Cracks In Tire Sidewalls

Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Cracks In Tire Sidewalls

I did a thorough spring cleaning on my trailer today. I noticed that both tires one one side have small cracks in the sidewalls.

What causes these cracks? And why only on one side of the trailer?

Strange.

Obviously I'll have to replace them, but I'm wondering what causes this. Weight seems to be evenly distributed in the trailer.

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,566

Re: Cracks In Tire Sidewalls

Orientation to weather & the sun...

Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Pro

I guess I should get covers for them if they're going to sit in one spot for a time. Sometimes the trailer is on a site in the same spot for a few months.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
I did a thorough spring cleaning on my trailer today. I noticed that both tires one one side have small cracks in the sidewalls.

What causes these cracks? And why only on one side of the trailer?

Strange.

Obviously I'll have to replace them, but I'm wondering what causes this. Weight seems to be evenly distributed in the trailer.

Thanks.

It's pretty common. I wouldn't be too worried about them unless they are really bad. Putting tire coatings on when you wash your car helps but the best thing for the tire is to do miles. There's oils in the rubber that protect the tires when in motion but when the tires stop they don't force the oils from the rubber so they dry out and crack. As Griz said sun also takes its toll on the tires if they face the sun most of the day and don't move.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 05-23-2012 at 07:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BCConstruction For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 590

its most likely dry rot through lack of use
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Pro

It may just be from lack of use. It sits for long periods. Anyone know of a good conditioner for them?

I use that tire spray foam. Maybe there's a better product.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
It may just be from lack of use. It sits for long periods. Anyone know of a good conditioner for them?

I use that tire spray foam. Maybe there's a better product.
I spotted using the foams as they seemed to dry the tires out faster than not using them. The ones that are more of a gel seem to work better. I'm trying the new turtle wax stuff they bought out. Been on the tires for over 2 months now and they still shine like new. You don't have to reapply them each time you wash your vehicle. Just wash the tires and the stuff looks like you just applied it. Meant to last 3-4month between applications but no idea if it helps them stop cracking I would hope it does for the price it costs though.

This was the other day after washing. The tires still look that nice even after I applied that stuff over 2 months ago. Plus it don't fling all over your paint work after it drys. Stays dry to the touch after 2 hours.

Cracks in tire sidewalls-image-2139338717.jpg

That's the stuff on the right.

Cracks in tire sidewalls-image-3624743565.jpg

Last edited by BCConstruction; 05-23-2012 at 08:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BCConstruction For This Useful Post:
katoman (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 2,658

This from an article I saw today.....
http://www.trucker.com/CMS.aspx?sect...ge=PROBLEMLESS

Quote:
While age will always be a factor in determining the service status of a tire or casing, there are so many other variables that must be considered. Perhaps the most obvious is the physical condition of the rubber. When tires are not used for extended periods and directly exposed to ozone and ultraviolet (UV) light, they go through a natural process called “weather checking.” As long as the damage doesn’t extend to the body or belt plies, it may be purely cosmetic and pose minimal risk to the driver if the tire is properly inflated and not overloaded.

I recently sat down with an engineer from a tire manufacturer to discuss the subject of tire aging, and we laughed about the recreational vehicle snowbirds who insisted that they purchased a bad set of tires because the “sidewalls were all dried out.” Of course, they usually leave out the fact that the “dried out” tires were facing south for months and the vehicle was never moved, but that doesn’t stop them from demanding a refund. When tires are allowed to sit out in the sun for extended periods of time, ozone and UV damage is unavoidable.

Likewise, the periodic use of many tire dressings and sidewall conditioners can have an adverse affect on the condition of the rubber. The majority of tire companies will say that the best way to preserve the appearance of a tire is to use it regularly and keep it clean, properly inflated, and out of the sunlight when it is stored for more than a few weeks. It’s also important to note that sidewall paint applied during the retread process will help preserve the appearance to some degree, but it cannot reverse the natural effects of tire age.
Seems there are some things you can do to minimize the damage, but probably your tires will be fine.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
katoman (05-23-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,730

Kato,

When I owned a junk yard in my younger days, we would stack tires up in the shade or cover them to keep the sun from beating on them, because UV rays and other elements break the rubber down, causing "dry rot".

I have a few friends with dealerships, they use 303 Aerospace Protection Spray on tires during winter months, this stuff is good for exterior covers covers, convertables, etc.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Construction Waste Management
Rewards Points: 322

I own a bunch of trailers, and make sure I spray tire foam on them once in a while. Not only do I spray the side wall, but also the tread that is exposed to the sun. I do not have any rot problems.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Check to see how old your tires are. You can buy "new" tires that may have been sitting around for years.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
Old 05-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,530

This is a common problem on RV's, camper trailers. The bad part is you can have a "new" set of tires and if you carry a load that is close to max most of the time, that's when that "new" looking tire will blow out and usually take parts of your camper with it.
A lot of RV'ers change their tires at a certain age point regardless what the tread looks like.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Home repairs,drywall,trim. Mesh addict.
Rewards Points: 2,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
This is a common problem on RV's, camper trailers. The bad part is you can have a "new" set of tires and if you carry a load that is close to max most of the time, that's when that "new" looking tire will blow out and usually take parts of your camper with it.
A lot of RV'ers change their tires at a certain age point regardless what the tread looks like.
Ditto