Magnetic Signs Stuck To Truck

Old 06-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Lawn Care
Rewards Points: 250

Magnetic Signs Stuck To Truck

I generally use my white pickup for working, and my red one on the weekends, but a couple weeks ago, I used the red one to deliver some mulch, so I slapped my magnetic signs on it. I've used these signs before, with no problems. Until now.
I left my signs on the truck for 2 or 3 weeks, during very hot weather. Now they won't come off! I can lift a corner, but no further. I've even tried the pressure washer, at the car wash, and a plastic scraper. A small piece of paint came off, while trying to get the sign off.
Anyone ever have this happen before?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,056

Re: Magnetic Signs Stuck To Truck

Had this happen when I left the magnet on the black dump trailer for months. Took some chunks out of the magnet when I finally decided to yank it off. It still works and sticks well to the DRW.

I had two magnets blow off in the Winter time though. If I were to do it again would go with vynil on the windows.

Try a hair dryer???

Old 06-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Rewards Points: 1,000

New one to me. BTW, contrary to popular opinion, my magnetic sign dealer said to remove the signs from the MIDDLE, not the corners. That was news to me too.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I've had them stick a little bit but never like what you're talking about, it sounds like they've bonded to the paint. It gets plenty hot here too, like 120* in the time it takes to hit a Port-O-Let.

Is the paint new? Do you wax your trucks?

I'd go back to the sign guys and see if they have some tricks. Maybe you just need to heat them up again with a hair dryer or heatgun.

Albert Einstein
Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 2,980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt View Post
Maybe you just need to heat them up again with a hair dryer or heatgun.
That would be my suggestion as well, that or maybe park it in the sun for a few hours.....then give it a pull.

www.gebcon.com
Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
New one to me. BTW, contrary to popular opinion, my magnetic sign dealer said to remove the signs from the MIDDLE, not the corners. That was news to me too.
X2 and you are suppose to apply a heavy coat of wax to the door to prevent the magnet from sticking like yours has.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: DIY Home Owner
Rewards Points: 13,268

Yup, had it happen. Both side stuck after I left them on for a few weeks without removing them. I peeled one of them off with a putty knife and it came off in chunks. The other I left on for quite a while until I bought a new truck. Had to turn the old one in for trade, just peeled it off with no regard, came off without much struggle, unlike the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 06-27-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
Pro

I had used a carnuba wax product(Beats-Um-All) about 6 months ago. I was fixing to wax it again, that's why i was gonna remove the signs.
I tried on a hot day, and on a cold day.
A sign maker has recommended trying a hair dryer on another hot day.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Specializing in residential remodeling

fishing line or dental floss

Along with a hair dryer or heat gun (not to hot) on the settings, start at the corner that you didn't damage already attempting to remove and once its warm enough to remove it get the fishing line or dental floss and work it into the corner pulling tightly on the line between your hands(you might need some more hands) to help peel away the sign(s)...if you have any residue left just over remove that with either WD-40 or Goo-Gone and you're good-to-go. Ready for waxin' (in the shade) of course.

Good Luck Crawdad

Old 07-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,056

You also have to take them off every two weeks and wash the back side of the magnet and the truck. Guess metal can collect behind the magnet and rust the paint/truck.

Vinyl decals on the windows are the way to go.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 75

Here's an Idea! I'm thinking if the heat made it stick in the first place would the heat make it more stickier using a dryer or heat gun ???? . What if you rubbed dry ice over it. Just a suggestion. I would hate to ruin the finish on my truck.
what do you all think????
Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Sign Man

Trade: sign installer
Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to Mardi

Attached is the care instructions for door magnets. They should NEVER be left on for long periods of time without cleaning them and the surface they are attached to.

As far as removal of "baked on" ones, above suggestions are valid, use a hard plastic tool to lift one corner after heating them and either continue in the same manner or use dental floss to remove them. Paint should not peel if it is factory paint.

And yes, keep at least the magnet area waxed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Magnet installation and care 2008 for web.pdf (16.1 KB, 289 views)
Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #13

Trade: sign trade
Rewards Points: 10

this may be a late response, but I thought to post anyway, in case if anyone have a same problem.

Tips on using magnetic sigsn:

1. Signs shall be taken off every day and cleaned with warm water, as well as surface of the vehicle.

2. Magnets shall never be put on wet, unclean or freshly painted \ buffed vehicle

3. It is the best to take off signs for at least 1 full day a week to let the car paint under the signs equally faid with the rest of the vehicle.

Now, to adress OP issue: it is best to warm up stuck signs with a hot air heat gun (no propane and no flame) and then signs are very hot try to peel them off.

More details about magnetic sign care and usage can be found at esigns.com/magnetic-signs

Thanks,
Stan
Old 01-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
Pro

I finally took the signs off, sometime back in '08, using a heat gun and a plastic spatula. They came off in small pieces, it was a real PITA. It took the clearcoat too.

Freekin signs...