance i will stop in there this and talk to them..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is offline  
Old 10-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #49
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 23,699
Rewards Points: 12,478

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Thats for the info guys! I went to albion website and they have a couple short videos about their guns and the different types of pistons, etc giving me enough info so i know the differences. There is a supplier close to me so if i have a chance i will stop in there this and talk to them..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Choose the right piston, I found out the hard way the rubber one reacts badly with Yellow77.
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 10-05-2016, 01:02 AM   #50
New Guy
 
RedBaronww1's Avatar
 
Trade: Log Homes
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 102

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Finished the rock work but have held off on grouting the joints. I have been talking to my friend again and he had a good idea to put up the seal coat and then groute them like regual tile and skip the whole groute bag **** show as the joints are 1/4" and the grout bag seems to clog up and I need to cut the end at 1/2".

Currently I do like how you can see the cracks with the dark shadow between them. If I go with grey I'm thinking the rocks will really blend however I think black is to dark so I'm going to aim for a dark grey.

What do you guys think about this method, maybe I should go with two seal coats does Siloxane PD give a really tight seal? I have never grouted slate tiles but I'm guessing the same process would work just iregular lines.

Here is a pic

Last edited by RedBaronww1; 10-05-2016 at 01:12 AM.
RedBaronww1 is offline  
Old 10-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #51
Pro
 
fjn's Avatar
 
Trade: mason
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,541
Rewards Points: 9,132

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronww1 View Post
the joints are 1/4" and the grout bag seems to clog up and I need to cut the end at 1/2".



Here is a pic



Get a jar of this stuff,it is like adding grease to the grout.

https://www.amazon.com/Gibcos-MRF-Dr...ords=gibco%27s
fjn is offline  
Old 10-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #52
Pro
 
Windycity's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,378
Rewards Points: 5,798

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronww1 View Post
Finished the rock work but have held off on grouting the joints. I have been talking to my friend again and he had a good idea to put up the seal coat and then groute them like regual tile and skip the whole groute bag **** show as the joints are 1/4" and the grout bag seems to clog up and I need to cut the end at 1/2".

Currently I do like how you can see the cracks with the dark shadow between them. If I go with grey I'm thinking the rocks will really blend however I think black is to dark so I'm going to aim for a dark grey.

What do you guys think about this method, maybe I should go with two seal coats does Siloxane PD give a really tight seal? I have never grouted slate tiles but I'm guessing the same process would work just iregular lines.

Here is a pic


I think it would be a mistake to try and grout that way, probably make more of a mess smearing grout on the face needing more washing...if your bag is clogging up use a plasticizer like FJN recommends and also make sure that your sand/cement is screened to make sure there is no rocks/chips/lumps that you mix into the bag...personally i dont like bags cause the mix needs to be a little looser and I usually make more of a mess. I prefer to use a hawk and mud that is a tad stiffer. This works better for me and i can work faster and make less mess on the stone face. People have their preferences and i dont have a lot of experience using a bag so i prefer not to use it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is offline  
Old 10-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #53
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,360
Rewards Points: 4,500

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Are you using pre bagged stuff, cuz that stuff is sh!t for grout bags. Get mason sand and type n powder. I would have just washed it when I was done.
JBM is offline  
Old 10-05-2016, 11:55 PM   #54
New Guy
 
RedBaronww1's Avatar
 
Trade: Log Homes
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 102

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Thanks guys, I will order some of that grease thats a great idea. I have been buying sand from a local supplier that screens it. Its very low clay content and the sand grains are fairly big both which probaly make it challenging to bag. I'm mixing it with lafarge concrete. Our hardwarestore doesnt bring in any type S OR N mix.

Looking at those caulking guns made me curiouse about the mortar guns. Anyone used those with any luck? I would imagin they would work better then a bag and with the differnt kinds of nosiles one would think you could get pretty accurate with it.

Still havent grouted I started doing another job while I think about how to best do this. Was thinking about waiting until spring to do it as were only 3-5 weeks before things really freeze up around here.
RedBaronww1 is offline  
Old 10-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #55
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,360
Rewards Points: 4,500

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


You might have to find a masonry supply yard. But even lowes and homedepot sell powdered type n mortar that you add sand to around here.

Im not sure what you mean by lafarge concrete?

If you cant get the mortar to go through a bag it will never work in a mortar gun.
JBM is offline  
Old 10-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #56
Renaissance Man
 
superseal's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 6,632
Rewards Points: 5,360

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


This is hawk and slicker country if I ever seen it.

I would do it all with a stiff 2.5:1 mix whipped into a consolidated lump using a 1/4" or 3/8" Rose type slicker.

A nice bucket trowel and hawk, a horsehair brush and a loop handle wire brush used at thumbprint hard for a perfect finish.

Take your horsehair on a final brush and you're done...no cleaning, no pre-seal and no mess.

Imagine me doing that in a raised ribbon technique...would knock your socks off.
__________________
"Under promise, over deliver and all that!" JBM
supersealconstruction.com

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
superseal is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
JBM (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #57
Pro
 
Windycity's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,378
Rewards Points: 5,798

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
You might have to find a masonry supply yard. But even lowes and homedepot sell powdered type n mortar that you add sand to around here.

Im not sure what you mean by lafarge concrete?

If you cant get the mortar to go through a bag it will never work in a mortar gun.


Lafarge is a manufacturer of bagged mortar cement...thats what i use as well as brixment..they are the two more common ones round here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
JBM (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #58
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,360
Rewards Points: 4,500

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Lafarge is a manufacturer of bagged mortar cement...thats what i use as well as brixment..they are the two more common ones round here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes we have it here as well, was wondering about the concrete part
JBM is offline  
Old 10-07-2016, 12:57 AM   #59
New Guy
 
RedBaronww1's Avatar
 
Trade: Log Homes
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 102

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


lol Sorry had a long day meant to say cement not concrete. That would sure make for problems in the grout bag.

Thanks for the tip superseal. I really like the low mess factor!

As for the Lafarge cement I dont think it has any special additives. On there site they say its "A general-purpose cement suitable for all uses for which the special properties of other types of portland cements are not required"

I find it a bit confusing as I always thought type N just referred to the ratio of cement to sand eg/ 3 parts sand to 1 part cement and type S 2:1. Does the Type N cement have special additives like polymers or Lyme?

Looking on there site Lafarge also makes type N and S and a whole bunch of other cements. Its interesting to me as no one around here use's anything but the general purpose cement. I tried convincing the hardware store to bring in some type N but they couldn't source anything out.

Last edited by RedBaronww1; 10-07-2016 at 01:15 AM.
RedBaronww1 is offline  
Old 10-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #60
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,360
Rewards Points: 4,500

Re: 12ft High 2" Stone (slate/shale) Veneer. Rock Fall Hazard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronww1 View Post
lol Sorry had a long day meant to say cement not concrete. That would sure make for problems in the grout bag.

Thanks for the tip superseal. I really like the low mess factor!

As for the Lafarge cement I dont think it has any special additives. On there site they say its "A general-purpose cement suitable for all uses for which the special properties of other types of portland cements are not required"

I find it a bit confusing as I always thought type N just referred to the ratio of cement to sand eg/ 3 parts sand to 1 part cement and type S 2:1. Does the Type N cement have special additives like polymers or Lyme?

Looking on there site Lafarge also makes type N and S and a whole bunch of other cements. Its interesting to me as no one around here use's anything but the general purpose cement. I tried convincing the hardware store to bring in some type N but they couldn't source anything out.
The link I will add shows that psi of the mortars as well as the ratios that make each. The higher the psi the less lime and more portland that is used.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/mo...es-d_1735.html

Advertisement

JBM is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing felt over block chimney for veneer stone Gary Birk Masonry 16 04-11-2016 10:00 PM
Installing veneer stone work on a metal building Jethroe Masonry 16 03-13-2016 05:48 PM
Stone veneer and code question N Carolina mkc1962 Masonry 16 02-11-2015 07:20 PM
Veneer Kitchen Stone ArtisticDecks-Bob Decks & Fencing 2 05-20-2014 11:38 AM
Finally upped some videos from last fall - in Afghanistan wallmaxx Framing 8 05-27-2012 11:05 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?