Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Powerstroke 6.0 Limp Mode

6K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Deckhead 
#1 ·
First time this has happened.

Flying up I5 8-85 mph hit the first part of the grades and went in to limp mode. Threw the wrench icon.

I know I have to put a scanner on it and see what codes it threw....but

all gauges indicated normal.

MAP sensor seems a likely candidate.

System reset and wrench icon disappeared.

162k miles, 12 years old....

maybe time for a new truck....

#8 ·
Putting a scanner on it and reading the code is fine, but DO NOT clear the codes. You will delete a lot of information a tech may need. There are also two sides to a computer and they don't talk to each other and can hold different codes. Ford is famous for doing that.

#11 ·
Yeah, my next truck I might get one but I'm waiting for them to catch up on this emissions crap. I don't tow near the weight I used to and now with gassers the way they are you don't save a whole bunch on day-to-day gas mileage. My Titan XD gasser I get about 15 mpg unloaded, put a hefty payload in it or tow a few ton and it plummets. My Dodge Dually 6 speed I got 17-19 unloaded and about 15-16 towing 10k lbs.

If you're not towing often, it just doesn't make sense anymore.

#16 ·
I never had any issues with our 6.0 dually, 06 model 4x4 between 14k miles and 196k miles just changed oil. Guys used it as a work truck, i used it to haul dumpsters, 20 yard dump trailer, skid steer, mini ex, tractor ect... just changed oil and brakes.

Then everything started to go to **** fast. Body was still great so I sold to a buddy for 6k who dropped a new motor in it.

My BIL and a couple buddies have the new 6.7 and are getting over 18 mpg... I got 11 in the 6.0 and 12 or 13 in the old 7.3 but they were duallies. My lead guy has a Longhorn Dodge dually and is getting 16 and he's always pulling. My next truck I'm going to get a diesel again I guess and keep a few more years. At another 6 mpg I'll make up for the cost of the diesel. The 6.2 gas pulls better than any gas truck ive ever had but fuel economy sucks and i drive a lot

Reactions: griz
#17 ·
The thing that sucks going from diesel to gas though is when you know you are going to have a heavy load you think nothing of it in a diesel. I agree the gassers are much better than before but you can still feel the difference after being used to the diesel.

#18 ·
I bet trucks are cheaper here. Lots of people fly into Texas to buy trucks and drive back.

Xlt f 350 4x4 diesel can be had for 52k or so if you look.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#22 ·
If you get serious about buying you another sled holler at me and I'll give you my salesman's number. He sold me, my brother and my dad a truck, and my wife's car, and just sold a truck to my in-laws. He got me a unreal price on a Limited model Ford Explorer with all the bells and whistles. Several thousand cheaper than anything I have ever heard of and I had been looking online for more than a month. My buddy paid more for his XLT than I did for the Limited version with every Bell and whistle.

He doesnt haggle except on trade ins, just sells at the cheapest price he can. TxElectrician has a Salesman like that also, both times I was trying to buy my truck though was Christmas and he was on vacation, my dad went up there and it was the same thing he was on vacation Thanksgiving week. I always buy my truck right around Christmas. Got lucky buying one truck from this guy and then just calling him and telling him what I wanted and he calls when he's got it.

You can fly in and I'll pick you up take yall to the dealership and buy you a steak, you and the misses can drive back to California in the new ride :thumbup:

Reactions: griz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.