Ford Triton Blown Plug Fix

Old 03-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 824

Ford Triton Blown Plug Fix

Have any of you guys had an issue with the Ford Triton blowing spark plugs, resulting in a strpped head?
I just got done repairing mine, & found a pretty easy fix. It looks like it should hold up, & is way easier than most other fixes. The kit only cost about $60, & is made by Dorman. Some of the kits out there push $400, & are rather complicated. I spent an hour doing mine on an e350 box truck.
Anyway, Just thought I'd share my fix.
Joe

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Ford Triton Blown Plug Fix

sounds like they need a recall

Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: builder/renovator,Squam Lake NH
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Have any of you guys had an issue with the Ford Triton blowing spark plugs, resulting in a strpped head?
I just got done repairing mine, & found a pretty easy fix. It looks like it should hold up, & is way easier than most other fixes. The kit only cost about $60, & is made by Dorman. Some of the kits out there push $400, & are rather complicated. I spent an hour doing mine on an e350 box truck.
Anyway, Just thought I'd share my fix.
Joe

What year is your Ford I just purchased a 2007 F-150 with a 5.4 triton V8 guess I better do some searching on this.

I spent 15 years on the east side of Cincinnati I sure miss that
Skyline chili
Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquan View Post
What year is your Ford I just purchased a 2007 F-150 with a 5.4 triton V8 guess I better do some searching on this.

I spent 15 years on the east side of Cincinnati I sure miss that
Skyline chili

I have a 2000 F250 with a 5.4 Triton, it has 210,000 miles on it, at about 170,000 miles I changed 7 of the plugs, one of them is still the original plug because it is hard to get to.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Pro

Jeff,
They changed the thread to about double the length. I think this happened in '04, so it shouldn't be an issue on yours. For the life of me, I don't know why Ford made the thread so short to start with.
I'm right at 200,000 on mine right now, & wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of the same.
Joe
Old 03-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 1,726

I have an '04, that seems to be the only year it happened. I had 4 blow before I replaced the motor 2 weeks ago. I put in an '07 motor, with under 40000 on it. The 5.4 rarely blows from what Ive been told and read online, just very prominent on the 4.6.

Did the kit you use change the type of plug? Is it a help item from pepboys or somewhere like that? If so its only supposed to be a temporary fix...

If you change the plugs every 50,000 like they recommend it wont happen...whoops
Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #7

Trade: framing
Rewards Points: 75

i just changed the plugs on my 1997 f-150 i ran in a deep puddle and fouled the plug wire easy fix but man did my truck run liker crap then , so i just changed all the plugs since i was there anyways
Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #8

Trade: Asphalt Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

I own an '03 F150 5.4, at 23k I had a spark plug blow. Ford replaced the head along with all of the plugs. 72k one more, same side on the new head, both were covered. I now carry a easyout kit along with a helicoil kit just in case. I have 192K on it now no real problems.

I also carry an extra coil, they tend to go bad.
Regards,
Paul
Old 03-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,678

The later ones 2004+ had issues with the spark plug breaking off and not coming out.

In reality it's a low percentage.

I've owned a 2005 and currently a 2001. Both have been absolutely great vehicles.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Blew a plug on a 2002 f250 about a year ago. I don't like to take the risk of getting calouses on my pretty hands, so the dealership got the dough, - about $400.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #11

Trade: General construction and roofing
Rewards Points: 25

Here is the best fix for the issue besides replacing the head, http://www.blownoutsparkplug.com/index.htm .
If you believe any auto parts store or dealer repair will last then go to
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php and ask what others experience has been with low cost repairs. Ford only repaired non warranty heads, they replaced warranty heads, and a head can typically only be repaired by those methods once.
Also you do not need to replace plugs in these engines unless your computer indicates a misfire and nothing else fixes the problem. An inexperienced mechanic can cause this problem when changing plugs. The problem heads only have 4 threads in the aluminum.
Another thing to avoid is any fuel additives. Chances are they will lead to deposits on the plugs and that requires undue plug replacement. Cylinder combustion has came a long way in the last 15 years. Cleaner and more complete combustion causes less wear and deposits on spark plugs.
That repair in the first link looks to me like a pipe nipple with a little added elbow grease...

Last edited by whooley; 03-15-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #12

Trade: electrical

The issue affects early model 2 valve ford modular motors. This means everything from a v-6 to the v-10 can potentially have the issue. If you have a vehicle with the 3 valve head design, you are in the clear. The greatest number of trucks affected were model years 99-03.

This is considered to be one of the greatest manufacturing defects in the history of the auto industry. Believe it or not, Ford actually won in court, their reasoning being that improper torqueing of the spark plugs upon installation causes failure. Well, my '99 V-10 spit 2 plugs before the truck even hit 40k miles. Original set of plugs mind you, installed by ford.

In my opinion, Ford dodged a bullet with this one. It would have been the most costly recall in automobile history had they lost. Ford should be taking checks from Obama too if you ask me.

BTW, replacing the head is the worst thing you can do. It is terribly exspensive, if i recall correctly ford wanted $2,600 to change one. Even a new head can potentially do the same thing anyway.There is a fix that is much cheaper. If you have this problem, i dont recommend doing it yourself. The kit that was mentioned for $400 is the only way to properly perform the fix. For a person who is not used to doing machine work I would say that there is a 90% chance that you will mess it up. Then you really will need a new head. Just take your truck to a mechanic and have it done properly. I mean come on, we're all contractors here. Would you hire an electrician to do all your framing for you?

After i blew out the second plug, I opted to have my mechanic just do all 10 cylinders. It ran me $280 the first time to get just one cylinder. Another $940 for the other 9. But I now know that I will never have this issue again. I'm at 120k miles now, not a problem since. I change my own spark plugs now, :0

Last edited by Enzytebob; 03-30-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #13

Trade: Asphalt Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzytebob View Post
Ford should be taking checks from Obama too if you ask me.
Thank god their not!!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
Pro

Well,
So far so good! I have 8 months of daily driving, record high summer temps, & about 10,000 miles. This is in a 16' e350 box truck, on very hilly roads around Cincinnati. I havn't found any negative reviews of this fix, but that's not to say they aren't out there. The way I look at it, if it fails, the worst case senario would be to go to a "Time Sert" system, or other sleve insert system. This one doesn't increase the plug bore by any more than the std thread thickness.

BTW, Now NAPA also sells the same kit under their brand name.
Joe