Sink Or Swim

Old 01-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

Sink Or Swim

Well, this is going to be a little different maybe than you all are used to.

I have absolutely no direct experience in contracting, but I was just hired by a GC as a project coordinator. I used to be a hotel manager and this was the firm that renovated the hotel I was managing. As we were wrapping up the project they offered me a job and being as I've been wanting to make a career change for a while, I took it.

I'm learning a lot everyday but its going to take a little while till all of this ceases to be foreign to me.

I'm hoping you all don't mind me joining you and learning as much as I can about my new profession.

Anthony

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 7,400

Re: Sink Or Swim

Good luck. However, I don't see anything but wailing and woe for you. At least for the first few years or 5.

I've seen non construction guys move into a company and it usually isn't pretty. Trades guys aren't maids, janitors and clerks.

Construction is a lifestyle. You will need to learn that fast.

All that being said, I wish you good luck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

brickhook (02-10-2018), Pircher (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,115

Welcome to CT!
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Pircher (01-26-2018)

Old 01-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #4

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,046

Welcome to CT.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #5

Trade: excavating/ drywall/ currently remodeling
Rewards Points: 80

I hope you enjoy yourself. Construction is a hard game - lots of money invested. Be concise, get to the point quickly. And above everything : KNOW YOUR BLUEPRINTS AND SPECBOOK (assuming you are using some) They must be your LIFE. You will stand or fall based on them. Good luck!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 7,536

I have to say this is an interesting story....I cant wait to hear more

Welcome to CT!
The Following User Says Thank You to brickhook For This Useful Post:
kirkdc (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

Welcome, I can't even imagine how to do something like that with no construction knowledge.

It's like me taking a job to oversee the engineering of building spaceships for NASA yet I nothing about spaceships.

I'm just being realistic here. You'll have to dig in deep so I wish you well.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,124

If you've run a hotel you know what it's like to kick people in the ass all day every day.

The people you will be kicking now are likely tougher and have more money in their pockets which makes them harder to motivate than a bus boy or a maid.

Like any supervision you just have to figure out what they are afraid of and apply pressure accordingly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

I'd like to be a hotel manager someday. Dress nice, stay clean and enjoy the continental breakfasts.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:04 PM   #10
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 8,880

Welcome. You'll be fine, I'm sure.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:00 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 398

This is a good site. You said you have "no direct experience" in contracting. Does this mean you have no experience at all, or is there some indirect experience?

Keep in mind, when you post, some will be hard on you. Not nearly as hard as the workers you are about to try and manage, but a special type of construction hard. Hard to explain, but you will find out soon.

As far as managing workers, I think you will find it more difficult than your previous job, but management is management. All of your basic skills still apply.

As far as running jobs or reading blueprints, with no experience. That's going to be tough. Not to say you can't do it, I just think it will be tough.
You never know. I know guys that know construction well, but can't read blueprints. Maybe you are someone that can read blueprints well, but just don't swing a hammer.

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #12

Trade: Residential Contracting
Rewards Points: 126

Tell you what, if youíre on here i think youíll be alright. As long as youíre humble and put in the time to study, learn and just ask the right questions. Consume as much as you can, this website is a great start.

Why am I optimistic? I completely BSed my way into my first job!!

I got a job as a commercial superintendent doing small office buildiuts and TI. Renovated my home with a contractor that was non existant. House turned out great and I figured what the hell, wasnít happy in an office so BSed my way into that job.

Got GC license three years later, every two years I upgraded companies, into better and better companies as the resume looked better. By year 6 I was taking on a PM/ super role of 6-8 million dollars of Home Construction at a time.

Fake it till you make it!! Read all you can, befriend key role models and ask the right questions!

Advertisement