Trim Bid

Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #1

Trade: Remodels/trim carpenter
Rewards Points: 6

Trim Bid

Hello, my name is Tracy I'm getting ready to bid a couple of trim jobs. I I've had my own business for eight or nine years and it has mostly been remodeling jobs. I do not have a crew I am a sole proprietor in any trim work I've done in the past has mostly been while working for a contractor and have been paid hourly. As far as trim work in a remodeling situation I have been fortunate to be able to charge hourly. This is not the case with two potential jobs I am being asked to bid. I am pretty lost as to where to begin and have not even gone and have not even seen the jobs yet. I do know one is paint grade that will be prepped by painters. The other one is prefinished wood trim with pretty straightforward trim, header, divider bead, door jambs straight to the floor. Square 45 degree corners. Is there a formula and or door hanging price? And what would be a common price for baseboard and door trim I am going to go look at both of them tomorrow to get an idea as to how many doors, rooms, stair caps, stair kickboards Etc. Any advice would be appreciated thank you, Freedom flyer

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,504

Re: Trim Bid

Tracy, Asking prices is really looked on here. If you have been doing it by the hour in the past, you should have a pretty good ideal as to how long it is going to take you. figure it out that way add some for you overhead and profit. Add a little extra too for somethings you might miss. First time or two you might miss it , but you will figure out it out real quick if it is to much or to little. Hopefully it all works out for you.

How are things in Bozeman? Been down there a few times this past year. Nephew lives there and was helping him.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
shanewreckd (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,492

Randy nailed it. If you have an hourly rate that works for you than figure what it takes per door to hang and case and then figure per room or per foot the time it takes to run base. Multiply that out and add overhead and profit to your number. Type it up and submit.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
shanewreckd (10-11-2017)

Old 10-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #4

Things are really booming here, un believable actually. Really hard to see it change. I grew up here and the people who are moving here are not nice. Arrogant, attitude of entitlement, hating where they came from but trying to change it and make it like where they came from if that makes any sense. Every gravel road needs to be paved now so they don't get their Porsche SUV"s, Escalades, Audi's, and Tesla's dirty. Then every area should be weapons restricted because someone might carry a fire arm next to their property. Kind of a bummer but the construction industry is just crazy.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 716

I was bidding a trim job but the friggin cops closed that house down.

On another note...most of the jack-holes going there are probably from the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

I know I would like to leave this place and I for sure don't want to make another place like it.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
Seven-Delta-FortyOne (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #6

I think they are moving in from all over, with the way you can do business over the internet they can all work from their 10,000 square foot homes, I worked with a friend of mine a few years back on a 10,000 square ft. house putting in custom closets, the home owner was in the #3 position of Sears. It was a home they use 3 or 4 times a year, ski off the back porch down to a lift that would take them up to Lone Mountain at Big Sky. Across the road there was a crew that was working on a 22,000 square foot house that only had 5 Bedrooms, each one like a master suite with Onyx shower walls, counter tops and floors. 12 foot ceilings with 24 inches of crown moulding, it was ludicrous. On top of that the home owner was building 2 of the same house at the same time one in Tennessee and one here in Montana, flying the work crews between the two houses. The money here is just insane. We would not be able to buy something and live here if we had not gotten into our house when we did. When we got into our house we paid 120,000 we could get 375,000 now, our neighbors put their house up Monday it sold within 24hrs, they got 10,000 over their asking price. It's almost a 1000 square feet smaller than ours with one less bedroom and it sold for 345,000. But if we were to sell ours and try to property and get into something else we'd be upside down. Now we look like every other city, with big box stores, chain restaurants and down town boutiques. Million dollar 2 bedroom apartments. Goofy.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 716

I've been to Bozeman, I love that town.

I have family in the Flathead lake area.

There are plenty of places surrounding it that are probably not as pricey as the city.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Andy.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 1,194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomflyer View Post
Things are really booming here, un believable actually. Really hard to see it change. I grew up here and the people who are moving here are not nice. Arrogant, attitude of entitlement, hating where they came from but trying to change it and make it like where they came from if that makes any sense. Every gravel road needs to be paved now so they don't get their Porsche SUV"s, Escalades, Audi's, and Tesla's dirty. Then every area should be weapons restricted because someone might carry a fire arm next to their property. Kind of a bummer but the construction industry is just crazy.
That's really sad. I love Montana and Idaho. It's always kind of been my escape valve.

I had hoped that the whole American Redoubt thing was going to save that area. Guess the yuppies will eventually find and phuk up every place.

Delta
And Those Who Just Have No Skill At All, Become Critics.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #9

Still working these bids, maybe making it harder on myself than necessary. One house is about 2500 square ft., paint grade trim will be provided which painters will prep for paint, has 3 exterior doors, 15 interior doors, of which one is a pocket door, 2 are french doors, 12 windows, 5 will be wrapped have a sill with an apron the rest are cased with 6" header, with divider bead, base is 6" I came up with about $2700 not to exceed $3200

The other house is roughly 3000 square feet. The pre-finished wood trim will be provided, 5 exterior doors, 18 interior doors, 1 of which is a pocket door, 1 set of french doors, and 3 sets of by-pass doors. 21 windows, 5 of which will be wrapped with a sill and apron the rest will be cased with divider bead and 6" header also 6" base trim. Also wood stair cap going up the steps on both sides to upstairs, came up with $3250 not to exceed $3650. Am I close on these or over what I should be? I went through and tried to figure an estimate of my time. I don't want to insult but also don't want to choke my self any feed back would be appreciated need to have this in by today. Thanks FF

All trim materials will be provided minus shims, nails, and glue.

Last edited by Freedomflyer; 10-17-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomflyer View Post
Still working these bids, maybe making it harder on myself than necessary. One house is about 2500 square ft., paint grade trim will be provided which painters will prep for paint, has 3 exterior doors, 15 interior doors, of which one is a pocket door, 2 are french doors, 12 windows, 5 will be wrapped have a sill with an apron the rest are cased with 6" header, with divider bead, base is 6" I came up with about $2700 not to exceed $3200

The other house is roughly 3000 square feet. The pre-finished wood trim will be provided, 5 exterior doors, 18 interior doors, 1 of which is a pocket door, 1 set of french doors, and 3 sets of by-pass doors. 21 windows, 5 of which will be wrapped with a sill and apron the rest will be cased with divider bead and 6" header also 6" base trim. Also wood stair cap going up the steps on both sides to upstairs, came up with $3250 not to exceed $3650. Am I close on these or over what I should be? I went through and tried to figure an estimate of my time. I don't want to insult but also don't want to choke my self any feed back would be appreciated need to have this in by today. Thanks FF

All trim materials will be provided minus shims, nails, and glue.
Do you have to hang exterior doors too? I don't understand what's going on with the windows? Do they come with jambs applied? Only The 5 wrapped ones are wrapped in drywall and will get a stool and apron? Door casing 3 piece? Windows 4 piece? Mitered? Do you have to supply anything if you run out of supplied materials?

No newels? Stair treads? Cabinets? Or built ins?

Edit:
I just caught "divider bead" so windows are 5 pcs.. Doors are 4.

Last edited by Big Johnson; 10-17-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 998

Sounds light to me but I am in a very different area, when you figured your time dont forget to multiply by 1.5 Everything always takes longer than you expect it too. AT least if you do that math you have some cushion room.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anderson For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #12
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,492

Dollars are somewhat irrelevant due to different areas...how many man hours did you figure?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,504

Did you figure this pretty tight? Are you good at trim work and fairly quick? Given the boom in Bozeman I would raise it maybe 15-20%. I would not give a range of cost, one price unless there are change orders. Remember you have overhead to cover that should not come from what your think your labor costs are.

Advertisement