Small Scale Miner/Demo From High Sierra - New Member Introductions - Contractor Talk

Small Scale Miner/Demo From High Sierra

Old 02-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Trade: Demolition
Rewards Points: 40

Small Scale Miner/Demo From High Sierra

Hi gang... I am a small scale miner from Lake Tahoe. I do both mining and rock breaking in my spare time. I have used several rock breaking systems and I have found one I like. I want to share the good news. There is a lot of granite boulders around my area and the granite boulders often finds itself in back hoe trenches, under foundations where repairs are taking place, and next to houses and near deck footings. Low and behold, I am called in to make big rocks small and manageable. I have no formal training and I use an ATF approved (no license needed) system that makes me a rock breaking machine. Looking forward to share stories with others here about my experiences blowing up rocks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 7,570

Re: Small Scale Miner/Demo From High Sierra

Welcome!

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #3

Thank you, I hope to learn and share here. Looks like lots of talented folks show up here.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,925

Welcome to CT!
Old 02-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 2,194

Welcome !

You related to Edgar "KB" Montrose aka KABOOM!?
Attached Thumbnails
Small Scale Miner/Demo from High Sierra-edgar-kb-montrose-kaboom.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #6

Uncle!!!!

He taught me everything I know.....

Last edited by Minerrick; 02-10-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Clarification
The Following User Says Thank You to Minerrick For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #7

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2

Welcome aboard.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #8
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 6,708

Howdy
Old 02-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerrick View Post
Hi gang... I am a small scale miner from Lake Tahoe. I do both mining and rock breaking in my spare time. I have used several rock breaking systems and I have found one I like. I want to share the good news. There is a lot of granite boulders around my area and the granite boulders often finds itself in back hoe trenches, under foundations where repairs are taking place, and next to houses and near deck footings. Low and behold, I am called in to make big rocks small and manageable. I have no formal training and I use an ATF approved (no license needed) system that makes me a rock breaking machine. Looking forward to share stories with others here about my experiences blowing up rocks.
Welcome, would love to hear about some of these techniques. I have a property that has a lot of large boulders we'd like to break down.

Do you ever use the chemical method where one drills a hole, puts in the substance which expands when it cures?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Welcome, would love to hear about some of these techniques. I have a property that has a lot of large boulders we'd like to break down.

Do you ever use the chemical method where one drills a hole, puts in the substance which expands when it cures?
There are several types of ATF approved devices. The expansion agent works ok, if you don't mind waiting overnight for the break to occur. I am not that patient. Another device I have used and am familiar with is the Micro Blaster- it would be decent for cracking smaller rocks... I guess. I had some issues with it working with hard rocks. The one I use at my mining claim and for breaking all sized rocks is the http://www.sierrrablaster.com/rss-landing[/URL] You drill a 10mm hole with an SDS drill about 14" deep (takes about a minute), then insert a $1.49 charge, put the "head" in the hole, and set it off. Will completely break apart a 2' diameter rock in pieces without flyrock or big explosion. I use it with my backhoe when digging ditches and I hit a big rock... a few minutes later it's cracked and I am on my way. The cool thing about this device is that it can do up to 10 blasts simultaneously. Check out the website, videos on the website, and also youtube videos. A lot of small scale miners are using it since a blasting license is a big pain to get.
Rio (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 2,194

Quote:
Uncle!!!!

He taught me everything I know.....
Mah bestest life long friend (now deceased) was a licensed blaster. Bat chit crazy.

But man, his answer to every problem was KABOOM!

And he was purty good at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Rio (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #12
Designer/Contractor

Quote:
There are several types of ATF approved devices. The expansion agent works ok, if you don't mind waiting overnight for the break to occur. I am not that patient. Another device I have used and am familiar with is the Micro Blaster- it would be decent for cracking smaller rocks... I guess. I had some issues with it working with hard rocks. The one I use at my mining claim and for breaking all sized rocks is the http://www.sierrrablaster.com/rss-landing[/URL] You drill a 10mm hole with an SDS drill about 14" deep (takes about a minute), then insert a $1.49 charge, put the "head" in the hole, and set it off. Will completely break apart a 2' diameter rock in pieces without flyrock or big explosion. I use it with my backhoe when digging ditches and I hit a big rock... a few minutes later it's cracked and I am on my way. The cool thing about this device is that it can do up to 10 blasts simultaneously. Check out the website, videos on the website, and also youtube videos. A lot of small scale miners are using it since a blasting license is a big pain to get.
Gonna have to check it out! Is it very noisy?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Gonna have to check it out! Is it very noisy?
There are a bunch of youtube videos of small scale miners using it. It's a hot item in that industry and it hasn't caught on anywhere else.

When it is uncovered, it sounds like a .22 rifle shot. I throw a painters tarp over it and it sounds like "pft..." No one would even know what you are doing. It would be handy working outside around foundations, or under or in homes working on foundations in crowded urban areas as it wouldn't draw any attention to what you are doing. The cool thing is the charge is super safe. I have a video of the inventor holding it in his hand and "setting it off". It just looks like a sparkler, just sparks and makes a snapping noise. It needs to have a solid structure surrounding it for it to explode, otherwise it doesn't do anything.

There is nothing like it in the US and I have used it on my mining claim for over 3 years with zero issues. Probably done 500 blasts.

One of the other reasons it is so safe is the charges can be shipped via UPS without containment. If one somehow sets off in the box, the others won't be affected- and it doesn't even rip the cardboard boxes. I've heard that some powder guys are actually using these charges rather than caps as the transport of these is so simple and it has the same desired affect as the caps on REAL powder.

Last edited by Minerrick; 02-14-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Clarification
Rio (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #14
Designer/Contractor

I'll definitely check it out, sounds like it might be just what I need. Thanks so much for the good information and once again, welcome to the forum, lots of really knowledgeable people here!
Old 02-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #15

Thanks, I hope to learn a lot from you guys and maybe we can all learn from each other.

Advertisement

Rio (02-17-2018)