Trailer Question: Pj Vs. Big Tex Vs. Texas Bragg.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #1

Trade: earthwork
Rewards Points: 10

Trailer Question: Pj Vs. Big Tex Vs. Texas Bragg.

Looking for a 14k gooseneck. Anybody have input on which trailer is the best? Any experiences?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,122
Send a message via AIM to Cole82

Re: Trailer Question: Pj Vs. Big Tex Vs. Texas Bragg.

Never heard of the other two but PJ's are very nice. Way back when I use to have a smaller single axle pj utility trailer, it held up great.

Cole

The boss of awesome
Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
GC

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Big Tex is one of the better for sure. Just sold mine last week was very well made.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 562

I have a big tex 6k open car hauler and it is a piece of junk IMHO!
rusting bad, wires broken etc. dealer I bought it from is out of business, 2 years old and looks to be 15...lol
Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
master hacker of wood

Trade: restoration carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,604

i have a big tex sitting in my driveway brand new, its my buddies he brought over his baby excavator on it for me to use.

looks like a well made trailer imo, i will tell yeah more when i put my car on it to get its exhaust done.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #6

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader View Post
Looking for a 14k gooseneck. Anybody have input on which trailer is the best? Any experiences?
Stay away from anything Big Tex makes. They are junk and they do not stand behind their products.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,056

I have two PJ 14ft/14yrd dump trailers. One is a 04 the other is a 09. The 04 had a lip on the back rear that debris would catch on. Last Fall while dumping about 50 squares it let go. Over the Winter had a friend modify it and it's more like the 09. Other than brakes and the hinge for the front compartment is been a great trailer. Would guess it's been used 400+ times.

Have an H&H tilt bed and think the quality of the PJ's are better.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #8

Trade: Fence, Excavation, landscape, erosion control.
Rewards Points: 25

I personally will not ever buy a PJ trailer again. Lighter metal than should be used, tires were not as heavy duty as shouldve been d not e rated and the welds would not hold up to abuse.

Delta trailers are Built for abuse and heavy duty manf. I always thought big tex were too but have never owned one so couldnt speak for em. Top Hat is another we have and its not as heavy duty as id like but its held up to a ton of abuse and overweight loads. So its more a preference of how heavy duty you want or if you just like a good paint job. Just do the research for yourself and find out what you think would work for you.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge07around View Post
I personally will not ever buy a PJ trailer again. Lighter metal than should be used, tires were not as heavy duty as shouldve been d not e rated and the welds would not hold up to abuse.

Delta trailers are Built for abuse and heavy duty manf. I always thought big tex were too but have never owned one so couldnt speak for em. Top Hat is another we have and its not as heavy duty as id like but its held up to a ton of abuse and overweight loads. So its more a preference of how heavy duty you want or if you just like a good paint job. Just do the research for yourself and find out what you think would work for you.
All 10 tires that came with my PJ's were E load tires. That's funny you bring up tires because this past week I finaly replaced the 5 (w/spare) original tires on the 04 PJ. Bought in late 03 replaced late 10, not bad for all the wear and tear on them! 2 were saved as back up spares, lots of thread but some small cracks. The 09 PJ has slightly smaller tires than the 04 but have an additional 450# rating per tire. Those tires (made in China) however are not holding up like the original tires on the 04.

The PJ you bought must have been a small trailer?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #10

I dont own any small trailers, the smallest is a gooseneck 25' deck. Well thats good to hear that someone has had good luck with em, its like anything theres the good and bad stories. Just like everything ten people could love em and 2 hate just depends on the use etc.

well thats good about the tires as well, mine was a newer one and was not at all impressed. I recently bought new tires on our bigger trailer and I too was disappointed MADE IN CHINA right on the sidewalls of the tires!
Old 09-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge07around View Post

Delta trailers are Built for abuse and heavy duty manf.
i think delta's are a piece of crap. we have a 20' skid trailer where the rear 16' tilts. NOTHING but issues with this thing

(Denick) The only good things to learn are the things worth teaching others
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
Pro

I think it's the trailer dealerships that put the rims and tires on the trailers. Most come stacked on semi's without tires and rims.

Guess a dealer will put garbage tires on it so they can offer the lowest price trailer?

I found that a real trailer tire is much more expensive than a typical truck tire. For 4 BFG commercial's it was $600 out the door (after rebate). For real trailer tires it would have been just over $1,000.

Ya, D-loads on a 25+ foot trailer, that's not good!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #13

Never delt with the delta tilt trailers...or any tilt trailers. I got a 32' delta really heavy duty gooseneck and I have had no complaints and it has handled alot of abuse.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 AM   #14

Yeah prob. with the tires cause then they can just keep the extra profit...who knows.

Anyone know if Bradford Built Truckbeds are any good?? Id like one but dont know anyone with one, only the cm beds...
Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,202

a little feedback on an 08 off brand 7x14 dump trailer I've had for 2.5yrs. after a year it started to show a little rust here and there through the powder coat finish and now after 2.5yrs the seams and where panels meet (near fenders for example) are getting rust bubbles under the paint to a large degree. It's always parked outside, but I had hoped it would not fail this miserably after two years-glad the tractor finish is higher quality :-)

so, not sure I'm sold on powder coat finish. maybe the factory will sell a second coat of paint or guy and drive to a equipment painter nad consider an investment of a better paint job for longevity's sake. on the flip side, I've bumped it so many times with the loader/tractor and beaten it up quite a bit I've gotten my money's worth. have considered selling it for $4000 and buying a new one.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
a little feedback on an 08 off brand 7x14 dump trailer I've had for 2.5yrs. after a year it started to show a little rust here and there through the powder coat finish and now after 2.5yrs the seams and where panels meet (near fenders for example) are getting rust bubbles under the paint to a large degree. It's always parked outside, but I had hoped it would not fail this miserably after two years-glad the tractor finish is higher quality :-)

so, not sure I'm sold on powder coat finish. maybe the factory will sell a second coat of paint or guy and drive to a equipment painter nad consider an investment of a better paint job for longevity's sake. on the flip side, I've bumped it so many times with the loader/tractor and beaten it up quite a bit I've gotten my money's worth. have considered selling it for $4000 and buying a new one.
I don't think it would last long at $4,000. Dump trailers seem to hold there value rather well.

BTW, seeing some larger rust bubbles in the 09 PJ but don't really get bothered by it. It's very thick steel and doubt the rust would ever eat through it.