Used Trucks/utility Beds/racks?

Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Kingstud

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 75

Used Trucks/utility Beds/racks?

What all do I need to know?

I've been looking at used trucks w/ utility beds, my 1/2 ton is being crushed by my gear and the job box in back is difficult to open with the lumber rack.

So the local dealer has
an 97 f350 dually, top opening box's with sliding top cap, tow package I was thinking the dually was too much truck.
an 01 dodge 2500 with low stahl box, used to have racks on it. but I kind like the idea of locking up the whole bed. I work in some bad neighborhoods sometimes.

01 dodge 2500 top opening with sliding top cap. leaning towards this rig but don't know what it takes to put racks on, cant seem to find used ones.

none have racks

Last edited by Kingstud; 07-11-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: retired
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Used Trucks/utility Beds/racks?

I'd definitely lean towards the dually - because it's a Ford and a dually!

As far as racks are concerned, you can have them custom made to fit almost any truck.

Actually, I think there is a site sponsor/forum member that owns a welding fabrication shop and I believe he has built a rack or two for some other members.

EDIT: why are you looking at utility/service bodies? What type of work are you doing? Did you think about a truck and trailer (what I use). Or perhaps a van for service work? A box truck is in my opinion a better alternative to a utility body for general remodeling.

The Following User Says Thank You to CookeCarpentry For This Useful Post:
Stforeman (08-03-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
Kingstud

I just looked at them again. the ford is actually a 97 f350 but their only asking $4889. the dodge I liked had 211k on it, my buddy (a service manager) says the dodge is clapped out, go for the ford.

Most of my work is out of town, that 460 could kill me.
Yeah I do general remodeling and have to carry a lot of stuff. Foundation to finish... I usually leave concrete finishing, tile, drywall and plumbing stuff etc behind unless I know I need it that day.

I would love to leave my job box on site but some of these neighborhoods are real bad.

Trailer, I like the idea but have no where to keep it. I'm going to have to sell my jeep to get this, so it will be my primary vehicle. Which is ok, we use the wife's Commander for most excursions but I would still need to pick up the kids at school now and again etc.

Van is very practical but I would hate to have that as "my car" same goes for the box van as great as that would be. They have a box van I looked at for $2800, theres no way my wife would let me park that in front of the house.
So yeah the truck is a compromise. I would actually prefer a 3/4 ton fleetside with bed box's but wouldnt work for me.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
Pro

In my opinion, you will regret not getting the box truck or trailer.

I've worked out of vans, trucks, service bodies, box trucks and a truck and trailer.

The truck and trailer is the best set-up I have. If I didn't need to carry so much equipment and at times material, I would have stuck with a box truck.

Box truck is usually less expensive than a service body, ability to customize interior however you want and it is great for advertising.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,122
Send a message via AIM to Cole82

I will second the truck and trailer if you are RENO guy. We also added a van to our company for service/warrenty work.

I am not so concerned about miles as most because if it has been taken care of it really doesn't matter. You could have a 2 year old truck with 30k miles and be beat to piss that won't last. You could also have a 8 year old truck with 200k on it that has been well taken care of and last a lot longer.

Personally I would get the ford. We have had ford with over 300k on them and you couldn't tell it was more than a year old.

The boss of awesome
Old 07-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
Personally I would get the ford. We have had ford with over 300k on them and you couldn't tell it was more than a year old.
I had an 88 F-250 that I sold with 310k on it, got $1,500 for it.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Kingstud

A negative on the box truck is inability to haul long materials. You guys got me thinking... I will check craigslist for trailers. a 3/4 ton fleetside w/ boxs, rack and trailer would be ideal.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstud View Post
A negative on the box truck is inability to haul long materials. You guys got me thinking... I will check craigslist for trailers. a 3/4 ton fleetside w/ boxs, rack and trailer would be ideal.
How so?

I used to have a 12' box, open the cab hatch and you could easily fit 16'. Also, just get a roof rack.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,124

I would look here, there are some decent deals on work trucks and they have a decent search for specific brands and states. http://www.truckpaper.com/
Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
Kingstud

cooke- when you say box I'm thinking of the delivery truck I looked at. there is no pass thru and the top is at least 12' high. I ran into some guys in the HD parking lot they were pimpin an old uhaul truck...BRILLIANT!

oops Ill check it out woodchuck
Old 08-02-2010, 02:23 AM   #11

Trade: PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY
Rewards Points: 10

I urgently want to buy large trucks and containers. I have searched do many and found some but they are very expensive and i can't afford these expensive trucks. Do any one have cheap deal for trucks and containers then kindly reply me