What Truck Is Right For Me?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Eckwitte

Trade: Residential Renovation
Rewards Points: 25
Question

What Truck Is Right For Me?

I'm about to buy a truck and I don't know how much i should be spending.

Here's my position

Wage:20.50/h
Rent: $500 room in a house
Years in the industry: 3 fulltime/growing up summer job
Job: Residential renovations
Position: boss' right hand man/ supervise 2 other workers
Current vehicle: Car
I have alot of my own tools

I will get a raise when i get the truck.

I want a 4 door 1/2 ton with a short box. that way I can fold the rear seats up and put power tools in the cab where its safe and use the short box for the odd home depot run of whatever were missing.

I need help deciding how much i should spend on the truck? how old should I go? how many miles/kilo?

Right now I'm thinking an 06 F-150 supercrew with around 60 000 kilometres. Would you go older? newer? extended cab? quarter ton?

any advice is appreciated,

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,238

Re: What Truck Is Right For Me?

You could look into the Chevy or GMC 1500 crew cabs . I'm not sure about up there, but here they are always giving crazy deals on those! Nice trucks too. If you can get 0% intrest or a good incentive it may be worth buying new instead of used. I know used vehicles are usually a higher intrest rate and it may even out.

Dave

Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Yard Boi

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 250

How about a 95 to 97 F-350 XLT, 5 speed, 7.3 Powerstroke crew cab, 4x4, SRW? Nice ones have been holding at $9K to $14K for the last few years. Joe Hall Ford in Lewiston has a really clean 96 for $18K. Worth every penny. Get a truck like that, take care of it, and when you want something different you won't lost too much money at resale.

Course that 07+ Chevy bodystyle is real nice. Chevy hit a homerun with that trucks styling.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,018

Driven a truck for the last 25 years. I added an old 86 Dodge Van to my "fleet" in April and I don't know how I ever got along without one. When its time to trade again I'm going with a '05/06 van.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Yard Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC sawdaddy View Post
Driven a truck for the last 25 years. I added an old 86 Dodge Van to my "fleet" in April and I don't know how I ever got along without one. When its time to trade again I'm going with a '05/06 van.
Attached Thumbnails
What Truck is right for me?-free_candy.jpg  
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,124

Most guys around here in your situation are driving an extra cab shortbed 4X4 with a ladder rack and or a cap to keep things dry. What make is up to you but i can say GM has the better gas milage. Usually if these guys head out on their own you will see them towing a small trailer behind the same truck.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
How about a 95 to 97 F-350 XLT, 5 speed, 7.3 Powerstroke crew cab, 4x4, SRW? Nice ones have been holding at $9K to $14K for the last few years. Joe Hall Ford in Lewiston has a really clean 96 for $18K. Worth every penny. Get a truck like that, take care of it, and when you want something different you won't lost too much money at resale.

Course that 07+ Chevy bodystyle is real nice. Chevy hit a homerun with that trucks styling.

You've probably got one you would unload real cheap, dontchya bob?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 636

Sounds like you want a 2009 f150 screw with the 5.5ft bed and rear flat load floor. Can pick up some really good deals on XL's, STXand XLT's and they are the best half ton on the market. I seen people get them for as little as 15k also. But it all comes down to budget.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,710

...I have been thinking about this post during some down time....it sounds to me like all you really need is a Ranger, S10 or the sort. Get an extended cab, 6 foot bed, 4x4 with the V6. Two 48" side boxes with some half assed organization can hold alot. Put an over the cab rack with 48" between the side rails on and you would be be suprized at what you can carry.

I have carried 12' boards of rock on mine....a 4 and a half foot by ten foot coffer for a dining room....a reception desk....hundreds of 20 awg 10 foot studs....if you are getting by with a car right now, a "mini" truck will sure do the trick. I got my rack off CL for $100, my side boxes for $140 a pair off CL. You can get a decent 4x4 ranger on there for $3000-$4000....For under five thousand dollars you can have a good work truck....I have 200,000 miles on mine and she is still going strong.

This is how much truck sits now... Prob getting it lettered in a few weeks....but I first want to fix the dents below the lower body line.

I used it to carry everything you see installed in this office. The desk was brought over when it was raining to boot...still got it there dry...wrapped the parts in plastic. The 4x8 cherry panels where carried on top the rack. I did the panels and most of the trim in the morning one day, and the desk intall another. It took two trips.

When I had the crossover box in there as well things got a little crazy when I needed to carry the table saw and 12" slider.... but I took that out and it solved the problem.

This is it carrying the coffer...used some scrap dia lumber to make a cradel to hold it....it is also before i had side boxes.

I use my truck everyday to run my business...so if you are a right hand man that only has to sometimes go get things from home depot and currently drive a car then it should be plenty over kill for you. Save the money, use it to buy something fun...

Last edited by TBFGhost; 09-10-2009 at 12:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
Eckwitte (09-10-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Eckwitte

Thanks for the great advice, you have a really good set up and it seems to work well for you. the thing is i really want to go full size with 4 doors so that i can keep all power tools, plumbing kit, electrical kit, tool box, etc... in the truck, i also want to keep the bed empty with no cap or cover...i hate crawling in there. im leaning towards an 06 4.6L f150 super crew 60 000k they are like 18-20 grand canadian. I just dont want to loose a ton of money...
Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
Dufus Extrodinaire

Trade: Residential Renovations
Rewards Points: 150

What part of Ontario are you at?

I always get concerned when doling out money for a truck with no warranty, especially in the 20k range. Have yu thought about maybe getting into a lease - what I am getting at here is taking over a lease that someone else has. Take a look on http://www.leasebusters.ca

The reason I suggest this is there are a ton of trucks that people lease that they need to get out of. If you went with a 08 with a low rate with about 2 years left on the lease you can save big time compared to buying used at bank rate. Then you can either buyitout or look for another takeover.

I had seen a 2008 Dodge 2500 4x4 loaded with diesel that leased out for 790 a month - the woman had put 8 grand down at signing and needed out quick. I was going to contact her but the truck was gone in less than 24 hours - normally that truck is in the 1k to 1100 a month.

Most trucks that you describe go for 450 to 550 a month all in/ with warranty
Eckwitte (09-11-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
Yard Boi

Check out the Mitsubishi Raider, there's crazy deals on those right now. Slow sales, Mitsu is pulling the plug. It's a badge engineered Dodge Dakota.
The Following User Says Thank You to HusqyPro For This Useful Post:
Eckwitte (09-11-2009)
Old 09-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: scab
Rewards Points: 500

I'm thinking a Ford Ranger, Dodge 1500, Chevy 1500, F150 is perfect for this new kid.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #14

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 75

there are really good deals on chev/gmc work truck packages. $8500 off msrp or something like that. A local dealer had a bunch of '09 reg. cab 2wd for $14,500 cdn.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
Yard Boi

You general construction guys get all the cool toys for your trucks that landscapers don't.
Attached Thumbnails
What Truck is right for me?-bedslide-20contractor-20grade-20workman-20big.jpg  
Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Perfessional Contracter
Rewards Points: 502

I think what TBFGhost has would suit you fine, side boxes and a ladder rack.

The ability to carry 16' lumber on the rack and 4X8 in the bed make you more valuable to your boss; that extra cab is best for babies (?).

My first work truck (age 25) was a rusty Nissan with a cross box and ladder rack. Cheap dependable money maker. Don't let your ego get in the way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davitk For This Useful Post:
72chevy4x4 (09-12-2009), Eckwitte (09-11-2009)
Old 09-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 5,054

Get a 1500 Suburban or Yukon XL.

You can get a lot of crap inside one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I don't normally talk to people like I talk to you, however you have the little immature schoolgirl mentality so this is new to me.
Warner Remodeling
Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Perfessional Contracter
Rewards Points: 502

Hey Ribs for Lunch,

If you are going to spend serious money on a full size truck, forget a half ton; once it's full of tools you have no payload.

Just my $.02, coming from a guy who drove only half ton pick ups until buying a one ton van this spring.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #19
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 5,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by davitk View Post
Hey Ribs for Lunch,

If you are going to spend serious money on a full size truck, forget a half ton; once it's full of tools you have no payload.

Just my $.02, coming from a guy who drove only half ton pick ups until buying a one ton van this spring.

Yup, thats why I got a 3/4 ton 'Burban, plus driving a big block is fun!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I don't normally talk to people like I talk to you, however you have the little immature schoolgirl mentality so this is new to me.
Warner Remodeling
Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #20
Eckwitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHR View Post
What part of Ontario are you at?

I always get concerned when doling out money for a truck with no warranty, especially in the 20k range. Have yu thought about maybe getting into a lease - what I am getting at here is taking over a lease that someone else has. Take a look on http://www.leasebusters.ca

The reason I suggest this is there are a ton of trucks that people lease that they need to get out of. If you went with a 08 with a low rate with about 2 years left on the lease you can save big time compared to buying used at bank rate. Then you can either buyitout or look for another takeover.

I had seen a 2008 Dodge 2500 4x4 loaded with diesel that leased out for 790 a month - the woman had put 8 grand down at signing and needed out quick. I was going to contact her but the truck was gone in less than 24 hours - normally that truck is in the 1k to 1100 a month.

Most trucks that you describe go for 450 to 550 a month all in/ with warranty

I'm in the Mississauga area, i knew about lease busters just hadent thought of them. as of right now i dont drive far to get to our sites but who knows if it will always be like that...i know the extra k's are a killer and thats why people are trying to get out of their lease alot of the time. i'll check it out though. would be nice to drive an almost new truck around every couple years

Tags
f150, truck