Shock And Awe In Kentucky

Old 10-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #1

Trade: Home improvement

Shock And Awe In Kentucky

Needing guidance... currently been in the active military for 6 years. Within 3 months after I get back from a deployment I will be out of the military and working with my father. My father has owned a home improvement business for over 15 years. Never really finding success, he has just been floating along. All though a littler over a year ago he landed a very nice gig, traveling across the world installing seats in theaters and stadiums. He has been talking about me coming home and managing all of the houses locally with his crew. Yikes!!! I know nothing about construction and I?m supposed to be running things while he?s out of state?!? So what I?m really asking is if there?s any webisite or anything that I could learn simple conrstucion with the 12 months I have left in the army?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 2

Re: Shock And Awe In Kentucky

other more successful people will help you with that here...let me just thank you for your service

Advertisement

A&E Exteriors (10-30-2017), KAP (10-30-2017), Robie (10-29-2017), Warren (10-29-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 12:33 AM   #3
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,262

This is going to sound dumb...

I started with the big orange book at home depot. Then I bought the plumbing one and the electrical one. They get you the basic understanding which will help when you need to troubleshoot.

Take your time on your first few jobs. It's not speed you are wanting, but the end result. YouTube is a great ally as well.

Constantly be reading, look for licensed guys you can pick their brains.

Drywall screws and spray foam are never the answer. And no, it doesn't need more silicone caulk either.
A&E Exteriors (10-30-2017)

Old 10-30-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Rewards Points: 9,840

Welcome, thank you, and this place is a wealth of information
Old 10-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
New Guy

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 150

Just take your time to study the system flow of your new work. And yes, keep on reading books and watching videos in youtube for some tips to help you speed up your learning.