Smoking Duramax

Old 10-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor

Smoking Duramax

I have a 2003 Chevy 1 ton with the Duramax, and after about 105k, I have noticed it has began to smoke at idle...not black smoke, but just a light grey diesel smoke...My buddy running the Dyno shop that custom edits diesels said it has a bad injector..the guys at the Chevy house say replace all the injectors, and I understand there is a recall out now for the injectors (I haven't seen one) but another guy got his replaced under warranty. Anyone else having this problem?

I love the way this truck pulls..the fuel mileage is great @ 16 loaded / 19 average....cannot complain. Pulls great, handles great, and is comfortable to drive....I have never had a truck I liked as much, but if this is an indicator of things to come, I will trade back to a Dodge...I rarely hear of anyone having issues with the Cummins diesel.

By the way, the shop quote for new injectors was over $2000....dayum!

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: masonry

Re: Smoking Duramax

never had that problem,but i have a friend with a ford.he had to replace his injectors.cost him a boatload.i think about 3500.00.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

When was the last time that you changed the fuel filter(s)? Plugged filters can cause smoking.

Changing out injectors is usually not that big a deal and you might look for rebuilts. I don't know if the smaller ones are rebuildable.

This is our local place http://www.angelfire.com/mech/dis/DisTest.html

Albert Einstein
Old 10-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service

They sell a T-shirt at the tractor pulls that says, "If it doesn't make black smoke, it must be broke.", or something to that effect.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
L&B Enterprises LLC

Trade: General Construction/Handyman Services

It is definetly your injectors. GM has a 200k mile warranty on them as long as your truck is an LB7 RPO code (since its a 2003 then it is)

Check out Dieselplace.com for more info on the D-Max